Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Powered Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 8m/10m/12m
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Snowkiting Binding Modification

Postby skullcandy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:16 am

When I Snowkite, I use my regular gravity snowboard and bindings with my snowboard boots. I move the bindings so they are in the middle (like a twin tip) and can kite and have a decent time. But I notice that the back plates make it a pain in the arse and the stance feels awkward compared to water (especially goofy / switch) - which is expected but its overly awkward IMO. Its like the back plates are prohibiting me from being in the position my body wants to be in so I constantly feel like Im fighting it and it strains my quads way more than when Im in the water.

So today I experimented...

1. I removed the back plates. This helped A LOT. But my snowboard boots were still preventing me from feeling normal. After all, they are meant to keep your body in a position for gravity snowboarding. So...

2. I then Adjusted the straps to the smallest position and wore my regular snow boots (not snowboard boots). The shortened straps simulated a water TT foot strap basically.

After doing step 2 I felt like I was liberated - kited around and had no quad strain and was much more efficient turning / carving in the powder.

Anyone else rigged their snowboard bindings and used regular snowboots (not snowboard boots) buckled in as I described and noticed a similar liberation?

PDCK
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Ozone.
Epic.
Axis.
WH.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Snowkiting Binding Modification

Postby PDCK » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:44 am

Hey,
I always remove my back plates too but never tried with non snowboard boots.
Will give it a try and report.
All about finding the perfect boots I guess!
M.

Sojourner
Rare Poster

Postby Sojourner » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 am

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2322846&start=10
10+ pages on your topic...

skullcandy
Frequent Poster
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Postby skullcandy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 am

Sojourner wrote:viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2322846&start=10
10+ pages on your topic...
Good talk -- thanks Man. That thread the OP raised essentially the same dilemma and experiment as I did. He was on point - No back plates + Soft(er) snowboard boots = similar feeling to boot bindings on kiteboard. Regular snow boots (a decent / sturdy one) that fits snug in your adjusted Snowboard binding feels more like kiteboard foot straps. My snowboard boots are super stiff which is why it wasn't ideal for me.

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:14 pm

I removed my back plate and also back strap and use a regular boot with the fron strap only . it makes a whole difference in ride flexibility and best of all if you are learning u can kick the board off if u need to instead of having to stop after a fall and rotate yourself all the way around . they really should look into making snowkite specific boards without all the locking down of the foot its too restricting and not necessary. Here is a short video of it. around the 1:35 mark u can see wht the board looks like with some of the back parts removed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zddebeVYT0E

Billy Bordy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Deer Creek
Style: all of it, but not enough.
Gear: North REbels, Dynos, Evos, Juice. North pro 5'3/ and 5'11, North Nugget, North team 137 Nyt pads. North formula. Horque foil, other foils.
Brand Affiliation: Athlete for North Kites

Postby Billy Bordy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:58 pm

I prefer highbacks, and run the as upright as possible.

skullcandy
Frequent Poster
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Postby skullcandy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:07 am

Here is what I did... nothing new at all, just had this sudden realization and didn't really think of it until this past week. No fighting the stance, much more relaxed and water like.
Attachments
boots.JPG
boots.JPG (30.72 KiB) Viewed 1328 times

skullcandy
Frequent Poster
Zephyr 17m
Mako 150

Postby skullcandy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:10 am

Billy Bordy wrote:I prefer highbacks, and run the as upright as possible.
For sure - its all personal preference. Some high backs are more upright than others. I tried my buddy's snowboard on the mountain (downhill snowboarding) and he has his super upright - it was like there was no heel side support when riding. But that's how he rode. I went back to my board and bindings, with the setting as upright as possible, and it was drastically different. My bindings / boots are also super stiff - charging fast free ride. So for sure the type of snowboard boots and bindings seem to play a huge role.

Bigdog
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Brown's Bay Wolfe Island

Postby Bigdog » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:01 am

Here in the great white north we all ride flows set loose on the back achieves the more upright stance you want. Burton moto is a nice softish boot probably old model now.. There are quite a variety of flow models but all are great for kiting with the flip back.
This year its not very white all...dam green actualy.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire/Tomo, Loyd, Ion

Postby Da Yoda » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:16 am

Good read about riding with no highbacks.
http://snowboarding.transworld.net/unca ... BVCpEh7.97
I ditched them on my powder board and my snowkite board. The freedom is unsurpassable, just like surfing or skating. Only on steep, firm conditions, do I appreciate having highbacks.
I found the perfect stance for me was my front foot at 12* and my back at 3* duck. This allowed me the ability to ride toe-side and switch equally well. Any degrees more on my back foot, it was impossible for me to ride toe-side. I also like a slightly wider stance.

Return to “Snow / Land”