Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

First post! Need advice...

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Canadian
Rare Poster
Local Beach: oliphant, Sauble etc (Owen Sound'er)
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Oliphant
Gear: I don't, getting back into it (in past Flexifoil)
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First post! Need advice...

Postby Canadian » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Okay,

Names Ken,

I'm from Ontario about 2 hours Northwest of Toronto and I have some questions about kite skiing/boarding in the winter...I did it years ago with a 4.9 flexifoil Blade two line...no safety release, nothing...just hook in and hold on...gusts could be BAD...so I stayed out of seriously strong gusty conditions, so I know a bit about kiting,...but that was about 7 years ago...and I can see from video's I've watched some things have changed a little...

So in point form these are some of the questions I could use help with...

-I might like to progress to kiteboarding in the summer, (so was thinking of buying inflatable kites, for winter use), or is it better to stick with a foil kite in the winter? I like the performance of the Ozone kites, from what I've seen...
-I way 170lb, so in a 15-20km wind what size kite would I need to get some good 10 foot jumps? I have jumped before (not a lot though), I figure a 8-10 meter foil...12+meter inflatable...correct me if I'm wrong?
-what style skiswork best? Or snowboard?
-does anyone have any kite recommendations for me?
-and I know this isn't the second hand section, but if anyone has a newer than 2008 kite for around 400 or less, let me know...

That's about it hope someone can help with my questions and that I didn't sound conceded...

Thanks,
Ken

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Re: First post! Need advice...

Postby Craz Z » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:29 pm

Ken,

To answer your questions.

Foils are optional not necessary. (for me only they are too slow and have wing stability issues i don't care for this only MY opinion)

If you go the foil route and want to move to water make sure to buy a closed cell only. otherwise any modern day inflatable will do the job year round any discipline you choose.

By your description of experience you sound like your on a path to get seriously hurt especially on larger traction kites. Please take the time to at least try to find a kite instructor and take a few lessons this is repeated over and over for a reason.

(if you have no other choice fly only in light conditions and keep it static for awhile until you can fly with your eyes closed and ease into flyin the kite with a board and ski's USE EXTREME CAUTION if you are on a icy lake one accidental jump can leave you in the hospital seen plenty in my day.)

what style of ski's etc? (whatever is cheap or free and stays on your feet. If you have little downhill or actual sking experience the expensive stuff won't make you better.)

Kite reccomendations are a waste of time and more then likely to end in a pissing contest as is debating foils vs inflatables. Wise advice is avoid these topics all together.

Demo if possible as it sounds you already have. Try to find as many as possible to demo and try.
Try out the foils and all the inflatables.

Look for a push away release system. More depower the better. Any modern day kite 2008 or later should do the job. Keep it cheap cause your gonna thrash it learning. Just don't cheap out on safety.

hope this is what you are looking for. :thumb:

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:30 am

do you mean 15-20 knots or 15-20kph?

if its knots then a 10m will work. Expect a 10m depower, foil or lei top be about the same power as your 4.9 blade. Obiously with more wind range.

15-20kph. use a 15m both on land and in the water.

As stated above. If you are going for water aswell then lie or closed cell foil like flysurfer. If you don't mind a dual quiver then open cell foils are way more convenient on the land.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:30 am

Ken a 12m inflatable would be fine. I ride the same kites all year water or snow. 15-20 kilometers per hour is not enough wind to kite you want at least 12 knots (22kph) water or snow. Use whatever you like, skis, snowboard or even a sled whatever your preference is. For the water, you will need a kiteboard. Try to hook up with your local riders they might be able to help you find some used gear cheap and set you up with the local places to ride. I'm not that fond of the open cell kites on land because all of my favorite snowkite locations are pretty gusty and the open cell foil is not as good as a closed cell foil or inflatable for keeping its shape in a gust.

Canadian
Rare Poster

Postby Canadian » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 am

Sweet! Seems like I found another great forum here...was wondering at first with no responses, but not now...thanks guys those were great answers! Sounds like I'll be going with an inflatable kite and hopefully I'll be safe enough...I think I have respect...my first exposure was in New Zealand in 1999 with C-kites (single skin), crazy power and unforgiving...old school! You'd hardly ever see a kite like that any more...those Kiwi's were so good they'd take them out in open water, far from shore (the kites sink!!).. Yikes

Anyway, thanks for the tips
Ken

P.S. I meant KPH, kilometres per hour 15-20km's wind speed, not knots...

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:39 pm

As stated, any kite will do inflatable or foil
but many use foils as they are faster to set up and more durable on the frozen ground.

the Foil is much more packable as well for the hike...mountain kiting.

Ski vs. snowboard? your call. If you stay with the true snowkite idea...the one that works on all mediums, it is better to stick to the board as it is used also on grass and dirt (mountain boards ) as well as water.
Not too many people ski on water with kites/ ride on sand and grass with roller skis albeit it is possible.

Something to consider.
IKON Kiteboarding foils......and or other companies out there make really really good kites. Look around and maybe if you see yourself go into the mountains get a foil for the best day and most likely conditions. Otherwise< use LEI kites and make due.

Bring an extra pump, hand warmers to heat up the valves on the bladders (so they don't leak when you are pumping the kite up) also consider adding some fabric to the corners on the leading edge for protection against ice damage as well as. It is good also to add plastic tubing to the lead lines near the bar as this allows the kite lead lines to NOT BE CUT by the edge of the ski/snowboard.

i have a bunch of kites that are not that expensive that can likely work for you.

Good luCK!

Canadian
Rare Poster

Postby Canadian » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:11 am

Thanks Crabnebula,

I might be interested in some of your kites as winter approaches and thanks for the advice...

Ken

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:40 am

I think you would really like a 12 meter Ozone Frenzy for winter on skis - easy set up and take down, fun to fly, good safety release, durable, good wearable bag, and they are designed specifically for snow use over many years and it shows.

For skis I like the non-shaped skis because the shaped skis turn up wind when you put the on edge, so my friends have given me their old skis. If snow is deeper maybe with an ice crust on top, wider skis help. I also really like the ozone snow kite harness because it allows more flexibility and you can get lower to the snow, and it easy to put on over winter clothes. If you are a skier, stick with skis since they allow you to move around better when you set up and are more efficient in light wind I believe. Wear a helmet.

Canadian
Rare Poster

Postby Canadian » Sat Oct 05, 2013 5:23 am

Hey thanks Dave,

Do you have any suggestions where I could find a good used Ozone 12m kite? I do see many of your points, because like I said I had a foil kite and it was quite durable easy setup/take down etc..

Thanks,
Ken

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:25 am

Ken,

Search daily the online sites that sell used kites and you will find one. You should search for new sites, but the ones I know are, of course this one, kiteforum.com, ikitesurf, ebay, racekites, ebay uk, ebay ca, seabreeze, and craigslist. Foils seem more popular outside the U.S., so look for the non-US versions of Ebay, etc.

You might find a good discount on a new one or a last year's unused model, or a demo, as you search so ask them. You might try calling some dealers and ask them what they have, if they know anyone selling, also your area's distributor, and even Ozone.

It would be great if you could find a new one, even if last year's model. Safety systems, features, designs typically improve each year. I still love flying my 2007 model even though it was a lot of money at the time, it was a great investment. You write the check once and forget the cost, and enjoy the kite for years after that.

Return to “Snow / Land”