Mamoot 19 or Rhino2 20

forum for kitesurfers

Jonathan
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Mamoot 19 or Rhino2 20

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 11:35 am

I'm looking for a BIG kite, and can't really decide. I have never ridden with either and there is no way I know to test them. I'm a fan of both companies smaller kites, but know that the rhinos are generally more robust. The Mamoot on the other hand seems to be (or at least is advertised to be) an evolutionary kite in terms of performance.

I next kite down is a 16, so I'm also wondering if the 19 is really all that bigger step, to justify a new kite and all.

The other option is the rhino, and get a 70cm bar, which should make up for turning speed; although the rhinos aren’t the lightest kites around.

I'm just wondering what all you people would do in the same situation.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:05 pm

The Mamoot is not available at the moment and who knows, when.
The Rhino2 20 is already on the market and people are very satisfied with it, like myself.
I fly it with a 55cm bar and have a lot of fun with it, so no need for a 70 cm bar!

I don 't know when the Mamoot will be available, if it will be soon, you may wait for the first reviews and hope to get one or you will wwait the whole summer for it and get it when it is cold again....

Good luck
Toby

Jonathan
Frequent Poster

It's cold here now...

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jun 08, 2003 1:07 pm

I'm in Australia, Melbourne, so arguably it's never warlm. Cold never stopped me:)

My thinking for the 70cm bar is that I still want to be able to jump. My thoughts are that in low wind (bellow 10kts) the waters normaly glassy. So it has the potential to be allot of fun. I use a 60cm bar on my 16 and don't really like riding that in winds less than 15kts and I weigh less than 70kgs. So I presume I'd be better off using a 70cm bar with a bigger kite.

I'm in no real rush, so I can wait for the Takoon. But if I'm going to go with the Rhino I'd rather get it now. I was hoping that someone here might have tested the Takoon.

That picture on the Takoon website (the sunset one) has motivated me into another obsession:)

DP
Medium Poster

Postby DP » Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:48 pm

Its not a problem to jump the R2 20 with a smaller bar. this is my everyday kite and i jump it all the time with a 55 cm bar.
light kites. you mean bar pressure or weight.

DP

hansgoos
Rare Poster

Postby hansgoos » Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:10 pm

I would defenitly go for an gaastra phoenix, i've seen these kites in cabarete. These kites have really much low end power, and much jumping performance. You could sometimes see those kites going, jumping and doing transitions wit 8-9 knots. And somebody was riding the 21.5 in 20-23 knots !!! so it also depowers great, and it is really fast for such a big kite.
Gr. Hans

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Jun 08, 2003 4:08 pm

ok, if you have time, you might wait for the Mamoot and Gaastra Phoenix.
Otherwise get the Rhino2 20, it is worth its money.
If the others will be better, we will know in about 4-6 weeks, I guess.

Toby

Johnpenxa

Postby Johnpenxa » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:02 pm

Not biased on the subject are we? Oh wait, the banner just rolled over. All is clear now!

:o

Just out of curiosity, if & when Takoon, Naish etc end up in your sponsor section, will life on the forum be as “black & whiteâ€

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any

Postby Dwight » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:56 pm

Johnpenxa wrote:Not biased on the subject are we? Oh wait, the banner just rolled over. All is clear now!

:o

Just out of curiosity, if & when Takoon, Naish etc end up in your sponsor section, will life on the forum be as “black & white”.

Toby, by not mentioning the X3 20, slinger 19, etc. etc. etc are you implying that these big kites are “not worth the money”

:roll:

John Penxa
Why are you so mean to Toby? Look at the original question being answered.

Johnpenxa

Postby Johnpenxa » Mon Jun 09, 2003 6:24 pm

Why are you so mean to Toby? Look at the original question being answered

Meanness does even enter the picture.

My comments are based on my observations of his behaviors, actions and practices.

If those comments are seen to be less that positive then the reader should consider the actions and behaviors being discussed.

Here’s a question for you, “why is shoot the messengerâ€

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:27 pm

I only said the Rhino2 20 is worth its money.
It is, so where is the problem?
I never wrote another kite is not.
I didn't test the X3 20, so how could I compare and talk bad about it?
Just because of a banner?

And I wrote, that if he wants a kite NOW, the Rhino2 20 is a good choice.
Maybe other kites are as good as or even better, but from the Rhino2 20 I know it works great, for me and many others I'm in contact with.
many other people in the forum agree on this, why don't you check their websites for banners and observe them as well? Just to find out they choose a kite which they prefer? Really bad boys if they ride what they like :duh:

And I wrote that if he has time, he should wait for the reviews and decide then which one he thinks is the best for him.
Maybe I will fly it as well? mmmmh, you once again observed right, I have to get a banner of that brand before I can fly it!!!
This is just too funny :lol:

Waiting for your next observation.... :allbegood:

Toby

Return to “Kitesurfing”