Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I'm new to landboarding

forum for snow- and landkiters


NewGuy
Rare Poster
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Gun lake state park
Style: Free ride
Gear: 9m liquid force envy
12m liquid force nrg
15m liquid force envy
17m slingshot turbine
136 liquid force drive
Liquid force foil fish
155 litewave Carbon
Brand Affiliation: None

I'm new to landboarding

Postby NewGuy » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:23 pm

I'm new to landboarding I already have a board but no foil kite yet. I'm looking into buying a flysurfer 12m but will this be to big or to small for me? I'm a touch over 200lbs also what kinda wind range will I get out of the 12m.

Thanks

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NY

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:50 am

In landboarding the general rule is your kite will be 3 or 4 sizes smaller than what ure using to kitesurf on a given day. Say for example everyone on the water is on 12m kites u will be flying a 8m kite and be well powered on that size on hard beach sand., on asphalt its a little less power needed and on grass a little more power. A 12m in landboarding will be your medium to low wind kite max size I use is a 14 M open cell foil kite, which would be equivalent to a 17m LEI. According to flysurfer the 12m speed will give u a windrange of 9 to 21 knts. I would say get the 9m as a first kite as the 12m will be to big. Usually most landboardrers start with an 8 or 9m foil kite. You will get more use out of that size.
You don't need a lot of power to move on land. I think most kitesurfers don't get that concept they always ask so wht happens when u fall. nothing happens. u go as fast or as slow as u want and u can jump of the board if necessary. the power dynamics is not the same in landboarding and its a much more of a relaxed kite sport.


NewGuy wrote:I'm new to landboarding I already have a board but no foil kite yet. I'm looking into buying a flysurfer 12m but will this be to big or to small for me? I'm a touch over 200lbs also what kinda wind range will I get out of the 12m.

Thanks

NewGuy
Rare Poster
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Gun lake state park
Style: Free ride
Gear: 9m liquid force envy
12m liquid force nrg
15m liquid force envy
17m slingshot turbine
136 liquid force drive
Liquid force foil fish
155 litewave Carbon
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby NewGuy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:03 am

I understand that it takes a lot less just didn't understand how much less it was. Do you recommend open cell vs closed and what brand do you recommend. I'm kinda partial to flysurfer cuz I can use on land or water but dont need it cuz I have a full quiver of LEI for water.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5532
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:49 am

Use 1 kite size down to start with. Then same kite size as water when you are experienced.
12m foil is a good size for land board. You can use it 10 20 knots. Stick to sub 15 to begin with. Foils typically give you more float and softer landings. That's good on land.
Smaller than 12m just use your lei's.

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NY

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:14 pm

I don't agree with this guy at all. ive been landboarding for more than 12 year there is no way we use the samepower as a kitesurfer it just dosent happen unless u intend to break something before your session is over and it probally wont be your board. . you are standing on a board with wheels when u landboard it takes very little to pull to move vs on the water where u are being supported and pulled by the kite 100 percent or u just will sink into the water. sorry don't follow this guys advise. like I said get the 9m if u want to get a flysurfer. you will get the most use out of that size . I love their kites also. if u want to go the cheaper route and easier route get a open cell foil as they will be a little easier to set up and pack down. Brands I trust are flysufer, HQ kites and Ozone kite. HQ kites makes excellent kites at the more reasonable prices out of the three.



plummet wrote:Use 1 kite size down to start with. Then same kite size as water when you are experienced.
12m foil is a good size for land board. You can use it 10 20 knots. Stick to sub 15 to begin with. Foils typically give you more float and softer landings. That's good on land.
Smaller than 12m just use your lei's.

User avatar
zob
Frequent Poster
Posts: 453
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:43 pm
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Grado Pineta (IT), Fossalon (IT)
Style: Freeride, strapless hooked-in
Gear: FS S3 19m2 DLX, S3 CE 12m2 DLX & S4 8m2 DLX
Homemade Surf & Snow Boards
MBS Pro90
Location: Iv.G.-Slovenia
Contact:

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby zob » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:50 pm

Windrider1, as you mentioned, there are different surfaces to ride on, and how they influence the ride it self, so let the guy judge where he's at.
Judging your reaction, you have the luxury of hard surface to ride on. Most of us don't.
I ride grass, in best case grassy airstrip (10 years). I ride the same size like on water.
Go with you LEIs or open cells (if too much money).

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NY

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:30 pm

Ok lets not get confused here . Let me explain in a little more detail. I'm talking about a foil kite vs an LEI when it comes to landboarding on hard sand at the beach . A Foil kite is usually 2 sizes up in power compared to a LEI so flying a 10M open cell foil is equivalent to a 12M LEI in power . I think you guys are confusing what I'm saying. If u want to use an LEI kite to landboard then its 2 sizes smaller you can fly for the same windspeed vs kitesurfing so you can fly a 10M LEI on a day a guy is flying a 12M LEI on water. However if ure going to use a foil u would use an 8m which would be equivalent to 10M LEI. If youre an experienced rider in to freestyle stuff then u can ride as big as u want . but the poster was asking as a beginning landboarder and Its hard to hold dwn extra power on a landboard on sand so not a good idea to go out very powered up. Well ull see for yourself when u get out there

zob wrote:Windrider1, as you mentioned, there are different surfaces to ride on, and how they influence the ride it self, so let the guy judge where he's at.
Judging your reaction, you have the luxury of hard surface to ride on. Most of us don't.
I ride grass, in best case grassy airstrip (10 years). I ride the same size like on water.
Go with you LEIs or open cells (if too much money).

