Forum for kitesurfers
mantismaster
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

splicing broken lines

Postby mantismaster » Mon May 19, 2003 3:39 am

Hi, I just broke one of my lines and cannot get new ones for at least 3-4 days. Any chance of splicing lines temporarily? The wind is starting to blow and I don't want to be with out a kite. Thanx

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 19, 2003 9:05 am

You can just tie the lines together.

If you use a sock, it'll not be weakened.

If you dont have a "typical kite sock", you can make one of a piece of rope, where you remove the inner core !

We did that a lot on the early Naish kites, where you had to mount your safety leash to the line directly.
And when we did not have a sock, we just made one of a piece of rope.
Perfect !

Another solution is to tie the lines together with a special knot, like used for fishing (they have the same problem, that the lines cut themselves if just knotted with a standard overhand-overhand knot or similar).

You can search the web, and find lots of knots for this.

And finally - if you are going totally bananas over not getting out, and impatient - you could just tie a normal knot, and move the line so it is your back line (not as critical if it breaks).
And have your safety on your front line, or okay back line.

In most cases single knotted lines will last, especially if used for back lines.
Although strength is reduced up to 50%, it will also in some cases be reduced much less, and there is a huge safety margin.

But whatever you do - you have to use a lot of time for shortening up the three remaining lines !
So it would be much better to buy a new set of lines instead.
If you occasionally damage your lines, you could just use one of the new lines as replacement - and then you have "spare" lines for many many years to come.
Will not cost much when seen this way...

rolltide
Frequent Poster

Postby rolltide » Mon May 19, 2003 9:31 am

give the double uni knot a try. I rigged a 40M line with it, adjusted the rest to the same length and have been flyin without a problem since FEB.
The spliced line is on a 2 line foil and has yet to break.. Heres a link to a site with details for the double uni knot... hope this helps
http://www.stren.com/stren/knot8.htm

warren
Medium Poster

Splice

Postby warren » Mon May 19, 2003 9:41 am

In the past ive tied the lines with a bowline or a reef knot
then ive added extra Leader line at the bar to make up
for the shortened line .
hope this helps. :

mantismaster
Medium Poster

Postby mantismaster » Mon May 19, 2003 6:42 pm

Thanx Guys, I am going to try and splice it and move the broken line to the farthest knot out on the leader. If I move the others to the back knots then hopefully this will work till my new lines get here. Thanx again. Also, what are the best replacement lines to get? I have 2002 fuels. Peace!

Return to “Kitesurfing”