Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Cabarete Event day 3 (martin double handls pass)

forum for kitesurfers

PH
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Cabarete Event day 3 (martin double handls pass)

Postby PH » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:12 pm

:thumb:
PKRA/CABARETE FREESTYLE SINGLE ELIMINATION LADDER NO CAKEWALK!

(June 26, 2003-Cabarete, Dominican Republic)- Following on the heels of the difficult Trials competition, the Freestyle single elimination ladder was started at 2pm, in 20-25 knot winds. From the beginning of heat one, it was obvious that all riders competing would have to work hard to advance! Achieving a solid placing in the singles ladder will determine the work- load ahead in the doubles ladder. Both the Men's, and Women's ladders were completed up to the Semifinals round.

The Men's competitive field is packed with talent and all the riders making it into this Main event are of the highest level!. Handle passes are becoming a part of the competitive landscape, with some riders managing them with more consistency, though in 'overall impression' a 'one trick pony' will need to demonstrate versatility, creativity and flow. Early on some very surprising upsets left some normally strong riders behind in round one, such as Marcello Cunha BRA, Malik Bouchenafa ALG, Sky Solbach USA, Mark Shinn UK, Jeremie Eloy FRA, Jose Luengo ESP, and Alvaro Oneiva ESP. These riders will all get their chance to climb back up in the doubles ladder!

In the man on man formatted round two, for the Men, a few notable defeats occurred. Eighteen year old, Christian Brouwer NED, beat Abel Lago ESP. In a close and exciting heat, Andre Phillip ANT passed by the promising Jose-Luis Ciriaco DR, both pulling off phenomenal tricks, both high and powered! Adam Koch USA, was undone by Dominican favorite Luciano Gonzales. And probably one of the most significant conquests came in the heat, and subsequent reheat, between Will James USA and fourteen year old Aaron Hadlow UK, in a controversy over whether the judging body realized young Aaron was wearing a 'harness ring' when scoring his handle passes, a re-match was run. Demonstrating incredible maturity on the part of Hadlow, he gutted out the rematch by transferring his energy into a second win over James! The ordeal exemplifies the trend towards the new style of 'handle passes and consequences', yet demonstrates that versatility and creativity, alongside technically difficult moves, wins in overall impression! Making the 2nd win even sweeter, Hadlow went on to advance over Etienne Lhote FRA in the Quarterfinals! The other matches leading into the Quarterfinals were Jaime Herraiz ESP beating out Steve Kellner UK, the two hot young guns, Mark Doyle USA and Giani Aragno ESP, with Doyle winning, and David Tybuski USA having to step aside for Martin Vari ARG, who executed a series of 'vari'ations of handle passes in his repertoire, most notably, a double handle pass over 20 feet high very close to shore, to the applause of the crowds! Of late, Vari's performances have been like a matador in the ring!

In the Men's Quarterfinals, more shakeups occurred. Young Brouwer NED defeated the number 4 World ranked rider Herraiz ESP. Phillip ANT undid the last rising Dominican Gonzales. Previously mentioned, Hadlow UK won over Lhote FRA. The finish to the Quarters is stalled until a rerun of the heat between Mark Doyle USA and Martin Vari ARG is completed, apparently due to some controversy over a judging snafu. The winner of that heat will move ahead into the last open slot of the Semifinals.

The Men's competition will continue with the Singles Semifinal round:
Christian Brouwer NED versus Andre Phillip ANT
Aaron Hadlow UK versus TBD (Vari or Doyle)

The Women's competition was also full of excitement and upsets! Starting with some Top names left behind in the first round, Fabienne D'Ortoli FRA, Laurel Eastman USA, Julie Prochaska-Gilbert USA , Kristin Boese GER, and Fiona Wedenig SUI. All of these women are solid and experienced, and have always upped the riding level in the women's division, Their losses are indicative that here, as in the Men's field, as the participant numbers and sport grow, competitive pressures increase!

