Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Step By Step, Mile By Mile: A New Snowkite Spot Awaits…

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Noahpz
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Big mtn snowkiting w/ lots of freestyle
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V3 - 7,9,11,13. Ozone Chrono EXP 15m.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Step By Step, Mile By Mile: A New Snowkite Spot Awaits…

Postby Noahpz » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:56 am

There are times when the reward of sessioning a new snowkite spot comes easy. You see the spot on a map (or GoogleEarth), you go there on a windy day and you score a fantastic snowkite experience. Then there are other times where one has to make repeated trips into a remote location, spend hours poking around by skins or snowmobile and you still come away without harvesting the goods.

Lately I have been paying my dues in reconnoitering the SW side of Sage Peak in the southern Madison Range. Every trip into this wild range has brought me closer to the ultimate goal of snowkiting this 10K+ foot peak. Still, in spite of my efforts, I have not achieved the target.

Last weekend Dave, J.J. and I got pretty close. We knew it was a no-wind day so we took our time and figured out where the best approach would be and what variations exist. The approach is technical. There are trees and highly incised terrain that may be an issue. Still, we came close to having the approach wired. Someday, soon, I’ll be back. On that sunny day in the near future, when SW winds are peeling off the summit, I hope to session this beautiful mountain and explore its snow loaded ridges and folds. Enjoy the pics! Thanks for reading and see ya out there.

Noah

btw, in spite of the winds being light and northwesterly, we still managed a despicably light wind session. Some sess is better than no sess…
Attachments
Wapati Ridge Session 5.jpg
Wapati Ridge Session 4.jpg
Wapati Ridge Session 3.jpg
Wapati Ridge Session 2.jpg
Wapati Ridge Session 1.jpg
Taylor Fork (Wapati Ridge) Wind Meter.jpg
LewMt Checking out Koch Peak.jpg
End of Day Toast.jpg
Sage Peak W-SW View.jpg
Bottom View of Sage Peak.jpg
Boondockin.jpg

metivir
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake George
Gear: HQ
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Step By Step, Mile By Mile: A New Snowkite Spot Awaits…

Postby metivir » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Cheers to exploration!
The place looks terrific

Return to “Snow / Land”