Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Snowkiting - the best part of kiteboarding, but no one cares

forum for snow- and landkiters

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Re: Snowkiting - the best part of kiteboarding, but no one c

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:26 am

Foil with out bridles = Peter Lynn Arc. :thumb:

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:19 am

I appreciate all of the thoughts and comments on this subject. Skullcandy, you are not the only Utah kiter that snowkites 2 to 3 times a winter and there is nothing wrong with that. You have definitely dialed in when to go kiting on the water. I can understand your hesitancy to kite on the snow.

I think a lot of valid issues have been raised - cost, wind, visibility, distance, altitude, snow conditions (too deep, too hard, roughed up due to excess wind or lacking altogether), a steep learning curve, forecasting, and of course the cold. :cooltext:

Let's face it mountain snowkiting is going to remain a niche sport. I agree that a guide service makes sense, but no one is going to get rich doing it. You almost need to be one on one to provide safety and good service. I have seen Jeff Kafka try to chase multiple Kiters around on a snowmobile at Skyline. It looks exhausting. I have not seen him in a few years, so I guess he is not doing it anymore and I don't blame him. Big kudos to him for providing such an awesome service.

Today, I rode at the Strawberry Marina. I rode in areas with 18" of perfect untouched powder on beautiful sloping hills with interesting and varied terrain. There were no other kiters. It was quiet with partly cloudy skies and intermittent sunshine and light snow. Simply better than any powder day at a resort or spent in the backcountry. There was no chairlift, no schlepping up hills on skins, just non-stop powder all day and gliding through the air by myself. So, when snowkiting is good, well there is just nothing else that comes close...

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:11 pm

When I was skiing gravity fed Backcountry I would occasionally get those moments when everything was just right. I can't really explain it in words. I love to feel the elements, the solitude. Being out there and feeling as though I'm a participant in nature and its workings as opposed to witnessing it from the outside as we often do. Those moments when you just go "wow" and you feel so fortunate to be right there, right then. Snowkiting gets you a pure expirience that really connects one with nature. Unlike twisting a throttle or riding a chair both of which get you out there by fighting and dominating nature, kites get you out there by working with nature. I get a lot more of those"wow" moments on the kite. And I never would have imagined it would be that way.

Certainly snow Kiting in any form is a niche within a niche. But it is the most widely accessible form of kite powered fun. But you have to WANT to do it. When someone says they want to "try" snow Kiting that's already a bad sign.

The session you described sounds primo. I always have mixed emotions in those situations. I love being there and having it to myself but at the same time I want others to know what it feels like. Either way, I'm just glad that some of us "get it" and are fortunate enough to be able to experience it.

windrupted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: North Beach, Barney Line, The Wood in Ventucky, Island Park Idaho and Mt Hagin MT
Favorite Beaches: G-Land (Plenkung Point)
Style: Waves, Goofy or Switch
Gear: Craigslist
Brand Affiliation: Charles Shaw

Postby windrupted » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:59 am

OK then, here I am in Provo. All the storms have me confused which way to go. It looks like tomorrow will be a whiteout day at Skyline, so that leaves Strawberry? What do you reckon? Sent you a pm.

Kitesteph
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Madine Lake (FR), Renesse (NL)
Favorite Beaches: Sidi Kaouki & Dakhla (MO)
Style: Freeride & waves
Gear: Switch Kiteboarding & Blade Kiteboarding
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Kitesteph » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:28 pm

Tried snowkiting for the 1st time this year and I must say it was a great experience and much easier than I thought. On top of that it mixes my 2 passions ski & kite :thumb:

Return to “Snow / Land”