toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Local Beach: folly beach
Gear: Flex Ion Two, Naish Torch , Slingshot Octane
Omega board
Brand Affiliation: None

Is snowkite kiting colder than winter kite boarding

Postby toddsphresh » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:26 am

So I hate being cold. If it's below 50 ° I don't kite surf. I really want to try snowkiteing but am nervous about being cold. I've snowboarded all my life so I know how warm and cold it can be. Would you say a windy day In 20.degrees with 20 knots of wind is more or less cold than kite boarding in 20 knots with air temp 50.degrees and water temp of 60 degrees in a 5/3 wetsuit

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Is snowkite kiting colder than winter kite boarding

Postby zerogee_ca » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:30 am

What's the coldest you would ever go snowboarding? Use an online wind chill calculator to find that threshold for kiting.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:49 am

It is much easier to dress warm for a day of Snowkiting compared to kiting on the water. In the spring we often have the choice to ride water or snow. Unless the air temp is above 60 for the water, I pick snow. Like the water, it is your appendages that you have to keep warm on super cold days, but you can use hand and toes warmers on the snow. On the water, you are limited to gloves and booties which are not nearly as warm. Plus it is much easier to suit up in ski/snowboard clothes compared to a thick wetsuit or drysuit. I can ride hours longer on the snow compared to the water, even on the coldest days.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:53 am

Coldest I've been kiting was -20C / -4F. It was tough for you face despite of half face covering hood under helmet. Also when it is cold on my area usually winds are very low.

Low winds => So running foil kite to air and getting hot at doing it. Then skiing glasses starts to freeze from your sweat/moisture so you cannot really use those so you have face exposed to wind. Other parts of body no problem with 3 layer clothes.

My normal snowkiting temperatures from 2C to -10C no problems with coldness. On ski lift I feel more cold on high winds than ever snowkiting.

The intro picture is from -20C session.

https://vimeo.com/42364472

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 pm

You didn't specify whether you run a dry suit or not. I'd say that if your primary spot is Folly (which is beautiful just visited Force kite and sullivans island) then you problably dont need a dry suit in that area.

With that said. being wet and cold and being completely dry and not cold is very very different.
I really dont like drysuits so I live by the 100 rule on water. Air and water temp must equal 100 degrees or no go.

When it comes to snow if well layered I'm usually sweating my ass off the entire time. I tend to not go if its 10 below or less. We used to go even in -30 and frost bite can be serious for exposed skin not much fun. Typical days are 0-25 degrees on snow.

You've snowboarded your whole life. The problem with downhill is the aweful ride up the hill, depending on hispeed lifts or low speed stop and freeze to death small hills, will determine your comfort level on a resort hill. then you warm up for 5 minutes bombing down the hill and then repeat the process over and over freeze thaw. Just thinking about I'm getting a chill. (we have world class skiing here and haven't participated once since kiting took over my life. :thumb: )

With snowkiting. Just getting out of the car is a workout if you ride deep pow. By the time you are ready to ride your sweating and well prepared for the next step. Riding until you cant take it anymore all the while sweating your ass off. you can easily go up the hill faster then down the hill with a kite. :D

The coldest part is getting the car warmed back up and feeling the lesser warm air on your now soaked clothes (maybe pack at least some new upper clothes to stave off the wet cold ride back home.)

I really wouldn't worry about the cold its a non issue for snowkiting. unless you get stranded, car wont start, or dont have a warm place to go back too. A good soak in a hotub or hot spring and or a nice warm shower fixes everything.
The only thing that sucks is you can't foil on snow but terrain can make up for the loss of foiling.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:40 am

Dry suit in South Carolina now that's funny I won't even wear booties or gloves. It was 75 today

Craz Z
Frequent Poster

Postby Craz Z » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:45 am

toddsphresh wrote: Dry suit in South Carolina now that's funny I won't even wear booties or gloves. It was 75 today
I figured as much. :D

We really enjoyed SC and the wonderful southern hospitality :thumb: I'd forget about snowkiting if I lived where you are. Foiling and waves everyday without a reason to even bother with a wetsuit year round sounds like heaven to me. We came back from 80 SC weather to 2 feet of snow ice road trucking to get home from the airport here in Montana.

toddsphresh
Medium Poster
Omega board

Postby toddsphresh » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:40 am

I will put you up and show you around anytime. Last time I was snowboarding was over ten years ago it was -35 in keystone co. I was like f this I'm moving to the beach and learning to kiteboard needless to say have not been back but the I love big air and and am ready to try this thing I think y'all call gliding?

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:56 pm

Kiting on the Grand Mesa is usual very cold starting and ending the rest of the time I tend to over heat. The dry clothes for the ride down is a great suggestion and I would add dry socks and shoes because cars are slow to warm up going down a mountain. Have a great time.

Return to “Snow / Land”