qwertyjjj
Rare Poster
Gear: Na
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

recommendation snow kite

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:14 pm

I kitesurfed once in 2008 but kind of gave up when my instructors sent me out overpowered and I ended up crashing the kite, relaunching immediately, and ended up flying through the air! :)
I wanted to take up snow kiting this year on skis but am wondering what to start with.

I'm 200lbs, intend on kiting on a lake with deep powder early season and crusty/cruddy mid to late season.
Would an 8.0 ozone access be ok as long as I only take it out in 10 knots or less to start with?
I didn't really want to bother with a training kite since it will get used once and then never again plus I have a little experience already even though 10 years back. I have skied and windsurfed extensively.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Re: recommendation snow kite

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:36 pm

Good idea since IMO snowkite is a better way to start rather than kitesurfing (No waterstart and smaller kite needed).
Acces is a good option to start. 8m is ok , not very powered under 10 knots but enough to get riding.

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:41 pm

SHould I just go straight to 12.0 or is that too big for a beginner?
Presumably 6.0 is too small as well.
Secondly, are lake locations a bit gusty or have updrafts due to hills and trees on the sides?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:12 pm

qwertyjjj wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:41 pm
Secondly, are lake locations a bit gusty or have updrafts due to hills and trees on the sides?
Trainer kite would help so much to understand the wind at your lake. Cost is way less than a broken leg. The internet has no idea if your wind is gusty.

A 4m Access or 4m Ozone Uno would be a reasonable kite to develop flying skill and also have some use on big winds.

I still fly my two line trainer from time to time.

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:16 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:12 pm
qwertyjjj wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:41 pm
Trainer kite would help so much to understand the wind at your lake. Cost is way less than a broken leg. The internet has no idea if your wind is gusty.

A 4m Access or 4m Ozone Uno would be a reasonable kite to develop flying skill and also have some use on big winds.

I still fly my two line trainer from time to time.
Most trainer kites are 2 line? The Access is 5 so the training is just to move the kite through the window and launch and land?
Or do you mean you launch a trainer at every new location first to figure things out...

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:07 pm

COuld I just have a 3m trainer and a 12m kite? Or is it best to go for a 8/12 combo in future?

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Maybe people are put off by the word “trainer.” T34 is a trainer but it’s still an airplane.

So yes a trainer kite can be used as a qualitative wind meter at the right height. You can use to practice bar movement for tricks and also building upper body strength. A two line foil is great to have for the inevitable day some friend wants to try and you don’t want to smash the more expensive kite or even more expensive leg. Less hassle to share a trainer kite or just put it in that air to fool around because no harness. Kite skateboarding with a 2 line foil is fun and lower risk. And last time I checked, people still fly kites just for fun.

You could also do all of those things with a 4m ozone access. Upside is it makes a good high wind snow kite. Downside is more expense and hassle with the harness etc so less good to just fly for fun, share, or smash into the ground.

Lots of kite time so you can intuitively fly the kite and understand the wind up high will make your water/snow time more fun. Practicing to drop the bar and use the safety is also a good move that would favor a 4m access or uno.

At the ending of the day, if you get in to it, you are going to buy a lot of kites.

qwertyjjj
Rare Poster

Postby qwertyjjj » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:24 pm

ok, so I'll get a 3m.
Next question is which next size. I can only afford one for now.
Do I get an 8m with the aim of getting a 12 in future.
DO I just get a 12 and then get an 8 in future.
Or do I just get a 10 and cover both bases for now.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jakemoore » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:42 pm

What are people in your area riding with?

To put it in perspective, my largest kite at 200 lbs is a 9 meter Hyperlink. But where I live its windy, and I enjoy underpowered riding on a hydrofoil. I could enjoy riding my 7 in almost any conditions and usually pull out the 9 when its very light. Yesterday 8 gusting 11 knots.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:38 am

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:49 pm
Maybe people are put off by the word “trainer.”
I have found this to be true. So I try to use the term "power kite" instead of "trainer kite". A 2-line 3 m power kite will give you plenty of pull in a good wind. I've used a 3 m to scream around fields and beaches in a kite buggy. On snow, power kites will be lots of fun.

Return to “Snow / Land”