Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Foils, Wings, Wheels choices for TERRA

Postby Hangwind » Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:12 pm

Ayeeesh!

So many choices!

I am a foilist and I like foil kites. I am also a landlocked surfer. I live in Arizona and often make trips to the Sea of Cortez for kiteboarding the surf there. In my younger years, I enjoyed XC soaring my hang glider and a little bit of everything else in the mountains, land and sea. I get board easy and am obsessed with wind driven disciplines.

In between my kitesurfs, the quiver of foils stretches out my arms and lines at the local grassy knoll/bowl. I generally enjoy flying my T-Arc or my 840 or even the 1120 every once and a while on foot. But alas, I'm getting bored of resisting and am looking forward to listing upwind. I'm looking around and getting ready to make my first choice on what land discipline I want to exersize.

I also fool around on the web making a nice little forum on foils: http://www.foilpilot.com

In my search for information, I have come accross the Kitewing and the Dirtsurfer and many other forms of kiting inland. Buggys look cool, I dig them and my kids like the looks but I'm leaning toward the Dirtsurfer for the choice and the Kitewing for the weapon.

Tell all in the Poll what your choice(s) are and I invite you to take a look at http://www.foilpilot.com for a quick surf into this other world.

adam trahan
http://www.foilpilot.com

Finktankfunk
Rare Poster

Postby Finktankfunk » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:36 pm

make sure your health insurance will cover you. The pictured combo looks like an accident waiting to happen. I would go with the buggy and stick with the foils your used too. Your sessions will be measured in hours instead of minutes with a buggy.

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:36 pm

have a buddy that uses the the kitewing and he says its just awesome with the dirtsurfer, lots a speed and the dirtsurfer is super stable to from what i understand, lookin into it myself as soon as funds become available

Hangwind
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hangwind » Fri Mar 07, 2003 9:39 pm

Everyone has a sense of security. For some, crossing the street is DANGEROUS, for others, hooking a thermal deep in a canyon far from a place to land is deriguer.

It is important for me to understand my own limitations, not for me to suggest limitations for anyone else. To me, I want to live my own life and have no effect on your choice of freedom.

From what I can see, this combination looks like a good choice. This I know for myself, perhaps not for me to decide for you. The buggy and foil are a cool breed no doubt and I will go there too!

I am not a fatalist or a "risk taker." I'm 42 and I have two young boys who I want to raise to adults. I no longer fly, I'm looking for "safe fun" and in a nut shell, this looks like good safe fun.

I like the French extremists attitude, but I will reserve myself to a bit larger distance from danger.

[quote]“Sure there is a chance I might be killed. But in exchange, I have such a powerful sense of being alive.â€

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:49 am

Ive had a dirtsurfer for a couple years. Kite and down hills a blast. Straight line speed and stability is its best feature compared to 4 wheelers. Turning circle is bigger and you ride toeside or flip it around. I can Jibe and ride toeside on good smooth beach, tough on rougher grass fields. Prefer to flip it around and not ride toeside. Can edge and hold more power better.
Guy that frequents tx coast rides dirtsurfer and wind wings or something like that. Better up wind than a kite. Believe hes a dealer for both wind wing and dirtsurfer. Could probably track him down on the American kite buggy or buggier. I believe a MSN group. sorry dont have the link. Dave Petty if memory serves. MARK

chola
Rare Poster

Postby chola » Wed Mar 19, 2003 9:19 pm

Hey Hangwind,

Have you ever been to San Carlos? I was just there last year about this time and had some amazing sessions.

Return to “Snow / Land”