Fin sizing?

forum for kitesurfers

No Idea
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Fin sizing?

Postby No Idea » Sun May 25, 2003 2:56 am

I am riding a 150 x 40 cm TT with my 2003 17m Fuel and lately for some reason I don't seem to be able to hold my edge as well as I used when loading up to jump.

Would increasing the size of of my fins help hold my edge? I currently have 3cm depth fins and am thinking of going to 5cm.

Any advice or shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :thumb:

hansgoos
Rare Poster

Postby hansgoos » Sun May 25, 2003 10:23 am

I also had that problem, 5 cm fins will work great, or assymetrical fins and then you should go for 4/ 4.5 cm . Makes a world of difference

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 25, 2003 10:46 am

Fin size is much more than that...

On many TT's you can not increase the fin size - without destroying the board trim and finetuning.

And you also use the edge on most TT's - so fin size does not matter, if you are using the right "technique" for a TT.

But some TT's tend to be too loose, or maybe a bit round edged, or other - which means they can benefit from bigger fins.

Especially heavy riders prefer a tad bigger fins - whereas lighter often could do almost without the fins (which are mostly for keeping the board go straight - not for edge lift).

Some serial boards are even delivered with too deep fins, to work correctly (5 cm is too big on many boards).

It seems that the "table tray" style short wide boards with lots of rocker can go with quite big fins though, for all of us.

Just what we experience here.

Return to “Kitesurfing”