Forum for kitesurfers
chris_wenger
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Skoop II 9.0 or Wook 9.5 ????

Postby chris_wenger » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:18 am

First of all I want to say, that it is going to be a Takoon kite I'm going to buy, so please do not reply and advertise other Kitebrands !!!!!

I own already a Skoop2 14.5 and I am really happy with that kite. I think that the Skoop2 9.0 will be maybe too fast. Any comments on that. Would like to learn new moves, maybe waveriding. The kite will be also flow by my girlfriend. So for the moment I'm more thinking about the Wook 9.5. How about the lift and topend when you compare the 2 kites. Wook is lower aspect ratio. How does it like gusty winds => we have really unsteady winds in Finland :(

Peter, I count on your reply :)

nicolassss
Rare Poster

Postby nicolassss » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:28 pm

hi Chris,
the choice between these two kites depends what you want. These two kites have great depower ability. For waves and learning of tricks the wook should be the better choice. For waves the wook has a little bit more power in turns (good for the bottom and ripe the waves). The wook 9.5 jumps really really high but you stay in the air a little more with the skoop9. For me the wind range is similar between us. For waveriding I use 20m lines length and you come in the 3 dimensions area. Where I ride is really gusty (15-35knots) and the two kites can be managed easily in these conditions. For your girlfriend I think the wook is the best one. Finally, don't hesitate all my friends tryed it love it. :thumb:
Other for kite loop the wook 9.5 is THE machine... amazing!!!
Ride hard
Nicolas

Mickey mouse
Medium Poster

Postby Mickey mouse » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:05 pm

To all gearheads, a kite is a kite is a kite.
What I mean by that is that people should stop focusing on their gear and focus on there technique, maybe it's not the gear maybe it's the rider. Wind range, height of your jumps etc etc is 90% technique and maybe 10% your kite ( I am not ruling out the influence of last nights dinner or the moon phase cause the could be up there. personally I believe that yellow kites jump much higher.........:-) )
So I understand that if you need a new kite you want one that fits your needs but the differences between two models are not gonna be that great ( even though the manufacturer will try to make you believe otherwise )

So instead of this constant comparison between kites, stick with what you are familiar with and work on your skill.

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:15 pm

Last year I flew Skoops mostly. this year I use '03 Caution, Skoop2, Wook and a couple of '03 SS Fuels.

The 11.5 skoop2 is an essential kite... but I have to say from my takoons I mostly go with the Wook now... it does seem to be something special. I have 12 and 14 at the moment but I have tested the 9.5 and it was a great kite.

I mostly use the Cautions at the moment but in this size between the Skoop and Wook I'd go Wook for sure.

get a yellow one... I heard from a reliable source on the web that they jump higher :bye:

WILCO
Very Frequent Poster

Postby WILCO » Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:08 pm

Dr.Gonzo wrote:Last year I flew Skoops mostly. this year I use '03 Caution, Skoop2, Wook and a couple of '03 SS Fuels.

The 11.5 skoop2 is an essential kite... but I have to say from my takoons I mostly go with the Wook now... it does seem to be something special. I have 12 and 14 at the moment but I have tested the 9.5 and it was a great kite.

I mostly use the Cautions at the moment but in this size between the Skoop and Wook I'd go Wook for sure.

get a yellow one... I heard from a reliable source on the web that they jump higher :bye:

Dr. Gonzo,

which kite has a wider windrange the takoon skoop 2 9m, wook 9.5m and if you happen to fly it: the fuel 9m 2003?

:bye:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Skoop II 9.0 or Wook 9.5 ????

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:05 pm

chris_wenger wrote:First of all I want to say, that it is going to be a Takoon kite I'm going to buy, so please do not reply and advertise other Kitebrands !!!!!

I own already a Skoop2 14.5 and I am really happy with that kite. I think that the Skoop2 9.0 will be maybe too fast. Any comments on that. Would like to learn new moves, maybe waveriding. The kite will be also flow by my girlfriend. So for the moment I'm more thinking about the Wook 9.5. How about the lift and topend when you compare the 2 kites. Wook is lower aspect ratio. How does it like gusty winds => we have really unsteady winds in Finland :(

Peter, I count on your reply :)
Hi Chris !

Pheeeeeeew - I have been out today for 8-9 hours....

I am totally wasted now - it is a lovely feeling !

Only breaks were to change kitesize and/or boards now and then.

So much kiting fully powered is tough, and I would not do it normally to that extent - but as I will not get the opportunity to get out for at least 4 days now, I needed to burn out all the "fuel", so it is possible to survive 4 days without kiting :thumb:

To your question:

Go for the Wook 9.5 :P

It is incredibly stable and handles gusty winds so well.

The Skoop2 is a fast and a more nervous kite, which I dont think would suit your needs that well.

Although I use Skoop2 myself (but fly both the Skoop2 and Wook often in teaching and other situations), I would in fact recommend the Wook in the smaller sizes, for almost every kiter, regardless of which level.

When we look at big kites - then the difference between the Skoop2 and Wook becomes very apparent regarding speed.

But in the smaller sizes, the Wook seems to have all the advantages - and the 9.5 or 12 m2 is a size that everyone simply loves :P

Upwind performance and windrange is not that different on the Wook and Skoop, so dont worry about that.

So IMO there is no doubt, that you should take the Wook 9.5 - and as you already have the Skoop2 14.5 - they will complement each other perfectly.

The 14.5 is the best of the Takoon kites IMO (although others swear to the Skoop2 11.5), and up in these sizes I really prefer a higher AR faster kite.
But in the smaller sizes - the Wook is awesome.

And relaunching is so much faster too.

I am so sure in what I say here, that it might sound a bit like "advertising" - but as you say you want a Takoon, you dont have this issue to think about.

Have Fun in Finland !

chris_wenger
Medium Poster

So then let's Wook

Postby chris_wenger » Fri Jun 06, 2003 7:50 am

Hi Peter

Exactly the information I was looking for. Big thanks :)

Dr.Gonzo
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr.Gonzo » Fri Jun 06, 2003 10:19 am

Agreed with peter :thumb: ( except for me the 11.5 skoop2 is the 'must have' )

Wilco.. I use a lot of kites and test even more. I don't think any kite yet has the wind range of the Skoop. imho.

Foxi
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Walchensee - the bavarian caribbean ;-)
Favorite Beaches: Lake Walchensee / Bavaria
Lake Garda / Italy
Paracuru / Brazil
Style: RED
Gear: Fanatic Sky Wing 5.6
Duotone Unit 2 6.0 / 4.5
Sabfoil Kraken M93/F703/S486/S425/W945/W999/W1250
Groove Skate
Moses Onda
Ozone Alpha V1
F-One Trax
North Mono & Neos

Postby Foxi » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:29 pm

Peter et al:

just to avoid any misunderstanding:

given let´s say 25kts constant wind: does a Skoop2 have a faster flight speed as a Wook or do we just talk about turning speed. The kite I´m looking for should have a good control on its "driving" speed as well - my girl friend doesn´t like mega accelleration in husts - nor di I ..

aloha !

HT

nicolassss
Rare Poster

Postby nicolassss » Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:49 pm

a skoop is faster than a wook. Then for you and your girlfriend the wook is perfect and it is a no technical skoop.
Go riding and riping with wook !!!
nicolassss

Return to “Kitesurfing”