Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:36 pm

click on the link and see it under "News" and
"Tubesnowkite Sonic von Cabrinha" a report of it and some pics.

http://www.kitesurfing-kiel.de

(german only)

Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Guest » Tue Nov 19, 2002 7:19 am

Have you any idea
about the pricing of this snowkite (in Europe) - a complete packet/ a kite only ?

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:29 pm

I wouldn't get an inflato for the snow! Wait until you have to pinch the valves when they are frozen with no gloves on, or you need to relaunch, but the LE keeps sliding on the snow and won't flop over!

V
http://www.chicagokitesurfing.com

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:28 pm

Well, if these are all the objections you have to LEIs on snow, chicagokitesurfer, I think you should take a look at Cabrinha Sonic when it arrives...

I saw it in Fuerte Ventura this autumn, and the two things you mention, valves and relaunch, plus a number of other winter-issues, has been solved. Of course, we didn't have a chance to see it on snow, but it looked promising!

Urban
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Urban » Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:13 pm

Well, when you´re out on the mountain and the wind dies, how easy is it to pack the LEI in your backpack along with the thermos and down vest and so on. A foil takes as muck room as a regular sleepingbag so you can take the kite with you on those back country weekend trips.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Urban on 2002-11-21 19:14 ]</font>

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:41 am

well done anonymous, saw it in fuerte, and what does its beach ability have to do with snow.

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:26 pm

didn't Flexifoil try this idea and everybody thought it sucked!
set-up time/effort makes and breaks winter kiting.

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Mon Dec 02, 2002 9:57 pm

There's more to foil vs inflato than those few issues.

-Foils can be backed down to the ground and hold it there to rest
-With an inflato, self landing is a pain and much needed.
-Foils are lighter to carry through deep snow
-Foils are quicker and easier to setup
-Foils resist damage from smacks into ice much better
-Foils have no pump or anything so there's less equipment to carry, or freeze and break
-foils relaunch on land more easily
-foils perform better in light winds so you can get going in lighter wind and ride, unlike an inflato
-foils repair with a piece of tape. Break a bladder an you have to go home.
-I can go on

Just the fact that you have to pump up and setup an inflato is a pain that if you went foil, you'd never look back. I ride Slingshot and foils, and perfer foils for the land.

V

Dominik
Rare Poster

Postby Dominik » Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:40 pm

Hi Chicagosurfer,
don't you prefer the characteristics of the inflatables over the foils? I think the majority does since tubekites dominate on the water. Cabrinha Kites finally made an inflatable usable on the snow. I don't have to choose between two different kitesystems anymore and I would not want to miss the advantages in steering, depower and lift. For these reasons I don't mind a set up that takes a little longer and maybe a bigger backbag. The ride counts more then the setup and packing, and easy riding and great jumping is what I want to do!
And this kite is quite easy to self launch and land, not a big problem due to the supplied snowstake and the two safetysystems...
Anyways, check out the kite when you get a chance, and tell me again what you think.
cheers,
Dominik

chicagokitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby chicagokitesurfer » Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:45 pm

Hi Dominik! I try to ride as many kites as possible and if I can get a hold of one of these Cabrinhas, I will.

I like the characteristics of the foils for land riding. In terms of pure performance, I get great performance out of my Peter Lynn ARC kites, and have jumped as high, or higher on my 1510, as my friend on his 18m X2 (he's also lighter than me) in the water. For land, which is also more gusty, the foils are more stable in the air, as well.

I also think the depower of foils is much better than inflatos. Inflatos require you to walk on the beach on your tippy-toes to get power on the water. The foils offer you more depower. I can fly my kites off the front lines only and they won't hindenburg or stall.

And in terms of safety, when I deploy my leash on the ARC, the kite flops out flat like a flag, and generates no power whatsoever. The inflatos have a permanent arc shape to them which causes them to always pull you. In this respect the foils are safer.

And they cost about 60% of an equal-sized inflatable.

I did just buy a quiver of new 2003 Slingshots, so I will try those in the snow, but I doubt the performance will make up for troubles with land/launch and safety.

V

Return to “Snow / Land”