Best HIGHWIND-KITE for use on ICE

Forum for snow- and landkiters
MBENGEL
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MBENGEL » Thu Jan 02, 2003 3:03 am

I've got a 9.5m psycho for highwind's on the water. I thought I could use it with ice skates in the winter also but it's just to scary. Today the wind was blowing 15 to 25 knots and gusting over 30. I made two tacks out across the lake on my ice skates. 1st one went about 45 degress upwind across the lake. Took a break there after getting lofted 10ft when a big gust hit. I decided to head back and must of got going 50mph, really fun but scary. I stopped by sitting on the ice and skidded about 200 ft. That was enough fun so I got out my 3.3m HQ Symphony trainer kite.

The 3.3m HQ symphony is alright for kiteing on the ice but it can't keep up with me unless I constantly move the bar left and right. I will surge forward to the edge of the wind only if I keep turning it back and forth. To much drag when the wind is blowing over 25 knots and i'm moving about 20 mph. I could defanately handle more power than the 3.3 hq symphony but a 3m flexifoil blade 2 might have way more power. I could handle getting a little air but not as much as I was getting with my 9.5m psycho.

Anyone have any advice on a good highwind kite that's fast enough to keep up. I was thinking about a BLADE 2 or maybe the OZONE.

Ride On!

Eric S
Medium Poster

Postby Eric S » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:02 am

Post Deleted. Material was intended for non-commercial use. -Eric S
Last edited by Eric S on Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MBENGEL
Rare Poster

Postby MBENGEL » Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:26 am

Have you ever gotten any jumps with your BladeII 3.3m? My symphony 3.3m has never been able to jump. It's really just a trainer kite but I beleive that the BLadeII 3.3m is a whole_nother beast.
I've taken my 3.3m symphony out in 40 mph gusting winds. That thing just shrink's in like an accordian and slips straight downwind. I've been told that it has to do with the porting inside the kite. With the power I've gotten from the symphony I would say I could handle a 4.9m bladeII for any wind but it's probably way more powerful than my HQ.
Have you seen the picture's of the first guy to drop in on a monster set of wave's in Hawaii? Story goes that no-one could get up to enough speed having offshore winds, but he did using a BladeII 3.3m kite. I've got the picture around somewhere if you haven't seen it.
Snowboarding in a 20mph wind with the 9.5m psycho is perfect. You don't have to sine the kite. Just put it up high @ about 10 - 11 oclock. I've found that I get my speed up and play with the kite putting it right overhead at 12 oclock, then just sail staight upwind. That day I went out on the ice forcast was for 15 to 25mph wind. I didn't factor in the gust and it was really gusty. I got around this point and it sounded like thunder rolling through the trees. Have you ever been lofted with your 3.3m blade?

Ride on!

Return to “Snow / Land”