In the Women's Quarterfinals, 19 year old wildcard, and Tour unknown, Susie Mai DR took down veteran Claire Bunton UK. Consistent Ingrid Kollbichler AUT held her slot over a strongly improved Andrea Wharry UK. Rebecca Wolthers USA, freshly recovered from a shoulder and ribs injury, and absent for the Tour start, conquered a fighting Laurence Laliberte CAN in an energetic heat. And, Cindy Mosey NZ managed to hold her place against a determined and promising Petra Goeschl NED. The Women's field has been blowing minds as they close the gap between the genders in performing hot freestyle action!

Their competition continues with the SinglesSemifinals round:
Susie Mai DR versus Ingrid Kollbichler AUT
Rebecca Wolthers USA versus Cindy Mosey NZ

Scheduled for tomorrow, a skippers meeting at noon, with a possible start into the finish of the Freestyle Singles competition, at 1pm, with a continuation on to the Doubles ladder!
For more photos go to http://www.eventsfoto.com
:thumb:

Johnpenxa

Postby Johnpenxa » Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:16 pm

Awesome recap!!! :thumb:

Keep them coming!!!!

cheers,

JP

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:48 pm

yeah, thx a lot for the reports, Fab!!!

Greets
Toby

FLYMAN
Medium Poster

ring arness

Postby FLYMAN » Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:31 am

So its looks like Aaron's handle passes with the hulla hop count the same points as doing them with pure arms... lucky boy.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Re: ring arness

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:21 am

FLYMAN wrote:So its looks like Aaron's handle passes with the hulla hop count the same points as doing them with pure arms... lucky boy.
Perhaps it is time we rewarded people who use leashes, and actually mark down people who do not.
The more Aaron flies and uses the Storm 2, the luckier he gets!
He is a very talented young kite flier, someone to watch for in the future for sure!
Awesome report, thanks.

FLYMAN
Medium Poster

Postby FLYMAN » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:32 am

correction: everybody is now using leashes for handle passes, but most people unhooke, so it is more technically demanding that just drop the bar and rotate in your hulla hop.
Dont take me wrong, Aaron is a great rider, and he can probably win this event, but I really think than this arness is cheating. He can still win without the ring... :bye:

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Jun 28, 2003 3:41 am

FLYMAN wrote:correction: everybody is now using leashes for handle passes, but most people unhooke, so it is more technically demanding that just drop the bar and rotate in your hulla hop.
Dont take me wrong, Aaron is a great rider, and he can probably win this event, but I really think than this arness is cheating. He can still win without the ring... :bye:
I said it that way cos I was not sure if leashes were compulsory at that event.
I disagree that he is cheating by using the ring. What advantage do you think it gives him over the other riders leashes, or the other riders unhooked technique?

PH
Medium Poster

ring

Postby PH » Sat Jun 28, 2003 4:49 am

he is in a ring...so even if he misses the bar...the bar will not fly away
with a leach, well, the bar is gone and the jump is fucked...
...so , I think he is cheating...

but, still looks kinda' cool....

either way, both are way better then I am :cry:

Aloha.......
.....got to go out and practice more tomorrow.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster

Re: ring

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Sat Jun 28, 2003 6:55 am

PH wrote:he is in a ring...so even if he misses the bar...the bar will not fly away
with a leach, well, the bar is gone and the jump is fucked...
...so , I think he is cheating...

but, still looks kinda' cool....

either way, both are way better then I am :cry:

Aloha.......
.....got to go out and practice more tomorrow.
Practicing - sounds boring?
If Aaron misses the bar, the jump will be fuked too! All it really does is stop his kite hurting someone else if he drops the bar.
There would be a bit less weight on his arms, but his movements must be a little restricted by the ring, so I think he has no real advantage and is not cheating.
If he was cheating he would be disqualified, wouldn't he?

It would be good to hear from other competitors or the head judge, maybe they all accepted that Aaron has no real advantage?

Some of the better riders I know, are suspicious about whether it does give Aaron an advantage. It would be useful to hear from Aaron too.

At least everyone on this tour has to wear a leash, and these riders are right at the pinnacle of kiteboarding innovation.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Sat Jun 28, 2003 8:50 am

It's interesting to note that no ram airs made it. Just goes to show, on those performance criteria that are important for comps, rams just aren't up to it ie:
- Upwind performance
- Jump height and hangtime
- Control
- Speed & turning

Return to “Kitesurfing”