forum for snow- and landkiters

gurke
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Fastest Speed on Snow?

Postby gurke » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:44 pm

hi,

anyone knows someone who was faster than 120km/h on snow by Ski and Kite and logged this by gps?

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 9m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Re: Fastest Speed on Snow?

Postby matthepp » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Check out hardwaterkiter.com. Chris probably knows. Sounds fast. I think fastest speeds are somewhere around 120kph.

gurke
Rare Poster

Postby gurke » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:39 pm

I would like to know if someone was faster than me :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1uu7p7GxvI0

The hardest part to do such a speed is to wait and find the right conditions ;)

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:18 pm

Yes there are people faster than you. Not many but a few. Some by choice and some by chance. :wink:

Last year you would have been the fastest in the Hardwater Kiting GSR

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/snow-kiti ... sults.html

My top speed for 2014 was 123.28 kph. https://youtu.be/E1LNyyfpKzc

The only speed session I got for the season. Like you said conditions have to be just right and it's often a waiting game.

My official best is 76.6 mph. (2014) Unofficial is 84.3 mph.(2012)

Per rules of the GSR all official speeds are recorded on no less than 2 gps units (I use 3) and the data has to be downloaded and scrubbed and verified by an independent 3rd party. (We use KA.72.)

My unofficial is what it is because it happened at the end of the day and 1 GPS lost power, another was broken in a crash. The third captured the entire session and the data was scrubbed of spikes and verified. But it is only one GPS, so the 84.3 doesn't count per GSR rules.

Someone sent us the link to your video not too long after you posted it on youtube. It's always nice to see the speed from an outside perspective. AND THE SOUND! I love the sound. It's unmistakable.

This season you should join the ranking. It's a good time and it's fun to see how you stack up compared to others. Frustrating too. :wink: You obviously have an interest in speed (which is a rare thing it seems) and you can handle it. But you need to find a flatter area. Using an incline disqualifies as it isn't pure wind driven kite power getting you the speed, gravity is helping a bit. :nono:

Great video though. Looks like some nice riding and the surface looked like primo rock solid edgeable styro.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:26 pm

gurke wrote:anyone knows someone who was faster than 120km/h on snow by Ski and Kite and logged this by gps?
Is the "on snow" the important element you are looking? Many other >110km/h speed records are on clean lake ice.

On ice:
Hardwaterkiter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maVKGNc3AQk
KaiS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1HfBf9owU

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:33 pm

Ice seems to be an ideal surface but in practice some of my personal best speeds were in wet spring corn snow.

Ice allows for faster speeds and acceleration with less effort and less wind. But it is only as useful as the edge tune on your equipment and the ability of the kiter to make the best use of that edge.

After doing this for almost 15 years I still have people telling me that you can't edge on pure ice.

We get a lot of ice here.

https://youtu.be/eH36spidvLI
Attachments
Snapshot - 211B.jpg
20140127_143216_Sunset Beach_resized - Copy.jpg

gurke
Rare Poster

Postby gurke » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:58 pm

hi,

thanks for the answer. Nice Speeds. Is there any cheap good gps device which tracks every second? I have one, but it was not really cheap :D
The GPS from the iphone doesn't seem to have the same accuracy.

You guys in Finnland/USA and Russia are lucky ;) I would love to go faster and also on flat ground. In Germany i don't have the chance at all and in the alps there isn't very often much wind and also good conditon. If the meteorologists are right we have a chance for a cold winter in Europe :) Maybe a lake in Germany will freeze :D

Did you find out what windspeed you need at least on ice and also on hard snow to go over 120km/h by kite?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Postby plummet » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:Yes there are people faster than you. Not many but a few. Some by choice and some by chance. :wink:

Last year you would have been the fastest in the Hardwater Kiting GSR

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/snow-kiti ... sults.html

My top speed for 2014 was 123.28 kph. https://youtu.be/E1LNyyfpKzc

The only speed session I got for the season. Like you said conditions have to be just right and it's often a waiting game.

My official best is 76.6 mph. (2014) Unofficial is 84.3 mph.(2012)

Per rules of the GSR all official speeds are recorded on no less than 2 gps units (I use 3) and the data has to be downloaded and scrubbed and verified by an independent 3rd party. (We use KA.72.)

My unofficial is what it is because it happened at the end of the day and 1 GPS lost power, another was broken in a crash. The third captured the entire session and the data was scrubbed of spikes and verified. But it is only one GPS, so the 84.3 doesn't count per GSR rules.

Someone sent us the link to your video not too long after you posted it on youtube. It's always nice to see the speed from an outside perspective. AND THE SOUND! I love the sound. It's unmistakable.

This season you should join the ranking. It's a good time and it's fun to see how you stack up compared to others. Frustrating too. :wink: You obviously have an interest in speed (which is a rare thing it seems) and you can handle it. But you need to find a flatter area. Using an incline disqualifies as it isn't pure wind driven kite power getting you the speed, gravity is helping a bit. :nono:

Great video though. Looks like some nice riding and the surface looked like primo rock solid edgeable styro.
I think 84.3 makes you the fastest "unofficial" kiter on the plannet!... The world record for kite buggy is 84.2 mph. Until now I have not heard of anyone going faster than that official or otherwise. .....

Tell me more about the kites you used to get the 84.3?
What kite? what size?
also what was the wind speed on that day?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:31 pm

D'oh! Sorry that was a typo. Now I feel like a jackass.

83.4 is my unofficial. The dang buggy guys still have me beat. Although when we go out we go out unsupported and we ride all day if need be. A little different than how the buggy guys operate or how the top buggy speed was attained.

Kite: Peter Lynn Phantom 2 Prototype
Size:12m
Winds: 30kts gusting to about 45kts+
Surface: Firm corn snow.

It was a long day. Kept playing in the rotors coming off the island to the north. Was relying on the gusts to get the speeds.

Sorry for the corfusion on the speed.
Attachments
83.4sebago.JPG
83.4zoom.JPG

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 pm

Conditions that day were similar to conditions in this video.

But a lot more wind. :D

https://youtu.be/acn5JvnVT9E

Return to “Snow / Land”