Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why is everyone hating on old kites ?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Why is everyone hating on old kites ?

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:53 am

Flyboy wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:16 pm
NorCalNomad wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:10 am

Because they are dangerous and fly like shit compared to this year's or even a few years ago kites.

/thread
Yup - it's a miracle anyone survives until "this year's" kites arrive. :jump:
"compared to" is the key term.

Old cars are dangerous and drive like shit compared to modern cars.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:28 pm

Cars are extremely complicated machines with a huge number of moving parts. Kites - not so much. I have owned & flown the same brand/model kites from 4 consecutive years - not a noticeable difference in performance & certainly not in "safety". I have also had the experience a couple of times of buying a new model kite & finding it flew worse than the older version - very annoying.

There certainly have been improvements, but more like tweaking in the last 10 years. Most significantly, there are now a greater variety of kite styles available with more specialized characteristics - wave kites, foiling kites, singe strut, no strut etc. - that were not available 7 or 8 years ago. These are better for their intended uses than what older kites offered, but a good all-around kite from 7 or 8 years ago is still good IMO.

slide
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 75kg,now a bit less
Local Beach: Brancaster Norfolk 46 miles- just need a hard beach
Favorite Beaches: mablephorpe , cleephorpes uk-just need a hard beach
Style: landboarding with a petzl work harness
Gear: old blades and old flysurfer's , ckb/dex carbon landboards, modified airdeck and a home made snow board with barrel wheels ,soul's , spd5's. over 30ish old blades all set up to go ,i like a bit of old skool

Postby slide » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:10 pm

its the same with all kites , lei , foil depower , fixed bridle flexifoil blades, in the early days all of these kites were raw and in some cases scary , and tru the development they became "more useable", and softer in the power delivery , and bigger in the wind ranges
the main 2 kites I have flown are flexifoil blades , and flysurfer speeds, and with both types of kites the same applys , the early speeds are raw and powerful -the early speed 1's were the first great flysurfer's , and they became softer/more useable tru the mk's, and flexifoil blades are the same , mk 1's are very raw and powerful , with the blade 2 and 3's being the rawest and most powerful ,and are my favourites, absolutely fantastic to ride with and jump , and then the future blades became more useable , still great to jump with but easier to fly and handle ,and certainly better/simpler to learn on

but I for one love my old kites

wiktorek
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby wiktorek » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:23 pm

grigorib wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 pm

- old kites don't relaunch well
- old kites don't resell well
- old kites are heavy and are not good for LW
- bar pressure on old kites might be a killer
- old kites didn'thave single inflation point
Have you tried ozone edge II (2008?)?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:11 pm

wiktorek wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:23 pm
grigorib wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:16 pm

- old kites don't relaunch well
- old kites don't resell well
- old kites are heavy and are not good for LW
- bar pressure on old kites might be a killer
- old kites didn'thave single inflation point
Have you tried ozone edge II (2008?)?
No, didn’t have a chance to fly that one. I flew later edge models and they’re awesome for upwind and boosting but suck for looping and drift. Nice higher aspect inflatable wing.
Was 2008 edge II a good model?

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Old kites are fine, I still actively fly 2004 and newer, hard to find good 4 line c-kites these days. Right around 2005 is where c-kites were refined. There were a lot of bad pre-2003 kites, but there were some gems too.
I would say flying 2005 or newer kites with new bars is fine (that is what I do). Old bars were dangerous as the quick releases often did not work under load (or would release when unwanted).
2006 was the "depower" sle movement. Depower is overated. Most of the modern accidents are riders rigging kites that are too big for the conditions. C-kites don't have depower, you just rig the right size for the conditions. For those that complain about twitchy 2004 and newer kites, they probably aren't using the ideal bar configuration for that kite (i.e. undersheeted, depowerloop line too long, bar too long, flying lines too long). C-kites and forward flying sles, love flying fixed bars with a rooster ring, rock solid with no twitch.
There are a lot of bad sles and bad c-kites out there, but that is up to opinion. For example kites mentioned in this thread, I think the North Rhino (c-kite) and Best Yarga (EH designed c-kite) are great, but hated the Best Waroo.
Find classic videos of Lou Wainman and TopHat and try to convince yourself that old kites suck. Kitesurfing without chickenloops makes for the best style imo.
When in doubt, rig down in size. Understand your safety system, when in doubt, go to safety.

Seavel Knievel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 87kg
Local Beach: Thailand,Myanmar (11-20 knots)
Favorite Beaches: Only explored the ones in S.E. Asia
Style: Yet Unknown, but prob freeride.
Gear: Airush DNA 14m, Liquid Force Envy 12m, Slingshot Rally 14m, Cabrinha Switchblade 10m, Best Waroo 13m.
Cabrinha Chopstick 149, Best Ouija 134, Liquid Force Edge 138
Been thanked: 0

Postby Seavel Knievel » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:18 pm

ap888 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:27 am
i agree my best waroo was still the best kite i have ever flown wish i kept it windrange was massive and the feel of the kite is undisputed champ still...
Hi!

Sorry, I know this is a really old post, but I have just bought a (very much) pre-loved 2009 Best Waroo (13m). I'm a total noob. It cost me $150 including bar. Can a beginner (with the opportunity of spending a whole month on the beach) use it? or is it for more experienced kiters? BTW, I will be taking lessons cos will be staying right next to a kitesurfing school for the whole month.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 pm

Seavel Knievel wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:18 pm
ap888 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:27 am
i agree my best waroo was still the best kite i have ever flown wish i kept it windrange was massive and the feel of the kite is undisputed champ still...
Hi!

Sorry, I know this is a really old post, but I have just bought a (very much) pre-loved 2009 Best Waroo (13m). I'm a total noob. It cost me $150 including bar. Can a beginner (with the opportunity of spending a whole month on the beach) use it? or is it for more experienced kiters? BTW, I will be taking lessons cos will be staying right next to a kitesurfing school for the whole month.
The 2009 Waroo was a good kite - I actually owned a 2009 13m Waroo for a while. Yes, a beginner could use it - it's an "all-around" kite. . It's going to be slow & powerful, suitable for use in 12 - 15 knots for the average weight beginner. However, 13m is a pretty large kite for learning the basics with. Usually people use a smaller kite - like 9m - to learn set-up, control on the beach & body dragging in the water etc . before venturing onto a board. If the winds are in the right range it would be not unreasonable for you to learn on the 13m Waroo. Perhaps you should do a couple of sessions with the kite school on a smaller kite to learn the basics.

One other thing ... the Waroo may be fine, but I would pay some attention to the BAR. The quick releases on older bars may not function well at all.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:51 am

jumptheshark wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm
Those early years have some decent kites, but there are plenty of dogs that really, are just not worth flying compared to almost anything current.
YEP !
I got a 2008, 13m , Ozone Edge , that was never left in the sun ; it will
walk by any of the newer Edges of similar size, in 20+ kt wind, because the
LE is way smaller diameter. I wouldn't sell it for a Grand !

Bille

Carlos_C
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southend, Lancing, Hunstanton, sea Palling
Gear: Fuels, Speed 4, Sonic 2

Postby Carlos_C » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:52 am

I have a quiver of 2006 Flysurfer psycho 3's and they are fine - not as much finesse as the modern Flysurfers but you can have a good time on them

Return to “Snow / Land”