All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Fall session 3.600m at Les 2 Alpes glacier, France. + VIDEO
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:05 pm 
Medium Poster

:P

Video here :

https://vimeo.com/110900038

Well, last session here on the glacier Les 2 Alpes 3.600m.
The ski resort was open only one week during the autumn hollidays here in France.
Now, it's closed and we'll have to look for the further snowshower on our usual spots to go snowkiting again.
European glaciers in Austria, Switzerland, Italy and even Tignes in France, will keep open but it's too much far to drive from our place here around Grenoble.

Here is a view about the icy snow waves around.

So, for this last session in Les 2 Alpes, the wind was blowing South.
The southern snowfields are smaller than the northern ones which are really wide.
And these southern snowfields are ending soon with vertical cliffs, so the South wind blowing is meeting the sharp edge of the ridge, that makes strong gusts.
The sun is warming the south faces since early morning so the thermals are coming full speed and make the session harder and harder along the day.
The snowpack was really hard as well.
Very warm and nice weather all along these two last weeks destroyed the super powder snow here.
About the crevasses, there are not so much risks than on the Northern snowfields.
It's more safe but of course we have to keep super careful anyway.

The Southern snowkiting area less dangerous with crevasses than the Northern one, but let's keep careful all the time.

It was a super 4h session with great blue sky.
I brought two kites with one bar : HQ M8 Montana 14m and 8m but only the largest size was useful today.
I was fist at the queue for the gondola at 7h and ready for snowkiting about 9h with the first sunbeams hitting the summits.
I stopped about 2 PM.

In the background we can see the ski resort. And about 1/3 of the southern snowfields available for snowkiting.

Now the weather forecast announces snowshower for next tuesday but about 2.000m and even 2.300m which is higher than our snowkiting spot.
Let's pray that they are wrong as usual so perhaps the snow will come to 500m below.

I'm currently editing a video about this session, explaning how to get to this glacier for kiting the southern area and as well with some tips about the safety points to keep in mind.
So stay tuned my friends.

Tschusssss

:thumb:

Boulgakow.

{ SHARE_ON_FACEBOOK } { SHARE_ON_TWITTER } { SHARE_ON_ORKUT } { SHARE_ON_DIGG } { SHARE_ON_MYSPACE } { SHARE_ON_DELICIOUS }
 [ 1 post ]