Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

kite jerks-your experiences?

forum for kitesurfers

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

kite jerks-your experiences?

Postby tweekster » Sun May 18, 2003 10:42 am

at my local spot there is this one guy that has taken it upon himself to police the beach to the point where he actually chases away anyone he deems "inexperienced." on more than one occasion, when i was starting out, he came up to me and gave me the same speech about how dangerous a spot i had chosen and that he was a "trained professional" (he's not a pro) and that i shouldn't go out because i could die. i remember several times being intimidated to the point where i wouldn't even go out. it severely hampered my progression.

finally after the 5th or 6th time of having him hassle me (i think he just wants the spot all to himself) i made up my mind that i was just going to have to confront him and ignore his attempts to "keep me down." i went down to the beach and rigged up. as usually he approached me and gave me the speech. i not so politely told him to stay the f away from me and to leave me the f alone...he has since done so. BTW in all the times that i have kited at this spot, or anywhere, i have never put myself or anyone else in danger. i am almost over cautious-if there is such a thing in kiting.

anyway, today i was down at the beach with my kids and the conditions were gustier than usual. no one was out nor was there anyone on the beach near the launch area. i saw an older guy start to unroll a kite and thought to myself that if he went out and it looked good i'd give it a go. almost immediately the resident "trained pro" came out of nowhere and i could see the body language and knew the conversation without even hearing it. a minute later i saw the older bloke rolling his kite back up and leaving the park...another newbie shot down in flames. he never even had a chance to inflate his kite.

what's my point? i don't know, i just had to get that off my chest. i felt so bad for the old guy because i remember how intimidated that guy made me feel. i realize that safety is a big issue and i wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt, but this sport is still so young that i can't imagine anyone forgeting how intimidating the whole learning experience was. the next time you see someone starting out give them the benefit of the doubt. be positive and encouraging. explain the dangers and safety issues, yes, but too much negativity is bad for the soul. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 18, 2003 11:03 am

how can he tell anyone what to do if he doesn't know their level?

You should go to the guys with some more people and have a discussion about it to find a solution.

It is good to have some people at a spot to take care and give advise, but there is of course a limit.

Try to find a solution that works out the best for everyone.

Good luck
Toby

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Sun May 18, 2003 11:19 am

the guy has a reputation amongst the local riders for doing this...he's pretty much done it to everyone who kites there at one time or another. even the windsurfers know who he is. once you ignore him and he realizes that you can actually kite he usually leaves you alone. in fact most of the guys just write him off as a kook. i just find it so discouraging as i watch him do it to people. it makes me angry. in fact, ask PH, who posts on this forum. i am sure he knows who i am talking about.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon May 19, 2003 4:38 am

Hi tweekster,
this guy has a strange approach, but he might be doing a load of good.
Someone who does not know how to kite might be impressed by his speech and pack up. This will either make him go and take lessons as he should, or sell his gear if he is very impressionable (in this case he should not even try to kite IMO).
Someone who can kite will either laugh this guy off as a nutter, or be rude to him.
Your beach stays clear of raw beginners and the accidents rates will stay very low there, this is very good for keeping free access and avoiding bans.
Regards
Nico

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: BEST TS, Best Nemesis HP, Kahoona and Roca.
Brand Affiliation: used to be BestKiteboarding.com

Postby sq225917 » Mon May 19, 2003 11:40 am

yeh it might seem a little extreme, but a bit of bluff might not be a bad thing in the long run.

try to keep things a little simpler at our place, no leash no launch.

White trash
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby White trash » Mon May 19, 2003 5:58 pm

Is that a new rule no leash no launch? Maybe someone should tell pro team haircut about it and point out the nearest barber shop aswell.

Hardcave1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Out front of my house at Brighton, Brisbane
Favorite Beaches: At home
Style: Old school
Gear: 2001 underground twin tip, 2013 North Rebel
Brand Affiliation: North

Postby Hardcave1 » Tue May 20, 2003 10:28 am

Tweekster
The guys could be doing a job that nobody wants to do. He is making sure that if your unsure about your ability then don't go out. Look at your self how he made you aware of doing the right thing. Thank this guy he may just keep you beach safe from all the hot shot beginners.
My beach is getting f#$ked by beginners who after a few sessions start teaching their friends, don't now how to give way and wont even help launch or land your kite even thou you helped them out.
Alex

MissionMan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MissionMan » Tue May 20, 2003 12:02 pm

I disagree 100%. There is a big difference between seeing a beginner and telling him to go get lessons and chasing anyone off your beach.

Often beginners who have been for lessons are unsure about their own ability, and rely on kitesurfers out there for help when they make mistakes. Chasing them away doesn't help. It just makes them less likely to ask for help when they need it. Making yourself approachable is the ideal solution. You want people to feel they can come up and ask you for a question rather than doing something stupid because they are too scared to ask.

Yes, I agree that beginners who don't opt for lessons are dangerous, but also remember that every single one of us were beginners at one stage. The more we help them, the quicker they progress and the less of a danger they are to us. I had help when I started from people i didn't know which saved me a couple of injuries, and I'll help out where I can as well.

tweekster
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tweekster » Wed May 21, 2003 10:04 pm

exactly my point mission man. if everyone adopted this guys approach where would a beginner begin? certainly not at "my beach." its that kind of mentality, sad to say, that is slowly starting to creep into this sport and it basically is still in its infancy. don't kite at "my beach" unless you are experienced...

don't get me wrong. safety is a huge issue and i will be the first to admit that i'd be pretty angry at the bloke who goes and f's things up and gets kiting banned at "my beach." but that being said, where do you draw the line between helping someone kite safely and scaring them away from "my beach?"

i've read some pretty nasty kitemares on this forum from very experienced kiters too...not just beginners! :thumb:

bludger
Medium Poster

Postby bludger » Wed May 21, 2003 10:45 pm

Thers a big difference between friendly advice and F*** off, and it could result in people launching in areas that are not ideal, out of sight and then you get an accident and a local ban

Return to “Kitesurfing”