All times are UTC + 1 hour

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:40 am 
Very Frequent Poster

My point is that I don't believe that the winds are typically 8 - 11. In the winter,especially, fronts go through all the time & the wind is going to be anything from 5 to 35 mph.

If I were getting just one kite, I would go for a kite that works in 10 to 20 & then get a bigger kite for lighter conditions.

I have been using a B3, a 4.4 & a 5.8 & have found that the 5.8 works from about 7 or 8 mph on hard snow or ice (I weigh about 170lbs.). Deep snow will require at least another size up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:08 pm 
Very Frequent Poster

Yeah, winds over land get kinda sketchy. That's why I don't like flying bridled foils, personally. But, go with the bigger size, since he may be able to use it for mountainboarding and snowboarding. Basically, you can always use a bigger kite more. Typically winds are light in-land. The bigger the better. I used my 15m ARC the other day on land mountainboarding and have used it the last 3 times in a row now. For those conditions, 6-11mph, I would personally get a 10-11m kite (that's me and I weight 85kg - 185lb).

But for a beginner, starting smaller is better.

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:38 pm 
Hello Redhead71. I´m a big boy and I use a 7 m^2, Aeros Virus (clone of the Advance Rhea). As noted in other replies the wind span is quite limited in most kites. You should realy try buying a kite that have a De-power system. This increases the useful windrange significantely. In comparison my 7 m^2 has less windrange than the new 10 m^2 with De-power!!!

Someone suggested the ozone frezny and I agree. Your guy will probably bee able to use a 7,3 m^2 frezny in almost the same conditions as the 4,5 m^2 little devil, especially when hi gets past the rookie stage (which is not very long from personal experience).

Other kites are the "advance Rhea de-power"
"flysurfer maniac, or warrior" or "Vector Boom". The flysurfer warrior and maniac has gotten a lot of nice reveiws both as surf- and snow kites.

Kind regards from Sweden.

Sorry for some misspelling.

[ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2