Style: unfolded lawn chair maybe?
Gear: a couple Cabrinha's
a couple Switch's
some slingshot, Ocean Rodeo
Airush, Nobile, Trampa blah blah
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Colorado State Parks

Postby FrontRangeJeff » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:31 am

Volock - nice to see it being ok in part in a written form. I've had great luck at 'boat state park - super cool people and I've always stopped by the visitors center to chat first - never hurts :)

kited for hours and hours there but never got airborne.

Maybe someday we can meet up

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 9m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:01 am

Sojourner,
I too have been denied access for kitesurfing at CO state parks. Fortunately near here those spots aren't big losses. I am concerned that one day we may lose access at a Wildlife Area that has OK wind, now that they combined departments. I'm willing to take a ticket to court when that day comes.
Meanwhile, I think your best strategy is to stop in to the Elevenmile park office and get friendly with the park manager and rangers. The more they know about you and snowkiting could help, at least in allowing informal use as some other mentioned State Parks have allowed. Rangers are still himans even if they are sworn to enforce byzantine aircraft regulations. Being a dick will only worsen our image.
Next step is trying to change the regs through a Colorado snowkiters alliance but that seems like a longshot since there are maybe 13 of us...
Suerte.

volock
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Gear: Lots

Postby volock » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:30 pm

FrontRangeJeff wrote:Volock - nice to see it being ok in part in a written form. I've had great luck at 'boat state park - super cool people and I've always stopped by the visitors center to chat first - never hurts :)

kited for hours and hours there but never got airborne.

Maybe someday we can meet up
I'd love to meet up some day. I don't get to the northern part of the state much. My parents live in Kiowa (about an hour due east of Castle Rock), and have yet to kite anywhere in the center of the state aside from Dillon. Planning on getting in a long weekend in January to hit the Creede area, or if you ever make it down to NM, let me know. Where's your usual?

The rangers at Eagle Nest in NM have been pretty awesome to us. I usually stop by and say hi and have had them when I called go out to check on conditions for me. Glad it's true of there. If I ever end up making it up there I'll be sure to thank them. It looks like an awesome place to kite.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:02 pm

UGH - I hate reading stories like this.

We can try to educate but that usually falls on deaf ears as the powers that be are more afraid of things they don't know about than any legitimate safety concerns. If this were an issue of snowkiting threatening an endangered species you could revert to scientific studies but this clearly not the case.

Being an a-hole only puts an even more sour taste in their mouths and would make it increasingly more difficult to gain access down the road.

My suggestion would be for a dozen of your snowkite buddies to pick a bluebird day and hit the area - and make it clear no jumping is allowed. While you are there make a documentary about how environmentally friendly the sport is and maybe show a couple of kids taking lessons and capture their enthusiasm.

When the group gets ticketed you exercise your right to be heard before a judge assuming this is an option. You fight the ticket and submit the documentary as evidence and hope the judge is sympathetic to our activities.

Outside of this the only other option would be to get one of the parks decision makers to get into snowkiting and influence from within. I think if there is an area in the country where snowkiting is just taking off this would be a great initial approach - get them involved from the beginning and show them how safe the sport is.

On the east coast we have an issue with being banned (kiteboarding) due to a threatened bird species and we have rallied the kiteboarding community to come together to fight this in court.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:21 pm

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:30 pm

corbett wrote:
NHKitesurfer wrote:
You fight the ticket and submit the documentary as evidence and hope the judge is sympathetic to our activities.
Evidence?

Oh come on, this is a joke, it must be.

I just noticed the title of this thread "Colorado".

Do skunk and end up like these nervous wrecks.

"someone is watching me kite" "police are after me" "going to get a fine" "already planning what to say to judge" "going to produce my own propaganda piece"

Classic skunk induced paranoia.

Don't do drugs kids.
You are one disturbed individual.

My comments come from first hand experience in dealing with kiteboarding and snowkiting bans imposed by the USFWS, DCR and Parks.

You obviously have no clue, or perhaps you live in a communist country?

corbett
Very Frequent Poster

Postby corbett » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:43 pm

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:09 pm

I just noticed the title of this thread "Colorado".

Do skunk and end up like these nervous wrecks.

"someone is watching me kite" "police are after me" "going to get a fine" "already planning what to say to judge" "going to produce my own propaganda piece"

Classic skunk induced paranoia.

Don't do drugs kids.[/quote]

You are one disturbed individual.

My comments come from first hand experience in dealing with kiteboarding and snowkiting bans imposed by the USFWS, DCR and Parks.

You obviously have no clue, or perhaps you live in a communist country?[/quote]

I am disturbed by YOU, man :cool2: .

This is paranoia and you have NO legal training at all. You should not go near any court.

The law is VERY clear on this subject. YOU MUST consent to regulation. VERY CLEAR!

Would you like to deal with that? You need to consent to regulations or are you going to avoid this like the other killer before you?

You are ALL spreading misinformation and I demand the owner of this site place sanctions on all of you!

PS: you'd probably go to child court anyway.[/quote]

Where is the Block User button? This guy is OOC

rvrrat
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Garrett County Md.
Favorite Beaches: Sinks of Gandy WVa, Snowmesa Co, Centennial Valley Mt
Style: Telemark Ski
Gear: Ozone foils
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby rvrrat » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:49 pm

:lol: I have to admit he is pretty entertaining. But the point of this forum is not for entertainment. Nuke his crap! JR

Return to “Snow / Land”