Amp or Hyrdo

forum for kitesurfers

Lalonde
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Amp or Hyrdo

Postby Lalonde » Tue May 27, 2003 5:49 pm

I am looking at getting a new kite for the lite stuff and I am interested in the Amp or the Hydro. Can anyone give me some advice on these two kites? I am a bigger guy, around 96kg, and flying in 12-20knts. My main board will be the SX 141. I have a 9m kite(I know that this is a small kite considering my size, but sometimes you have to deal with what you have available) now and have been flying for a year. I am living in Taiwan and there are only a few people here kiting and no real kite shops, so going out and trying the kites are out of the question and asking other kiters here is a no go. So I really need you guys to give me some real answers to which kite to get. I have done some research so looking at the rest of the forum has not given me any answers and I don't want to buy anything blindly :o I also don't want to hear about why I should buy something else, I have a good deal on getting a Wipika kite and I do not have the opportunity to get something else.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D And I know that this is the place to get some great advice it has helped me out quite a bit in the past.

Thanks to all that sharre their wisdom it does not fall on deaf ears :thumb:

Lalonde
Rare Poster

Postby Lalonde » Tue May 27, 2003 5:52 pm

Sorry I forgot to say that I want to get a 16m kite for now and I am considering getting a bigger kite later when the $$$ allow it

rb_stretch
Medium Poster

Postby rb_stretch » Tue May 27, 2003 6:29 pm

Both kites are good kites, they just vary in their characteristics.

The Hydro has more grunt as it flies further back in the window and is more forgiving due to it's lower aspect ratio. The AMP has higher performance as it flies further forward in the window and has a lot more lift for jumping.

Generally the Hydro is suited to less experienced kiters, but depending on your style it might be your first choice whatever your experience (apparently the wakestyle Wipika riders prefer the Hydro).

Me, I'm gradually changing from last years Hydro and Airblast to AMPs.

RB

Trikke
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Andora, Albenga, Tarifa
Favorite Beaches: Los lances, tarifa
Style: Waves to wakestyle, to g' old big airs!
Gear: '14 RRD 9m + 13,5m Obsession
RRD Poison 134x43, RRD AssoPigliatutto Pro, RRD Waveoff 5'6", RRD Domingo 5'8"x21"

Postby Trikke » Tue May 27, 2003 11:06 pm

I have a hydro and i can say it is very stable and forgiving if you're attempting new tricks,when it falls you can launch it in a blink of your eyes.
ciao

Stokes
Medium Poster

Postby Stokes » Wed May 28, 2003 1:17 pm

Yes, Mr. Lalonde
Apparently there is a legend guy up there in Taipei, in Taiwan.
They call him Ze Mosquito :o , and he can tell you all you need to know about kites.
Went out today, Golden Beach, pretty good, but would have preferred to have my other crew member there. Bit scary :o alone.
Let me know what kites we should get, maybe the Hydro is the answer.
Watch out for posers 8) , couple around, check the ridiculous topic:what's your beach transport :!:
Stokes :thumb:

Lalonde
Rare Poster

Postby Lalonde » Thu May 29, 2003 3:00 pm

Thanks to those that have replied. I really appreciate all the good advice, but there must be more people flying these kites. Can anyone else give some advice as to which kite to buy. :roll:

If you can include the pros and cons of each kite that would be great. I know that some kites perform better than others at certain sizes(for example the RhinoII and the ToroII, many say the Toro is better in the 16m size), is that true with the Wipika Amp and Hydro?

Come on all you Wipika kiters give a fella some advice. :(

As I said before there are no shops here and no one is flying Wipika.

Thanks again to those that have taken the time to reply, your advice is greatly appreciated and has not fallen on deaf ears. :thumb:

okikiter
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Torii and Kaichu
Gear: Caution Kites
Brand Affiliation: Caution Dealer

Hydro and Amp comparison

Postby okikiter » Sun Jun 01, 2003 1:38 am

Mike Davison here. I'm a Wipika certified Instructor and a Wipika Distributor here in Okinawa Japan. I have rode both the Hydro 9, 11 and the Amp 8.7, 11.9 along with the AB 8.4, 11.9and I have to admitt that the Hydro is a much more stable and forgiving kite. The Amp is very snappy and very responsive while powered up. Also, the Hydro seems to be a little more user friendly when water relaunching. If your considering a larger kite and you loose control and land the kite in the water alot, then this may be something to think about. If you don't, and you like the ability to make fast and carvy turns while powered up, then I suggest the Amp. If you need any assistance regarding Wipika matters, please feel free to ask. Here's our website if your interested in our info. http://www.seaka-sns.com

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:21 am

I am a 70 kg Amp 11.9 rider.
I was out on the 11.9 today in light winds 10-15mph and had no trouble relaunching it at all.
You do have to be a good swimmer and if you are still using a leash it will be harder to relaunch because you cannot swim very fast towing the board. I do not use a leash so I push my board ahead of me then swim to it when I am turning the kite on its back.
If you are still using a leash and plan to for a while then go with the Hydro other wise the Amp is a great kite with lots of power. :bye:

PS:
Have you looked at Brand Z kites they are really good and you can see them at my website http://www.brandz.com
Just kidding :bye:

Stokes
Medium Poster

Postby Stokes » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:24 am

Thanks Mike, at least somebody send a decent reply.Makes total sense. I am currently in Asia as well and will check out your site.In your opinion, 85kg's and flying AMP11.9, could I go as low as 8 knots? or should I go one size bigger? Board SX141.
Stokes :thumb:

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Sun Jun 01, 2003 2:33 am

Mike,
what are the wind ranges for the Hydro.
Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”