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 5532
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:25 pm
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: God created the naki so the hardcore people would have a place to live.
Favorite Beaches: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh...........
Style: Always searching for flow!
Gear: If you take 3.1415 from opinion. You get onion!
Brand Affiliation: What do yo call an Alligator in a vest? ............... An Investigator.

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby plummet » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:03 pm

windrider1 wrote:I don't agree with this guy at all. ive been landboarding for more than 12 year there is no way we use the samepower as a kitesurfer it just dosent happen unless u intend to break something before your session is over and it probally wont be your board. . you are standing on a board with wheels when u landboard it takes very little to pull to move vs on the water where u are being supported and pulled by the kite 100 percent or u just will sink into the water. sorry don't follow this guys advise. like I said get the 9m if u want to get a flysurfer. you will get the most use out of that size . I love their kites also. if u want to go the cheaper route and easier route get a open cell foil as they will be a little easier to set up and pack down. Brands I trust are flysufer, HQ kites and Ozone kite. HQ kites makes excellent kites at the more reasonable prices out of the three.
plummet wrote:Use 1 kite size down to start with. Then same kite size as water when you are experienced.
12m foil is a good size for land board. You can use it 10 20 knots. Stick to sub 15 to begin with. Foils typically give you more float and softer landings. That's good on land.
Smaller than 12m just use your lei's.
Let me qualify my statements. I've been landboarding for 11 years, I set the world record of 245km distance within 24hrs on a landboard. My personal best for speed is 40mph.I also know a thing or too about landboarding.

When I say use one kitesize down to start with, I mean a 2m gap and the same kite design. So if you were riding a 10m lei on the water ride then use an 8m lei on the land. I can and do use the same size kites one the land as I do on the water. I have done many sessions where I landboard then jump on the water and kitesurf without changing down kite sizes. So my statement of an experienced person using the same size kite is correct.

Regarding my advice to use the 12mfoil. I still believe that is reasonable advice. Bust out the 12m sub 15 knots and learn to landboard when there is not enough wind to kitesurf. When there is kitesurfable wind then go kitesurfing.
This advice is based on the assumption that newguy can already kitesurf. If he cannot then getting a 9m and using it in higher winds is reasonable advice.

I have a 12m chrono V1 which is real powerful per m2. I use that on land up to 18 knots typically. Over 18 i'm on the water. I'm 78kg, 171pd.

Below is a pick of me jumping the 12m chrono wind speed around 16 knots.
chrono jump.jpg

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Posts: 368
Joined: Sat Sep 02, 2006 1:51 am
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: NY

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby windrider1 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:48 pm

ok thnks for clearing things up your advise now sounds more reasonable. and if like u said he will landboard when not kitesurfing which will mean the winds below 12knts then yes a 12m is a good size to start with. but its always better to learn landboarding on a smaller kite on a windier day.


plummet wrote:
windrider1 wrote:I don't agree with this guy at all. ive been landboarding for more than 12 year there is no way we use the samepower as a kitesurfer it just dosent happen unless u intend to break something before your session is over and it probally wont be your board. . you are standing on a board with wheels when u landboard it takes very little to pull to move vs on the water where u are being supported and pulled by the kite 100 percent or u just will sink into the water. sorry don't follow this guys advise. like I said get the 9m if u want to get a flysurfer. you will get the most use out of that size . I love their kites also. if u want to go the cheaper route and easier route get a open cell foil as they will be a little easier to set up and pack down. Brands I trust are flysufer, HQ kites and Ozone kite. HQ kites makes excellent kites at the more reasonable prices out of the three.
plummet wrote:Use 1 kite size down to start with. Then same kite size as water when you are experienced.
12m foil is a good size for land board. You can use it 10 20 knots. Stick to sub 15 to begin with. Foils typically give you more float and softer landings. That's good on land.
Smaller than 12m just use your lei's.
Let me qualify my statements. I've been landboarding for 11 years, I set the world record of 245km distance within 24hrs on a landboard. My personal best for speed is 40mph.I also know a thing or too about landboarding.

When I say use one kitesize down to start with, I mean a 2m gap and the same kite design. So if you were riding a 10m lei on the water ride then use an 8m lei on the land. I can and do use the same size kites one the land as I do on the water. I have done many sessions where I landboard then jump on the water and kitesurf without changing down kite sizes. So my statement of an experienced person using the same size kite is correct.

Regarding my advice to use the 12mfoil. I still believe that is reasonable advice. Bust out the 12m sub 15 knots and learn to landboard when there is not enough wind to kitesurf. When there is kitesurfable wind then go kitesurfing.
This advice is based on the assumption that newguy can already kitesurf. If he cannot then getting a 9m and using it in higher winds is reasonable advice.

I have a 12m chrono V1 which is real powerful per m2. I use that on land up to 18 knots typically. Over 18 i'm on the water. I'm 78kg, 171pd.

Below is a pick of me jumping the 12m chrono wind speed around 16 knots.

chrono jump.jpg

NewGuy
Rare Poster
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:21 pm
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Gun lake state park
Style: Free ride
Gear: 9m liquid force envy
12m liquid force nrg
15m liquid force envy
17m slingshot turbine
136 liquid force drive
Liquid force foil fish
155 litewave Carbon
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I'm new to landboarding

Postby NewGuy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Thank you guys!! That's exactly what I'm wanting to do is landboard on days that there isnt enough to kitesurf or days I can't make it to the beach cuz there just isn't time. I would be riding grass unfortunately I'm still trying to scope out sights that I could ride. I have only found one so far :'(. So my goal is to get out in sub 10knts.


Return to “Snow / Land”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests