Rare Poster
Gear: none
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need an advice for buying a kite

Postby p33k4boo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41 am

Hi everyone,

I'm totally new to this forum and kiting as well, but I'm looking forward to buying a kite and start learning, so I would appreciate your advice.
I've tried land kiting once with my friend and his 4 m2 kite (4 line with handles), learned a few things, it was quite good as for the first time having in mind that the wind wasn't really strong.
Now I'm thinking of buying a 3,5 m2 kite with handles and cannot decide between those two:
1. http://www.powerkiteshop.com/hq_alpha.htm
2. http://www.crosskites.com/cross-quattro

is there any big difference between those? they are quite identical, but maybe you know more about these brands and could share your experiences of using those kites.
and is there a very big difference between 2,5 m2 and 3,5 m2? is 2,5 m2 enough to learn landboarding sometime in the future?
p.s. i am a girl, but i'm like ~190 cm tall and over 75 kg, also I'm doing sports, so I guess I have some strenght and power to control a little bigger kite.

will be waiting for your advice :)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Need an advice for buying a kite

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:58 am

Do you want to simply static fly the kite?
or do you intend to jump on a landboard or kite buggy and zoom around?

p33k4boo
Rare Poster

Postby p33k4boo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:54 am

well, first of all I'd like to learn to static fly it.. but I am also not denying the possibility that some day i'd like to trylandboarding. but I guess that would be in the distant future, first of all I want to learn the basics

andrewjohn
Medium Poster

Postby andrewjohn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:58 pm

Unless you think you might buggy and never go depower, buy a trainer kite on a bar not handles.
It'll be a much easier transition when you do get a depower kite.

p33k4boo
Rare Poster

Postby p33k4boo » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:00 pm

thank you for the replies.
but isn't a kite with handles safer and easier to use, only because it has depower (if to compare a 2 line kite with bar and 4 line with handles)? i mean, if i see that something goes wrong (even when flying it simply on the land, without boards or any other gear), i can just make it lose all the power and prevent damage.
and what about the whole process of learning at the beginning? do small, simple kites soon become too easy to fly when you get some experience? i understand that, for example, 2 line kite with a bar is maybe easier to handle, perfect for the beginning, but if i already tried one with handles and in few hours learned a few things and managed to control it, would it be a bad idea to continue learning with this type of kite?
maybe i'm asking dumb questions, dunno, just want to make a right choice :)

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:33 pm

p33k4boo wrote:thank you for the replies.
but isn't a kite with handles safer and easier to use, only because it has depower (if to compare a 2 line kite with bar and 4 line with handles)? i mean, if i see that something goes wrong (even when flying it simply on the land, without boards or any other gear), i can just make it lose all the power and prevent damage.
and what about the whole process of learning at the beginning? do small, simple kites soon become too easy to fly when you get some experience? i understand that, for example, 2 line kite with a bar is maybe easier to handle, perfect for the beginning, but if i already tried one with handles and in few hours learned a few things and managed to control it, would it be a bad idea to continue learning with this type of kite?
maybe i'm asking dumb questions, dunno, just want to make a right choice :)
Hi,

What fixed bridled kite comes with only two lines? This is obviously a child toy or something from year 1999.

A fixed bridled kite that is sold with a bar (RTF) will be either 3(most common) or 4 lines and you will have the same ability to kill the power as a kite flown on handles.

http://www.powerkiteshop.com/kites/hqbeamertsr.htm - 3 line kite with bar.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 pm

u need a control bar if you want to kiteboard and a trainer that is a "kiteboarding" trainer kite. if you just want to do stunt kite tricks ask over on kitelife.com here on kiteforum.com we only do kiteboarding not stunt kiting.

stunt kiting (this uses two handles)

kiteboarding (this uses a control bar)

they dont have anything in common other than they both use kites.

Choose your path wisely. :-)

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:25 pm

edt wrote:u need a control bar if you want to kiteboard and a trainer that is a "kiteboarding" trainer kite. if you just want to do stunt kite tricks ask over on kitelife.com here on kiteforum.com we only do kiteboarding not stunt kiting.

stunt kiting (this uses two handles)

kiteboarding (this uses a control bar)

they dont have anything in common other than they both use kites.

Choose your path wisely. :-)
You edited your post.

This sounds like an attack against land kiting which is the original kite traction sport.

Mr edt, not only can I out jump you on my landboard, I can also out speed you very easily.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Edt is right and wrong. Kitesurfing uses a kite on a bar. But it is possible to kite with a 4 line fixed bridle kite on handles on land.

Many kite buggiers use kites with handles as do some learning to landboard.

So it is a valid option.

However if you end came is to landboard then using a kite on a bar is the better option. Look for a kite with a bar that safety system so you can let go and kill the power of the kite and not loose your kite.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:53 pm

i like landboarding. the landings can be hard on the body tho.

i edited the post a lot. I try hard to make my responses as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Return to “Snow / Land”