Flysurfer Peak2 vs Lotus Speed 4

Forum for snow- and landkiters
shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0

Flysurfer Peak2 vs Lotus Speed 4

Postby shawn13 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:54 am

Last year I decided that I would not snow kite another season with my Cabrinha inflatables. Many of my local riders are on Lotus Speed 4s all year around. I will continue to kite Cabrinha on the water.

I am looking for a snowkite and when I questioned the local dealer about the Peak2 he recommended I should just get the Lotus instead.

After reading different reviews online its hard for me to make a decision. The Flysurfer website states the peaks all have min 3.5 - 4kts with the max kts changing with kite size.

Would I get more benefit with a peak2 as the range seems to be massive on a 6 or 9m? Or would I be better to get a speed 4 lotus 10m? I want to start with a size that will give me max range and build a quiver from that if i enjoy the kite. Typically conditions on our frozen canadian lakes range from 10-20kts and gusty.

I currently own a 7m/10m SB and a 13 Xbow.

poldo
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak2 vs Lotus Speed 4

Postby poldo » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:34 pm

very very different kites

Sp4 is all about jump and speed. Closed cells pure foil.

Peak2 is pure freeride. Somehow more similar to tube kites. Smart kite.

I vote Pk2 9m for massive range, easy to open/close/have a rest and cheaper, but best thing would be you to have a test of both

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:16 am

I kite in Ontario in summer and winter. I use Flysurfers in summer and Conceptair Smart kites in winter. I prefer the Conceptairs in winter because of their much better gust handling behaviour in the gusty winter winds. They turn quickly but move slower across the wind window and have less lift and they drift really well. They are much easier to land in strong winds, you pull the strap that connects the steering lines and the kite drops and stays in place. The flysurfer flaps and takes some time to come down and then pulls a bit and dances around until you secure it. I find it easier on water. I know you were asking about the two Flysurfer kites but thought my experience might be of use. I have not flown a Peak but do really like the Flysurfer Speeds.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:54 am

the peak 2 is really an amazing kite if your wind is gusty and luls to almost nothing. ive kited with speeds and tube kites while using the peak and what makes the peak perform so well is its extremely light weight design being a single skin foil makes it stay in the sky more than most kites so when others fall out of the sky and have to use the next gust to relaunch, your already still in the air ready for the power. its very user friendly and easy to pick up if you dont have any foil experience. prob one of the easiest kites to self land as it just crumples up and sits there when you put it at the far edge of the window. one of the fastest unpack and repack times as well and you dont have to pre inflate it since theres no cells.
a 6m would be good from 10 to 20 if your riding clean ice. if your riding snow then a 9m will cover you from 8-20 kts. they def have the power of larger kites but its not that great for jumping since it. you can still huck your self up there when you figure out how to do it(much different then most kites). also half the price of the speeds. they depower to almost no power. it depowers by fluttering the wing tips and trailing edge of the kite but still goes to the edge of the window instead of deeper like a cloud.

if you have more consistent wind that doesnt lul below 4kts and want big hangtime jumps then go speed.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:07 am

Great thanks for the advice. I think the choice would be the Pk2 9m. I only boost on water, and seems like the kite for Lake Simcoe's gusty high/low conditons.

Much appreciated!

Return to “Snow / Land”