Ski bindings

forum for snow- and landkiters

Bertie
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Ski bindings

Postby Bertie » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:19 pm

What do you look for in a ski binding for kite skiing? Do you need a hiking binding like a Baron or Guardian? I'm assuming a wider ski is better, except on ice, so the binding needs to be strong. Are tech bindings man enough for the pressures of skiing with a kite? Do you use a touring boot?
I'd like to hear of people's experiences, good or bad. Thanks

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Re: Ski bindings

Postby waynepjh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:28 pm

Just about any binding will work. Its nice to have a touring binding in case you have to walk out or to help get you to new spots. I have been on the tech dynafit binding for 15+ years and they work great. They can be a little finicky with snow buildup but they are the most reliable touring binding on the market. when choosing decide if you want to use your traditional alpine boot or get the boots with tech fittings. imo light is right! Good luck

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:53 pm

True just about anything will get the job done. The binding doesnt care if youre on an incline or flat. And for sure AT bindings and some skins are ideal for Kiting.

Depends on needs. For me the weight savings of using a tech binding like Dynafit doesn't outweigh the performance of more robust systems geared toward "side country". They aren't up to the same duty as a binding like a Marker Duke, Salomon Guardian or the other brands/variants.

I've got 2 pairs of the First Dukes. One pair has about 800 miles on it. The other a little over 1300 miles. I have had zero issues. Last season My wife started riding Salomon Guardians and my light weight binding is the Tour F-12.

None of the bindings I use need a tech boot. I can run an AT boot or a plug race boot in any of them. And they all feel like " real " bindings. I can edge hard at speed on boiler plate with minimal torsional flex.

For dedicated minimalist BC skiing I had a stint where I was all about tech bindings. But the failure rate and occasional pain in the ass. And none of them ever felt like the bindings I could ski aggressively on. So for minimal skiing I switched to a telemark race set up and got Alpine Trekkers for the days I wanted to ski charge on my Alpine stuff.

But now these Semi-AT systems allow me to use the same binding everywhere in anything with anything.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: 2008 Best Waroo 9m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:03 pm

Agreed. Use what you would for whatever type of gravity skiing you're doing. I've been a Fritschi guy for years.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby waynepjh » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:24 pm

I have to send back lots of bindings for warranty and dukes/barrons are on the top of the list as far as issues are concerned. But i believe most issues are with people kicking there bindings to get snow off boot. Dynafit tech bindings are the most reliable and torsionally stiff touring binding on the market. I am 6'4" and weigh 200 pounds so I'm a big guy and ride powered.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:14 am

Fritsche is a nice compromise. Still use them once in a while. Used them fairly often for awhile then sheared a climbing ramp off with an edge. Had to limp back 9 miles with a heel that wouldn't lock. Otherwise a nice binding that is nearly Dynafit light but less tech.

If I were to go back to a tech binding I'd like to give the Marker Kingpins a run.

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster

Postby waynepjh » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:32 pm

The second generation kingpin has been good so far. have not seen one kingpin break yet. My new tech binding is the radical 2 by dynafit. Both of those have a more solid feel than previous generations. whatever you get treat them nicely! Be easy on your ski bindings, don't kick them to get snow off your boot. Step into bindings gently. jmo

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:20 am

I bought a pair of Marker Kingpins at the beginning of last season. I have used them for snowkiting many times. I have also pushed them hard at resorts and in the backcountry with zero problems. The bindings are just bomber. What makes them even better is that they are so easy to use compared to most AT bindings.

As far as skis go, that is so site dependent. I live in UT home to deep powder. I took a pair of big, wide Rossi Soul 7's in a 188 cm size to Austria last year. The locals stared at me like I was from another planet. They were all on sub 170 narrow skis.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:25 pm

Here in New England we all seem to have at least 2 types of skis. Some flavor of narrow old school straight skis and some flavor of powder width ski. Most of us more dedicated types like the "big mountain" skis, 100-108mm underfoot, stiff, some tip rocker and flat tail. Basically pow skis with GS race ski construction. Something to handle the wide variety of conditions that we encounter in longer trips. Last season we got enough snow I was on my powder boards more than I ever had been. 127mm under foot. This season so far it's been 215cm skis with lift and about 70mm underfoot.

Just got an Armada JJ for playing. Same flavor as the Souls. Probably killed any chance of deep snow for the season.

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Rufusz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Go for Dynafit if you consider ski touring as well, it will last forever. I'm using mine for 3 years so far and no problems yet... used to be a fritschi guy but broke mine 2 times.

Return to “Snow / Land”