Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Roadtrip

Postby rvrrat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:02 am

lol: All loaded up and ready to roll. Headin' west tomorrow! First stop is Gunnison Colorado to hook up with my buddy from the Tug who has been gettin' it the past couple weeks. Then on to Skyline and then Idaho and then Wyoming.Looking to ride class 1 to 4. Gonna have a new kiter with me who I hope gets into this as much as I am. I would love to hear from some of you western riders! It looks like you all are rockin' out there! JR
Attachments
IMGP4285.JPG

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Re: Roadtrip

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:34 am

Sweeeeet, JR!!!

Have a great trip. I know you'll get some and I don't see how your newbie will not be as addicted to the sport after traveling with that much stoke! Good times. :thumb:

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:46 pm

JR,
Hope you're having a great trip. Gunny should be good to go. I know the local boys have been getting out at Blue Mesa on the flats plus adventures at Taylor and Snow Mesa. You are welcome to stop by after Gunny. We've been getting lots of good days on Red Mountain and Lizard Head passes. I hope we get some freshies to soften things up!
Buen viaje,
Matt

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.

Postby rvrrat » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:21 pm

We are a week into our trip and the Gunnison area has been good to us. Great crew out here with lots of awesome terrain to ride. We hit up the pass between Spring Creek Reservoir and Taylor Reservoir on our first day. Must have been 15 or more miles in on the machines. Great snow but lite wind. It was perfect for our first day. Then got some good wind and fresh snow on Taylor the next day. But Saturday was the shit. Scott and Kevin got us down to Snow Mesa and Jarosa Mesa. This is what I came here for. We had bluebird and mild temps and good wind for the big kites. I am definetly blown away by this place. Much bigger then Skyline and wilder then the Bighorns. We hit Snow Mesa first after a short ride in. Had a tough climb on the last pitch to the top. Pretty exciting on my Machine. After 3-4 hours there we loaded up and went over to the other side of the pass to Jarosa Mesa for the evening sesh. I got a real magic session with great snow and wind. Gonna get another day at Taylor today then it is off to Wyoming with a stop in Steamboat. Lookin' forward to hookin' up with the Captain who is there on vacation and brought his kite. A little invasion from the east! Thanks for the invite Matt. I will get there! JR
Attachments
IMG_0735.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0876.JPG
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0917.JPG
IMG_0952.JPG
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0987.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:36 am

Hangin' out in Steamboat a couple days. Got to ride with CaptainArgh who was out for some of this deep pow. Steamboat has had 64 inches of snow since Jan. 1st. Our plan was to go to Rabbit Ears Pass and ride today but the pass was closed. So we checked out a local map and found a place called Steamboat Lake State Park. It was well worth it. Better then up on Rabbit Ears in my opinion. Way more terrain to ride and better wind and visibility. It is a lake of course but with tons of terrain off the lake. I am surprised I never heard about it from the locals. Maybe they don't ride there. The rangers said they don't see kiters. We met one local who told us we were the first kiters he has seen there besides himself. Check it out. It is worthy! JR
Attachments
DSCN4098.JPG
DSCN4114.JPG
DSCN4126.JPG
IMGP4582.JPG
IMGP4603.JPG
IMGP4632.JPG

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:21 am

Yeeeeeeehaaaaaaa!!!!!!!! That was a great day.
So glad I met up with rvrrat and we stuck a finger on the right point of the map. Total calculated crap-shoot that paid off big! Beautiful terrain. Flat lake but with rolling shoreline all over that was clear of tall trees. It was quite the playground. A few more pics below...

This shot is actually off the lake, going up the shoreline (see campsite bathroom on top of hill)

check out those rad skis!

yup, was a great day out there for sure.

alden
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Outer Banks, NC
Cape Cod
Style: water, snow, land
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby alden » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 am

rvrrat BTW can your buddy from the Tug tell us which sites are open on the Tug? I hear that less sites are open than previous years.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:37 am

:thumb: Day 2 at Steamboat was frickin' awesome. We went up to Buffalo Creek Pass on Soda Mt. to do some laps and I brought my kite of course. The forecast was 10-20 so I took my 13m Frenzy. But the winds were more like 20-30 so I was overpowered to say the least. I will never just take one kite again. I wish I had my 9m. I did not know what to expect up there because I have never been there and had no beta. Not alot of room but great terrain and snow. Maybe 1st D? JR
Attachments
DSC09853.JPG
DSC09856.JPG
DSC09862.JPG
DSC09863.JPG
DSC09866.JPG

rvrrat
Frequent Poster

Postby rvrrat » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 am

:idea: Hey Alden. The only place that I hear that is open to ride on the Tug at any time is Steve Hanno's. Jan said that they had corn in there this year so you need good snow to cover it up. There will be more sites open for the Snowkite Fest, but only then. Doesn't hurt to knock on doors! JR

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm

looks like an awesome trip....love your "toys" ;-)

Pls make sure to make pictures and add locations to www.splocs.com

Would be great!!!!

Enjoy the trip!

Return to “Snow / Land”