Rare Poster
Local Beach: Worthing, Brighton, Littlehampton
Gear: MBS Jeep Commando 16
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite Landboarding with a Dual Line Kite

Postby Trampskey » Sun May 22, 2016 11:56 pm

Is it possible to kite landboard with a dual line kite, and if so what are the differences between using a quad line and a dual line.

I ask because quad line kites and control bars are crazy expensive, where as dual line stuff can actually be bought pretty cheap. However I don't really know the difference enough between the kites to judge for myself. I know the regular advice is "save a little harder and get the perfect stuff" but I am on a real shoestring budget here, and if I can't find a cheap way to learn I'll just have to stick to mountain boarding (on the mountain board I bought second hand for 15 quid, because that was about what I could manage)

Thanks for any help given.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Kite Landboarding with a Dual Line Kite

Postby plummet » Mon May 23, 2016 1:09 am

Yes it is possible. I learnt on a 2 line Peterlynn Peel.

But it will be limiting. You will be able to go backwards and forwards in a very limited wind range. Also 2 line kites are typically not designed as traction kites. So many will no perform well at all.

Trampskey
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Worthing, Brighton, Littlehampton
Gear: MBS Jeep Commando 16
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Trampskey » Mon May 23, 2016 8:26 am

Alright then. Thank you for telling me. I'll see if I can find a quad line alternative in my price range.

I appreciate the help. Any recommendations for kites?

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:16 pm

2 line kites don't make good traction engines as they are hard to relaunch and like the eairlier poster said they are generally not made for that type of power especially the lines. Get a decent 4 line kite for boarding. I don't know whats your weight or wind conditions but if u gonna get a fixed bridle kite then a 3m is a good size to start and if its a depower kite a 7 to 8m. there are lots of cheap unknown brands out there that can make a decent first kite and if u want to spend a little more for something that's well made u can go with the major brands like ozone , hq and so on. HQ kites makes several different 4 line kites at a reasonable price so I would highly recommend them.

Return to “Snow / Land”