Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foil or inflatables ?

Forum for snow- and landkiters
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foil or inflatables ?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2003 2:17 am

Should a kiter who kites on water in the summer and on snow in the winter get a foil or an inflatable and why ?

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:30 am

get a framed kite
because
:bye:

RC-Kiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RC-Kiter » Mon Mar 17, 2003 11:13 pm

Foils work 100% better on land then LEI. On water both work equally well. Get yourself a quality kitesurf foil and you will have loads of fun!

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2003 7:12 pm

the last few snow kite competitions have been won with inflatables. put that in your pipe and smoke it.

windplay
Rare Poster

Postby windplay » Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:09 pm

I've been having trouble with my foil collapsing. A buddy of mine does not seem to have that problem with his LEI. Relaunching a foil after it has collapsed and crumpled into a ball on the snow/ice is sometimes a pain. Mine seems to like to flip around - leading edge facing downwind.

Foils are great for quick setup and take down. Very compact as well. At -20C I'm not sure I'd want to crash an inflatable.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:45 am

Sounds like maybe you need to tune your set-up. What kind of foil are you flying?
windplay wrote:I've been having trouble with my foil collapsing. A buddy of mine does not seem to have that problem with his LEI. Relaunching a foil after it has collapsed and crumpled into a ball on the snow/ice is sometimes a pain. Mine seems to like to flip around - leading edge facing downwind.

Foils are great for quick setup and take down. Very compact as well. At -20C I'm not sure I'd want to crash an inflatable.

vesku
Medium Poster

Postby vesku » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:32 pm

windplay wrote: At -20C I'm not sure I'd want to crash an inflatable.
Don't worry. I haven't ever trashed any inflatables (or foils) in cold or extreme cold (-20C - -30C) conditions. But of course I try to avoid crashing...

Happy riding!

VESKU

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:33 am

Anonymous wrote:the last few snow kite competitions have been won with inflatables. put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Considering there are approx 6 times as many brands of inflato kite makers, all trying to outdo each other, it make sense too!
There have been many snow kite comps, and get togethers, where inflato kites did not feature at all, but the foil makers do not have the marketing bucks of the inflato manufacturers, so we do not hear about the foils wins as much, IMO.
You only have to look at the tecnobabble names for simple parts and features on inflato makers kites and boards, before you will realise we are at a point in the evolution of kiting, where BS flows freely, and the truth is hard to find.
Amusing times we live in!!
:bye:

Return to “Snow / Land”