forum for kitesurfers

GMan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Snap Shackle...

Postby GMan » Tue May 13, 2003 12:34 am

Hola,
I am about to buy a Wichard snap shackle and wanted to see if someone knew the model number for the best system. There are several models and I am not sure which one. The 2473 and the 2673 both look like the ones I have seen. http://www.wichard.com Thanks for the help. :thumb:

mamakawama
Rare Poster

Postby mamakawama » Tue May 13, 2003 12:45 am

Dude, I'm going to the states on Wednesday if you need something. Send me a PM.

GMan
Medium Poster

One more thing...

Postby GMan » Tue May 13, 2003 12:54 am

Forgot to ask about spectra lines. Does anyone know the diameter of the lines that go throught a Naish bar? My chicken loop broke and need to replace it.

Gracias

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby theflyingtinman » Tue May 13, 2003 1:21 am

I am about to buy a Wichard snap shackle and wanted to see if someone knew the model number for the best system. There are several models and I am not sure which one. The 2473 and the 2673 both look like the ones I have seen. http://www.wichard.com' Thanks for the help.
The 2473 is a 'side pivot' shackle, not suitable for any application where it may have to be released under high loading. (eg as a primary safety release for kitesurfing)
The 2673 is a center pivot and providing the loop it attaches to is suitable(large thickness stainless steel ring or rope NOT sheathed in plastic tube)
and the release-pull line is not modified out of the specification for the shackle, it should release easily under load.

Steve T.

GMan
Medium Poster

Postby GMan » Tue May 13, 2003 3:16 am

Hola Steve,
Thank you for the info. I will get the 2673 and make sure I use a tubeless rope and ring.

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Wed May 14, 2003 10:11 pm

I think the 2 best shackles are the Wichard 2673/2674, and Tylaska T-8:

http://www.tylaska.com

http://www.kirkwoodaccommodations.com/p ... ylaska.jpg

I've used both. The 2673 releases much more easily, but it's pre-released on me a few occasions, which almost killed me on 1 occasion. Tylaska works great (note that Wichard's now producing its own knockoff). Whatever you use to release T-8 needs to press solidly on the center of the T8's trigger, hence the ugly piece of welding in the picture above

Definitely don't buy one of those sliding pin release designs, they may or may not work and your life may or may not flash before your eyes.

GMan
Medium Poster

Postby GMan » Thu May 15, 2003 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info on the shackles. I will probably get the Wichard shackle. What happened when it pre-released? :o Just to know what to expect....
Thanks

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Thu May 15, 2003 5:41 pm

When mine pre-released I had to drop the bar (releasing to the leash), just as if I'd done it intentionally.

There are several methods of reducing or eliminating pre-release of a 2673, depending on your setup. I think one of the simplest is by attaching the release to bottom end of the leash, so the leash's bungee tension pulls up, making it virtually impossible for the release to be accidentally pulled down & therefore released.

I believe somebody reported that their Tylaska jammed with sand hidden inside the enclosed mechanism*. I know somebody reported the Wichard TRIGGER release "knockoff" catches, even on a ring, so it's unsuitable.

*which isn't a problem with the 2673

Mel

GMan
Medium Poster

Postby GMan » Fri May 16, 2003 6:59 pm

Gracias Mel,

I will try that setup when I get my 2673. :thumb:
Fly high!!

bobbybill
Medium Poster

Postby bobbybill » Sun May 18, 2003 8:19 pm

2673 pre-releases:

I've had at least 4 pre-releases last year. 1st 2x, my 12M Rhino floated lazily down the beach in one spot & lazily across the water in another spot. No kite leash, but no harm done. Then that same Rhino got slammed into the ground on another pre-release (this time, i got kite leash). Then, on 4th pre-release i got dragged violently by kite leash thru double overhead closeouts. Don't clamp leash's brass shackles onto your spreader, it's really hard to undo w/cold hands when you're being submarined thru whitewater/out of oxygen. I was pretty sure I was going to be paralyzed or worse, but lived to kite again & now use 2673 for kite leash, and Tylaska to take kite's power thru my harness.

Another local put a bolt /nut on 2673 as a triggering lever, and told me it would pre-release sometimes when he crashed his jumps.

So I'm not gonna tell you not to buy it, but I will tell you I've been lucky so far. here's the best solution:

http://advancedkite.com/index.htm

Return to “Kitesurfing”