Otg
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kite skiis..?

Postby Otg » Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:21 pm

Hello..

I know that there are snowboards out there, especially made for snowkiting,, but are there any skiis? I would be very interested in buying a pair since Iam finding this snowkiting thing very very fun.. I bought a pair of new skiis last year, they work fine but they are quiet heavy, anyone have any tips?

/ Otg

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Mon Feb 17, 2003 7:26 pm

Wide twin tips for deeper snow. Narrower twin tips for ice or very little snow if you have the choice. This way you can ride switch and twin tips don't have a really severe side cut. K2 has a lot of Enemy twins and Ak enemies on the market for sale. Check Ebay. They also have a new Seth Pistol ski that would be killer in deeper snow, but it's brand new and hard to get. Salomon also makes also makes a really light twin with a wider wiast. Looks like a tongue depressor. :wink: :wink:

busyboy
Medium Poster

Postby busyboy » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:05 pm

I don't know of skis especialy 4 kiteing... I am going to use carvers apearantly they work bes.t.

Marley
Medium Poster

Postby Marley » Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:29 pm

I use LINE 191's twin-tip. They worked for me. backwards is a nice option. As well I hung out with an older gentleman in Whistler that has been going for the land speed records for years and a trick he had was to skill saw or router out a thin line under your foot and in that hole place a hockey skate blade. Have it stick out the bottom about a half inch. this gives you four edges when heeled over and as well a wicked pivotal point. by the way a straight edge is way better. This guy was melting edges off the skiis from heat friction. PS secrets are for losers.

skis

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 19, 2003 1:14 am

Buy older used strait edge skis they will give the best edge. I,m 5'11" 180 pounds, ski length 180cm I find the best for alround use. I have used 200cm skis they are fast but are hard for turning and jumping ext.

Pockets

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:44 pm

Salomon Pocket Rocket is my choise. Good riding for all "terrain" ;)

Hapa

Re: kite skis

Postby Guest » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:29 pm

Go for SCOTT Aztec ot Santiago, this skis rules! Happy user
scott-sports.com :wink:

tazz
Rare Poster

ski edge

Postby tazz » Wed Feb 19, 2003 11:59 pm

Do you guys use strait edge or parabolic skis? And why?

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Feb 20, 2003 12:21 am

K2 twin tips in a 173cm. I've tried many other skis and these are my favorites. Rips in all conditions but rock hard ice. Can ride switch or regular. Short enough to get good air and long enough to get good grip. Some people prefer straighter skis, but they are not as versatile IMHO. :D

Marley
Medium Poster

Postby Marley » Thu Feb 20, 2003 6:35 pm

On ice a straight edge is more efficient. speed a straight edge is more efficient. snow surface a fatter ski is better. hard surface a skinny ski is better.

In all, for ice snow riding i think a straight ski with twin tip that is not a wet noodle and mid-range width is best for all-around. There is no company that i know making a straight twin but less parabolic the better. parabolic on a straight line tends to shimmy or rattle and straight lines are nice on ice for resistance but when it's time to drive away you want some parabolic shape.

Long and short there are always pros and cons but it is always personal to style and riding surface.

My perfect ski would be fairly stiff. almost straight. twin tip. with alittle cheater under the foot( hockey skate blade). this way the stability of skiis with the cut of a blade when needed. ice blade deep snow you lift and ride ski and can edge. Best of both worlds but your cutting up good skiis to build. Buy old shitty downhill straight skiis skill saw hole under foot and place the blade of skate under and for 0-50 bucks you'll have killer ride untill a company makes a production ride.

Return to “Snow / Land”