Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

FYI Colorado

Forum for snow- and landkiters
GeHo
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: So far, Lake McConaughy up in Nebraska!
Gear: OZONE: 12m Catalyst, 17m Zephyr, 7m Frenzy, 11m Frenzy
BEST: 5.5m Kahoona, 9.5m Kahoona
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: FYI Colorado

Postby GeHo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:00 am

rickythecat wrote:Lake Dillon update:
Fresh powder! - over a foot deep! - 3200 acres! - *untracked!
The lake now has ALL good snow coverage! Dillon (north) side is open for business.

*Untracked until yesterday :thumb: Can't believe I had it all to myself.

See ya out there,
Rick
Hey Rick,
Having it all to yourself is easy, when you live a couple hundred yards away! Ha! :baeh2:
Looking to come up this Friday (7th). Wanna hit Copper when the lifts open? Maybe after lunch, blow up a kite and due it up at the Res or maybe Green Mtn. Give me a jingle: 970.310.three one one two
Cheers,
Gene

rickythecat
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Dillon, Colorado ~ snow
Gear: CORE, EPIC

Postby rickythecat » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:07 pm

"Ha! :baeh2:" ......... Yup!
Looks like I'll be sharing my end of the lake with Anton today - if winds don't get too strong. I was out yesterday, dead winds, so ended up walking back through about 18' of (still fresh) powder.

Gene, I am going to be at Copper all day Friday (I'm a Copper Ambassadore), so I won't be able to kite Friday, but can probably hook up for some runs. If you are there early enough, I'll be having breakfast in Jack's (7:45 - 8:30). Otherwise, I'll give you a call after that.
Also, I'm the only ambassadore - bright green jackets - you'll see on a snowboard :nono:

1 -2 feet of snow predicted for Saturday!

Rick

g-force junkie
Rare Poster
Local Beach: no beaches just big mountains covered in snow
Style: kiteskiing
Gear: Naish x3 17
Naish areo 2 14
Naish ar5 9.5
Naish arx 9.5
Rrd lupe 7 12
Cabrihna blacktip 7
Cabrihna co2
Mosquito pro ks 5.5
Head mojo 90 twin tips
Head racing skis

Postby g-force junkie » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:24 am

Rick
Been dying to come up but Saturday looks like carnage with strong gusty west.1 to 2 feet of powder, at least the landings won't be that harsh.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:45 pm

My buddy Ryan and I drove up to Dillon on what looked to be a promising forecast last Sunday to snowflakes falling straight down in a whisper of a breeze. Making a loop back through South Park the winds began to blow nicely and we scored a session at Chubb Ranch park on top of Trout Creek Pass. Upon doing some research online I learned that winter sports in that area are among a large list of activities that are not allowed so I doubt I'll be doing that again. HOWEVER, Mushroom Gulch just a couple miles away off Highway 285 is filled in and goin off! Had an amazing 3 hours of riding alone yesterday and the winds are going to do the same thing the next few days. That place does not get ton of snow but it's on right now FYI. Enjoy.
Salida Chris
Attachments
mushroom gulch kiting 014.JPG
mushroom gulch kiting 021.JPG
mushroom gulch kiting 019.JPG

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:32 pm

Hey Chris Country - cool pics!
Never thought to check whether a specific SWA would have exclusions - didn't realize some are coops...so I'll be sure now to do a little more research before I just assume I'm good to go. I'd hate to make a sour impression of kiting to someone.

I may have to check out mushroom sometime-looks like cool terrain. I live on the front range but am constantly scoping new terrain to kite and as such I drive all over the place...(had a rippin' 2 hrs alone on 11 mile yesterday-so willing to drive hours :!: ) so if you ever want to not kite alone let me know.

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:08 pm

Jeff, did we meet a few weeks ago at the Sanitarium before Ryan and I decided to go to Green Mtn. Res? I've always wondered about 11mile as I heard it can happen there too. Honestly, I'm a little over frozen lakes as terrain is what keeps me interested anymore and if I can find some rolling terrain....bring it on!
I'm going up again today but the winds after having blown all night long, have kind of backed off so I don't expect a repeat. Possibly friday again? You can ring me if you are thinking of coming up.
Chris seven-one-nine two-two-one 9550

FrontRangeJeff
Rare Poster
Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:09 pm

Hi Chris,
Nope, wasn't me up there that day. I am of same opinion of lakes - flat gets old quick but I tend to end up on them from time to time during my exploratory quests. Just seem that regardless of the season we've had snow-wise what I set out to check on frequently ends up swept clean of snow by the winds! I have found some cool BLM spots that are occasionally good. Lakes just sure do seem to hold the snow so they tend to be "old standby" :D

11 mile was pretty great yesterday - turned on like a switch and aside from a single pickup truck on the other side of the lake I was the only person for what felt like 100 miles. The snow was a bit crusty but the wind was steady and more then plenty, pretty lit. Only downside of 11 is that there is zero snow around the shore - so absolutely no terrain to cruise.

Friday looks iffy for me but if I head up I'll ring! Here is my # as well. I may end up in the Westcliffe or 11 mile area Monday.
Jeff - three zero three three three two 1234

chris country
Rare Poster

Postby chris country » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Went up to Mushroom again yesterday, wasn't nearly as good as Wed. The wind had more north in it and it was gusty as hell. I got hit with some gusts while on my 8m. that had me concerned, plus the snow was heavier. I'm going up again today as I have concerns about how long it will last with temps in the mid to high 50's. Hope ya'll are gettin on it.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Really nice pics of mushroom gulch.
Thanks for sharing.

GeHo
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: So far, Lake McConaughy up in Nebraska!
Gear: OZONE: 12m Catalyst, 17m Zephyr, 7m Frenzy, 11m Frenzy
BEST: 5.5m Kahoona, 9.5m Kahoona

Postby GeHo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:40 am

Steamboat! Arrived into town today, had a quik bite to eat and scooted on up to Steamboat Lake for a sesh on new terrain for me. Stopped off at the Vis Cntr, nice guy behind the counter, picked up the daily $7 pass and headed over to the West side to the Marina. Pretty cool area, with plenty of kiting with winds coming from just about any direction.
Got an 11m Frenzy session in for a bit over an hour and a half. Killer snow conditions!!

Aloha! :beer:
Attachments
Snapshot Steamboat Lake snowkite Feb 22 2014.png
Snapshot Steamboat Lake snowkite Feb 22 2014.png (163.08 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
IMG_3520_1.JPG
IMG_3520_1.JPG (34.13 KiB) Viewed 1719 times
Last edited by GeHo on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Snow / Land”