Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Good snow at Rabbit Ears Pass

Postby rvrrat » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:08 am

Finally got myself back west again. Passin' thru Colorado on my way to Washington in the Big Truck I was able to get 3 good days on my kite and found some real good conditions. I eddied out in Gunnison and hooked up with Scott. He got me out to Spring Cr Pass on Sunday. It was 15 miles out passed Taylor Res. on his sleds. We found the soft snow he told me we would find. Plenty of wind for my 9m Frenzy. Got 2 sessions there and then finished the day with a powerful sesh on Taylor Res. on my 7m. The next day we had some new snow. The roads sucked and the chain laws were in effect. No point in truckin' so we went down to Snow Mesa south of Lake City. This is one magic place. We had 4 inches of fresh on top of a firm base. Good enough wind for my 9m Frenzy and the fresh snow made for some sweet turns. That place is endless with all kinds of cool terrain. Gotta be one of the coolest places to ride I have been. The roads cleaned up today, got back on the road and made my delivery in Buena Vista and started for Jackson where my next stop is. Got to stop and sneak a sesh in at Rabbit Ears Pass where I hooked up with Windrupted who is on a Rocky Mt Kite Tour. We had 6-8 inches new on a firm base and strong winds. We threw powder for a couple hours into the sunset. Not a bad 3 days here in Colorado. JR
Attachments
IMGP7657.JPG
IMGP7681.JPG
IMGP7689.JPG
IMGP7695.JPG
IMGP7701.JPG
IMGP7704.JPG
IMGP7710.JPG

nate76
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado
Wyoming
Nebraska
Style: oldschool, Light Wind and big kites
Gear: 19m Zeekai
9/12/15/18 Matrixx III
5.5m Apex V
7/12m HQ Ignition II
9m HQ Topaz
Brand Affiliation: HQ

Re: Good snow at Rabbit Ears Pass

Postby nate76 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Hi rvrrat,

Do you happen to have a lat/long for the location of your Snow Mesa Session? Is it Park and Ride accessible?

I've heard some good things about that area and have been wanting to check it out.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 9m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:23 pm

Hey JR, well-played on your major kite score! Sorry to miss you this round - next time. Thanks for posting the pics.

It's been hard to focus on kite adventures with all the sunny t-shirt mtn biking weather. Hopefully fluffiness falling this weekend. At least the days are longer and the afternoon thermals are kicking in.

Nate, you should rally west and meet up with the Gunny posse and the San Juan Airheads for an adventure. Snow Mesa is just east above Spring Creek Pass between Lake City and Creede. It's a machine-in or 2 hr skin approach. It'll blow your socks off! There are other not-as-windy spots roadside toward Creede a few miles. And if you get skunked, salvage the day with the bacon-wrapped poppers at the Packer Saloon in LC.

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:04 am

Matt is correct. Scott in Gunnison is the Snow Mesa Master. Not only does he know all about the local kiting, but I think he has as much fun turnin' folks onto the local goods as he does ridin' it himself.. Find Spring Cr Pass on the Colorado Highway map south of Lake City Colo. Park at the parking area on the right side of the road coming from Lake City. It is right at the Continental Divide at the pass. There is a well groomed snowmobile trail leaving from the parking area across the road. It would be an easy boot pack or skin up the groomed trail to the top of the plateau. When you climb over the last lip by the cornice you will not believe what you are seeing.UNLIMITED riding with awesome terrain features to be had. I have been to quite a few of these incredible western riding spots. Both park and ride as well as machine access and Snow Mesa ranks right at the top of the COOL factor. Sorry SW Colorado kiters if I am spilling the beans so to speak but the word is OUT. Hell, Snowkiting is dead anyway according to some on this forum. Maybe it is just for the folks out there with a huge sense of adventure and needing some other way to enjoy skiing or riding without hangin' around a bunch of tourists. No tourists at Snow Mesa! JR

nate76
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado
Wyoming
Nebraska
Style: oldschool, Light Wind and big kites
Gear: 19m Zeekai
9/12/15/18 Matrixx III
5.5m Apex V
7/12m HQ Ignition II
9m HQ Topaz
Brand Affiliation: HQ

Postby nate76 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:20 am

Thanks for the info guys. I definitely need to make it out there. Unfortunately familial obligations are keeping me busy at the moment. I hope to make a trip sometime this winter though.

Any youtube videos anywhere of this area?

Return to “Snow / Land”