Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

New Cabrinha kites! White inside lines - arrg!

forum for snow- and landkiters

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Re: New Cabrinha kites! White inside lines - arrg!

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:52 pm

Is there something specific about these lines that makes it impossible to just order another lineset in color?

We sell only colored lines for snow use. But we don't deal with the kite you have so I'm not familiar if its got a brand/model specific lineset.

I'd imagine the black lines would be a pain to see in the water.

Professor Robae'
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Professor Robae' » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:48 pm

Yes - In the Cabrinha 2015 line diagram you can see multiple line segments that make up the front/ inside lines - so it would be pretty difficult to duplicate.

I did find the most heavy duty Sharpy markers available and carefully colored one line red and one line blue for three kites - which was a bit of a hassle. The color bleeds off a bit in ones hand when you wrap up the bar but that is getting less and less with each wrap. The color has faded a bit - but they will never be white again!

My Cabrinha contact said colored lines are in future plans - so we'll see!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1900
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:32 pm

Two ways to get "colored" lines, because you can't dye dyneema. 1. Have a tracer yarn be woven into the line like how North does theirs. 2. Put a sheath on it like how Liquid force and I think Cab use to do. 1. Is less visible but lighter 2. More visble but heavier.

You could take some flagging tape and put little flags on your lines if you are so worried about being able to see them.

luke11
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1995
Local Beach: Hood River

Postby luke11 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:04 pm

This is what I understand about the colored lines.

Cabrinha wants to make their lines as user-friendly as possible. This translates into a priority being placed on "tangle-free" lines for summer users. One of the most important properties to make a tangle-free lines is "slipperyness". If lines are slippery, then as you unwind them or walk them out, they will un-tangle easily as each line slips off the other rather than stick to one another. This is also very helpful during messy tangles as you might imagine.

The line's material is slippery to the extent that it is difficult to install a dye that will actually adhere, especially over time. Getting dye on our hands as we wind up is a small issue. However, if a wet bar is rolled up with a kite, then there is a possibility of the dye slipping off the line and onto the kite canopy. Not so good.

When I started snowkiting 18 years ago, the lines were white and we didn't know any better. Then, for a while Cabrinha had 4 colored lines and that was sweet for snowkiting. The latest lines have 2 white and 2 gray lines. Yeah, I would love to have 4 colored lines but it sure is easy to almost just shake the lines off the bar, tangle-free and launch.

If anyone comes up with a home remedy, please post up.

Cheers.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OCX
Gear: Airush, Best, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:34 pm

Q-Powerline comes in orange and yellow, but most people who use it are nuts like me!

crabnebula
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Local Beach: mount washington nh
Favorite Beaches: Skyline, Utah
Style: in the air spinning
Gear: Ikon, TOBE, Julbo
Brand Affiliation: Ikon Kiteboarding, TOBE, Julbo

Postby crabnebula » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:52 pm

It's fairly easy to color lines in many different ways....for the white lines that I have and the lines that I have worked with on many inflatables, you can take little pieces of flagging tape and cut maybe 8-15 pieces about 1 inch long, then near the end of one piece you can cut a small slit, then simply over the center and flying lines, you can larks head ( girth hitch ) the flagging tape to easily make the white lines visible, then you can take them off for summer and cheaply replace them anytime. Placing them every 10 ft doesn't create to bad of a distraction and are super visible on snow

Return to “Snow / Land”