Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

1st timer here, need some help

forum for snow- and landkiters

Rare Poster

Postby hockeyspt87 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 1:16 am

Hey, I have never kiteboarded before but I saw some guys doing it the other day and i am hooked just from watching them. I have a few years of snowboarding experience. I really want to get into this but I have no idea as to what gear i need. I have a board w/ bindings and boots. What else do I need? Where can I get them online? I don't want to spend a lot of money b/c i am broke lol. Somewhere below like $200 would be PERFECT or $300 at most. It would suck if I spent more than that and found out I hate it lol. I live in Buffalo, NY USA. I am 5'11 and 180 lbs. Jsut in case you need to know. Thanks a lot and please email me or respond on the forum (

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Tue Dec 10, 2002 3:05 am

Did you see people kiting on water or on snow?

You first need to learn to fly a kite. Until the first time you try a big traction kite you can not understand the power one of these things develops & the way it can truly kick your butt if you don't know what you're doing. You should start with a small kite (around 3 - 4 meters flat) 'til you get the hang of kite flying. This is a kite that you will still be able to use later in strong wind (20 to 30 mph) for kiting on the snow.

I would then suggest you get another kite about 2 meters larger than your first one. This should get you going in 10 to 20 mph (it will depend partly on your weight & the snow conditions).

Unfortunately, your price point isn't too realistic, although you could probably pick up a smaller used ram air kite for $200 to $300. Ultimately you will need 3 kites to cover the whole wind range. Look at for used kites. I think there is a kite dealer near you in Wilson, NY - you can probably find his Email through the site. Ask his advice about learning, equipment, & local places to kite board. Incidentally, learning on snow is a lot easier than on water & will get you stocked on trying on the water in the summer.

Good luck!

Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation:

Postby sq225917 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:30 pm

they aren't the best kite at anyhting inparticular, but they are still, imho, the best all round kite for a little bit of everything.

get a second hand 4.9 m flexifoil blade.
you'll never regret it, simple to use, safe, small pack size and easy to tether.

first kite i ever bought, learnt to fly on one and it stood me well for water kites, and is still an ideal snow kite in strong winds, 15mph+

Return to “Snow / Land”