flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: kiting snow board

Postby flyingcamel » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:39 am

only kite specific snowboards i know are from noble and aboards. i use an arbor roundhouse which is an all around board that works great for almost all conditions. the most important thing is to get a board that will match the conditions that you get the most with your riding style. i believe that most boards will work fine as long as they arent too flexy.

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby whiteout » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:58 pm

I prefer a snowboard with camber and standard to low sidecut. The serated edge board will be effective on the hardpack or ice surfaces. I did not like the reverse camber board it worked ok in the deep powder but underperformed on all of the other surfaces. Have fun.

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:54 am

Any good twin tip board works fine in snow. A lot has to do with where you are riding. Frozen lakes?, Roadside parks & open areas?, Real backcountry with serious terrain?

For the 1st 2 anything at all is fine. If you're going into backcountry areas & covering miles of terrain - I'd recommend using a splitboard. I've been a long ways from my launch point 2 times & had the wind die or visibility go to absolute 0 & ramped up wind. If I would have been post-holing back to my ride it could have been almost disaster....with a splitboard it was no big deal. There's a kite specific splitboard made in Utah https://www.facebook.com/3B-Snowboards-322268500402/, Never Summer makes the SL model which is more true twin tip than most factory splits or you can make your own with a D.I.Y. kit
Last edited by lewmt on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

grtlakes
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: ontario
Favorite Beaches: hatteras area
Gear: lf overdrive, sector v5, mako king,NHP split,
lf happy foil

Postby grtlakes » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:53 am

Anyone try a snowfer uniboard?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:24 am

I don't see the appeal. They only have one edge so its nothing but heel side riding. Allows you to ride glare ice, but on any kind of snow.... give me a snowboard. Straight up ice sucks anyway. There is no fun cornering and its really just straight line riding that burns through your board and your knees. Rather wait for snow and use a proper snowboard. On snow its all about linking turns!

If its naked ice... I'd rather skate with a trainer for some novelty fun.

joe cheng
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: China, Qidong
Favorite Beaches: Qidong, Munai, boracay
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, ozone

Postby joe cheng » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:44 pm

lewmt wrote:Any good twin tip board works fine in snow. A lot has to do with where you are riding. Frozen lakes?, Roadside parks & open areas?, Real backcountry with serious terrain?

For the 1st 2 anything at all is fine. If you're going into backcountry areas & covering miles of terrain - I'd recommend using a splitboard. I've been a long ways from my launch point 2 times & had the wind die or visibility go to absolute 0 & ramped up wind. If I would have been post-holing back to my ride it could have been almost disaster....with a splitboard it was no big deal. There's a kite specific splitboard made in Utah https://www.facebook.com/3B-Snowboards-322268500402/, Never Summer makes the SL model which is more true twin tip than most factory splits or you can make your own with a D.I.Y. kit

Do you mean that a kitesurfing board can be used for snowkiting? So just take off the fins. Use a pair of hard boot on the open straps.

joe cheng
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: China, Qidong
Favorite Beaches: Qidong, Munai, boracay
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha, ozone

Postby joe cheng » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:00 pm

Any comments about the:

length,
width,
stiffness,

of a snowboard.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:38 pm

joe cheng wrote:
lewmt wrote:Any good twin tip board works fine in snow. A lot has to do with where you are riding. Frozen lakes?, Roadside parks & open areas?, Real backcountry with serious terrain?

Do you mean that a kitesurfing board can be used for snowkiting? So just take off the fins. Use a pair of hard boot on the open straps.
No, he's not saying a kitesurf board can be used for snowkiting.

I personally bought a cheap Head board from Amazon. It was £120 and it does the job fine. I don't cry when it gets scratched.

This is my board here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Head-Unisex-Ign ... B005F2BIQ8

I put cheap bindings on it and cheap boots.

I wrecked a brand new board in 5 minutes once. The field had stones and glass under the snow and I was desperate

What would a field have glass in the mud? :lol: :lol:

lewmt
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Mtns

Postby lewmt » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Any comments about the:

length,
width,
stiffness,
She was amazed, thrilled, & mesmerized.....ooops wrong forum.

Again - what conditions are you riding? Deep powder in backcountry? Marginal lake cover on ice? Lots of freestyle or huge airs, gliding, free riding? The deeper the snow the bigger the board - generally. Not wider - just longer. Do you currently have a snowboard? Its probably fine. If you're totally into backcountry riding in big terrain you may want something a little stiffer & floaty-er . Lots of twisty/turny freestyle handlepassy stuff - shorter & lighter.

Return to “Snow / Land”