HQ montana 9 for beginners?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: HQ montana 9 for beginners?

Postby windrider1 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:01 pm

may be in Russia corbert but people are a little more civilized here in the usa. my luxury car will be just fine exactly where I parked it. You and foilhole should get your heads examined asap. I bet none of u have a social life or a gf or friends in general. am I right? be honest.

corbett wrote:The problem kiting with a luxury car is that when you get carted off to hospital, that cars gonna be left at the beach and nicked or smashed up by the time you're released lol.

Sorry to put that thought into your guys heads lol.

NilsF
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hardangervidda plateou
Style: Noob
Gear: 2014 Kahoona V6+ 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NilsF » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:56 am

Hardwater Kiter wrote:Mountain wind reports and forecasts are good baseline reference but in my riding areas they are rarely reliable. Knowing the terrain and how it affects the wind in a given direction is a lot more useful but takes a long time to learn.

The Apex is a very versatile kite. Apart from the reduced lift it is actually a lot of fun and mor forgiving than a Montana would be. Some people can get them to jump with a slight change in timing but it isn't as lifty as a Montana. The best gust handler in the HQ line IMO. It's less money and a great kite. You may eventually out grow but it will allow you to really get your foil kite handling figured out with minimal risk, effort and cost.
Totally agree on the wind reports.. Starting get some knowledge on how the wind works at my spot, luckily some kiters share alot of information regarding local conditions giving free information to the rest of us which are in the early learning phase :)
Regarding the Apex in sceptic to use as main kite, I would rather evaluate it as a kite nr 2 for high winds.

pstkk wrote:Have you considered a Flysurfer Peak 12m? It's 3000 kr cheaper than a Montana 14m. Compared to a Montana, the Peak will start in less wind, have a larger wind range and the handling will feel more akin to the LEI you already have. Also, while the Peak is great for beginners, it's not a kite you'll outgrow if you're into kiting on mountains. Here the Peak's depower range and gust handling abilities will open up the mountain and make it possible for you to kite places that would feel way too sketchy on most other kites. Main downsides are jumping (but it's still possible to jump, fine for beginners) and upwind (not likely to win the Red Bull Ragnarok, but still fine).
I dug in reading on the flysurfer, looked pretty neat.
I see it listed with max wind 16 knots for 12m - would that be to avoid damaging the kite itself in stronger wind..?
Also it seems to be without the 5th line depower.

It's so damn difficult to choose a kite, when it is many good options :D

One kite I've taken a second glance is the Peter Lynn Lynx, seems to have nice wind range too and just enough play to be fun - any experience with them anyone?
How would it compare to Frenzy/flysurfer peak for instance

I've widened my search to abroad which gives my a little better variety of options :)

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:56 pm

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Rough and tumble
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:42 pm

NilsF wrote:
Hardwater Kiter wrote:Mountain wind reports and forecasts are good baseline reference but in my riding areas they are rarely reliable. Knowing the terrain and how it affects the wind in a given direction is a lot more useful but takes a long time to learn.

The Apex is a very versatile kite. Apart from the reduced lift it is actually a lot of fun and mor forgiving than a Montana would be. Some people can get them to jump with a slight change in timing but it isn't as lifty as a Montana. The best gust handler in the HQ line IMO. It's less money and a great kite. You may eventually out grow but it will allow you to really get your foil kite handling figured out with minimal risk, effort and cost.
Totally agree on the wind reports.. Starting get some knowledge on how the wind works at my spot, luckily some kiters share alot of information regarding local conditions giving free information to the rest of us which are in the early learning phase :)
Regarding the Apex in sceptic to use as main kite, I would rather evaluate it as a kite nr 2 for high winds.

pstkk wrote:Have you considered a Flysurfer Peak 12m? It's 3000 kr cheaper than a Montana 14m. Compared to a Montana, the Peak will start in less wind, have a larger wind range and the handling will feel more akin to the LEI you already have. Also, while the Peak is great for beginners, it's not a kite you'll outgrow if you're into kiting on mountains. Here the Peak's depower range and gust handling abilities will open up the mountain and make it possible for you to kite places that would feel way too sketchy on most other kites. Main downsides are jumping (but it's still possible to jump, fine for beginners) and upwind (not likely to win the Red Bull Ragnarok, but still fine).
I dug in reading on the flysurfer, looked pretty neat.
I see it listed with max wind 16 knots for 12m - would that be to avoid damaging the kite itself in stronger wind..?
Also it seems to be without the 5th line depower.

It's so damn difficult to choose a kite, when it is many good options :D

One kite I've taken a second glance is the Peter Lynn Lynx, seems to have nice wind range too and just enough play to be fun - any experience with them anyone?
How would it compare to Frenzy/flysurfer peak for instance

I've widened my search to abroad which gives my a little better variety of options :)

Peak vs. Frenzy is apples vs. oranges. Peaks and Access kites are closer in performance though very different kites. In terms of high winds and the Peak read our thoughts on it here :. http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and- ... st-session

It seems this is less a discussion about the Montana and more a broader "what kite should I get" discussion. In terms of a kite that is user friendly, has the ability of higher performance but is still forgiving, I would go with HQ Matrixx 2, or Ozone Frenzy V10. The Matrixx will do double duty as its closed cell and can be flown on water. flies like a Flysurfer Psycho 4 but snappy and lighter bar pressure. Boosts long floaty jumps. Very good depower,and wind range.

The Frenzy is a powerhouse but has great depower and an awesome safety system. Fast turning and surprisingly broad wind range. Nearly as forgiving as the Access but with more power and lift when you want it.

In terms of tour/beginner kites HQ Apex, Ozone Access V6, Flysurfer Peak 2 and Viron DLX 2. All good fun low lift kites and amazing high wind machines.

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Gear: Ram air and single skin Foil kites. Long skis to truck, short skis to huck.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Flysurfer. Ozone, HQ kites and Gin kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:46 pm

In regards to the wind range on the Peak. The posted ranges on the FS site are conservative.

Here's an older review but nothing in terms of performance has changed yet.

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and- ... mpressions

NilsF
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Hardangervidda plateou
Style: Noob
Gear: 2014 Kahoona V6+ 12m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NilsF » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Hardwater Kiter wrote:In regards to the wind range on the Peak. The posted ranges on the FS site are conservative.

Here's an older review but nothing in terms of performance has changed yet.

http://www.hardwaterkiter.com/kite-and- ... mpressions
Yeah, you're right - the discussion took a turn after I kind of put the Montana IX away, as it seems to a bit too loud for a neewbie.
But I did take a dive into the reviews above, but I can't see that 5th solo-safety easy to land and pack line, also checked it out on youtube - seem to have pretty nice low wind capabilities ;)
But revealed weakness on stability when the gusts came rolling on.
* One question: is my interpretation correct with low end -> performance in low wind and high end performance in high wind?

Maybe I'm just too demanding ;)

I think to get the correct header for the discussion a new thread would be it its place, I might not be the only one going down this road..?

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:51 pm

If you are referring to the Ozone Re-Ride (5th line depower internal bridle) it works amazing. Drops the kite and allows for line wrapping without anchoring or securing the wing. We don't wrap the lines and go to the kite,we wrap and the kite comes to us. Even an 8m will lay still in 20 kts on clean hard ice.

The Peak is a different kind of kite. Once you learn how it functions and learn it traits it is a remarkable wing that can do things no other kites can do. But in terms of overall flight quality it isn't as nice to fly as most dual skin kites.

Return to “Snow / Land”