Kiting since: 1337
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: HQ montana 9 for beginners?

Postby foilholio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:32 am

Some guys I know have a cheap extra car just for kiting!

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:48 am

foilholio wrote:Some guys I know have a cheap extra car just for kiting!
Mr Foilholio, you know very well that we have many Dutch persons on here. Why do you insist on causing trouble by constantly talking about the personal ownership of cars? you know what happens when we do that infront of these people.

I have a message for Dutch people using this forum, I will apologise on behalf of Foilholio and I will do this in baby Afrikaans which they speak in Dutchland:

Ma ma goo ga ba ba wa wa suka.

Thank you and always wear a helmet!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:41 am

ROFL! gold!

Btw my name is Fabio now LOL. Anointed by none other than Sir Lord Dimitri his royal highestness.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 am

Did he? just call him The Migrant or Mr Green for green card :D

If Dimitri gives you anymore grief just threaten to phone up immigration :D

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:34 am

AHAHAHA!!!!!

He reminds me of Italians. I thought Dimitri was a Russian name? What happened there?

Oh lets google "Demetrius is the Latinized form of the Ancient Greek male given name Dēmḗtrios (Δημήτριος), meaning "devoted to Demeter". Alternate forms include Demetrios, Dimitrios, Dimitris, Dimitri, Demitri, and Dimitrije, in addition to other forms (such as Russian Dmitri) descended from it."

devoted to Demeter, sounds like dementer . Worships a female god, sounds about right. I see the name migrated north like most of the worlds problems LOL.

NilsF
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Hardangervidda plateou
Style: Noob
Gear: 2014 Kahoona V6+ 12m

Postby NilsF » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:42 pm

Thanks for good replies all :)

For my use, it will be purely snow and first of all playing around on frozen waters, climbing hills, touring around on mountain plateau. I've tried jumping around with my 12m kahoona v6 and gotten off the ground with maybe half a meter under controlled circumstances - which really has given me more taste for more :)

The wind at my spot seems to be mainly 3-6 m/s on sunny says, and 5-9 m/s on clouded - however the wind can suddenly increase a lot and fast - which happened the last time i was kiting..
The wind was steady 7-9 m/s all day and just as I rigged up and went off it increased to 11-14 m/s with gusty wind - sending me through the air involuntarily several times in totally uncontrolled conditions causing some heavy crashes before I was able to self rescue.

That would be one of the reasons I'm looking at foil, to get the 5th line total depower and open cell to get access those sunny days with only 3-5 m/s, as well as enjoying life when as long as it stays under 10 m/s.
If I want to go kiting in higher winds, that would be when I'm more experienced - and rather by a second smaller kite at later stage.

I put my eyes on the HQ Montana as it was in my price range and seemed to have a nice wind range, and lots of playliness :)
I've considered the HQ Apex V, and it seems to give huge bang for buck - but as the kiter levels up, will the kite follow up?
I'm afraid it won't have the final touch as I improve my kiting, and I would be looking for a new kite in a few years, same thought I had for the Ozone Access V6 - but would that be true?

The Ozone frenzy has of course been on the watch list too, but as it is quite expansive in Norway it would take a lot of self persuasion to go for it, as it costs almost 2100$ for a 11m2.

Unfortunately it seems we don't have very much variety here as the its a fairly new sport for the "masses", the kites above is basically the options, also one shop has some Peter Lynn kites.

geopeck
Frequent Poster

Postby geopeck » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:11 am

You might want to think about characterizing the typical wind at your spot - is it always going to have these big jumps and gustiness or was it just the days you've been kiting? You may be getting very localized terrain effects or you may be seeing the results of frontal systems poking around headlands and through passes.

At any rate, the safety systems are the same so you just need to be prepared to use them. I will say that when the montana is near the top of it's wind range in gusty winds it's going to require all your attention to work with it, while the apex is less nerve wracking. I use a 10m montana in smoother, lighter winds for riding terrain, and use a 7m apex for riding stronger winds that are going to be more ragged and are more likely to come with big and sudden variations.

Stay cool and learn in moderate winds. If you have to sit some strong days out because you have the wrong kite it's better than learning the hard way.

NilsF
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Hardangervidda plateou
Style: Noob
Gear: 2014 Kahoona V6+ 12m

Postby NilsF » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 am

I've had about 6 weekends this season, and the weather has been everything from full storm to sunny and no wind. It's at Hardangervidda (if anybody knows where that is) about 1200-1300 meters above sea level, huge mountain plaetou - so the weather can always change rapidly.
I've tried to monitor forecast and weather history, and it's difficult to find the "typical" wind for the area as it varies alot. History check indicates average of 7,5 m/s at winter, with max wind close to 20 m/s almost every month. I suspect that the weather station is somewhat shielded for the worst wind as I know it was 25-30 m/s several times this season.

I'm hoping to find the days with 4-10 m/s, the wind can be quite steady but always chance of sudden increase followed by gusts.
I've lost alot of kite days in my weekends as it has been 4-5 m/s steady and sunny, and it is these days it would be nice beeing able to go cruise around with a kite :)

Hardwater Kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: New England. So much better than moldy Old England.
Style: Adapt and overcome.
Gear: Foils and skis.
Brand Affiliation: www.hardwaterkiter.com Authorized retailers of Ozone, Flysurfer,HQ kites.

Postby Hardwater Kiter » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Mountain wind reports and forecasts are good baseline reference but in my riding areas they are rarely reliable. Knowing the terrain and how it affects the wind in a given direction is a lot more useful but takes a long time to learn.

The Apex is a very versatile kite. Apart from the reduced lift it is actually a lot of fun and mor forgiving than a Montana would be. Some people can get them to jump with a slight change in timing but it isn't as lifty as a Montana. The best gust handler in the HQ line IMO. It's less money and a great kite. You may eventually out grow but it will allow you to really get your foil kite handling figured out with minimal risk, effort and cost.

pstkk
Rare Poster
Gear: Zeeko, Flysurfer, Taaroa, Horue

Postby pstkk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:20 am

Have you considered a Flysurfer Peak 12m? It's 3000 kr cheaper than a Montana 14m. Compared to a Montana, the Peak will start in less wind, have a larger wind range and the handling will feel more akin to the LEI you already have. Also, while the Peak is great for beginners, it's not a kite you'll outgrow if you're into kiting on mountains. Here the Peak's depower range and gust handling abilities will open up the mountain and make it possible for you to kite places that would feel way too sketchy on most other kites. Main downsides are jumping (but it's still possible to jump, fine for beginners) and upwind (not likely to win the Red Bull Ragnarok, but still fine).

Return to “Snow / Land”