Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

unbowtieing kite in ultra gust conditions tips?

forum for snow- and landkiters

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: unbowtieing kite in ultra gust conditions tips?

Postby geopeck » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:26 am

Hard to say, a guy would want to be looking upwind. If it's all ragged terrain upwind like it is on the left of the photo then it might be bad pretty often from terrain effects. If you look at some of the other photos on the forum of snowkite spots then you'll see lots of wide plains with some rolling hills or broad mountain flanks or bowls, but what's upwind should be clean for as far as possible.

Winter winds can be fickle, they get channeled by terrain because they are dense and the cold air wants to run downhill instead of up. Based on what I ride I could see that ridge in the center of the photo splitting wind if it tries to climb up the face or being super turbulent if it hits a flank.

Just offhand that looks like a spot to hit when the prediction is for lighter wind. You can have lots of fun in 10 knots and you'll find little patches with stronger wind on the windward slopes.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:40 am

It is difficult to ascertain much from one photo. The slope looks fine but we cannot tell the predominant wind direction. Next time you go, take a small windsock with you. Watch the windsock, does the wind blow in a constant direction or does it make frequent shifts? Carefully watch your kite. You may discover areas that are much more rideable than others. Riding in the high mountains is very different than riding on the water. The wind flows around the contours of the mountain, much like water flows in a river. Big obstacles create wind shadows, eddies, etc. So, for example you might be riding in and out of an eddy without realizing it OR if the wind is blowing from right to left in your photo, you might be trying to kite in rotors caused by the wind tumbling over the ridge.

You might want to take a small windsock or ripstop tape and attach it to your ski pole and then survey the entire area. That will give you a better idea of what is going on. It may be that the whole area just has terrible wind or there may be areas that are good and some areas that are best avoided. Another idea is to scout out the entire area. You might find suitable wind in an area nearby.

Good luck with your observations and be careful. Your life is not worth a lousy kite session.

BOEMIX
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m & 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m, edge 13m, access 6m
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50 and Ketos Foil freeride2
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BOEMIX » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:58 pm

The wind normally comes from the left of the pic. I tried to upload a vid taken at that spot but it was impossible :angryfire:

But i have never been in danger with the kite pulling me downhill or something.

The problem is there blow some kind of strange "twister gusts" that don't last more than 2-3 secs but just enough to twist your kite.

Kite sessions always end more due to the annoyment of untwisting the kite, not for a dangerous crash or something like that.

Return to “Snow / Land”