Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

breaking bones crashing? happened to you?

forum for kitesurfers

hawaiikiter
Frequent Poster

breaking bones crashing? happened to you?

Postby hawaiikiter » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:07 pm

i wiped out pretty hard the other day going at high speed and loosing the edge and i realized how much it must hurt slamming from 18 feet and so.

how much does it take to brake a rib for example?

and can you dislocate a shulder buy landing wrong in the water?

also my feet hurts sometime after landning high jumps a little to fast and to flat.

can you get a brainconcussion from slamming hard on your head? guess so.

what are your experiences? any broken bones?

maybe it´s time to buy a helmet and an impact vest...are impact vests enough to keep you floating?

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: breaking bones crashing? happened to you?

Postby RickI » Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:17 pm

hawaiikiter wrote:i wiped out pretty hard the other day going at high speed and loosing the edge and i realized how much it must hurt slamming from 18 feet and so.

how much does it take to brake a rib for example?

and can you dislocate a shulder buy landing wrong in the water?

also my feet hurts sometime after landning high jumps a little to fast and to flat.

can you get a brainconcussion from slamming hard on your head? guess so.

what are your experiences? any broken bones?

maybe it´s time to buy a helmet and an impact vest...are impact vests enough to keep you floating?
Guys have broken ribs from hitting only water from bad jump landings. I suspect that I would have broken ribs a few times but for the impact vests that I have worn for a years. If you arms are over your head at time of impact , say during an unhooked move, the risk of fracture goes up.

I can't help you on the shoulder dislocation but there are lots of past injuries waiting to reappear with a nice impact so who knows? Guys have dislocated shoulders kiteboarding, I do know that.

As to brain injury, any time your brain sudden slows down very rapidly the potential for impact (against the inside of your skull) and torsion related trauma exists. In practice though I am not aware of many obvious problems, that guys have reported anyway, with impact against water. Then again if you crash and burn FAST after a botched kite loop or smoke into a bad landing from 30 to 45 ft. high, who knows? A helmet may help with impacts against hard objects. Against water it may actually hurt due to added mass and impact area considerations. Then again, look at all the lofting accidents ending over land. A helmet only makes good sense. Just pick one that fits very well, has low weight and drag, doesn't pickup water weight significantly, has good padding for the weight and stays secure.

If you are good enough to make higher jumps you need to consider doing whatever it takes to land somewhat under control. Otherwise ... ?

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: breaking bones crashing? happened to you?

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Tue Jul 01, 2003 2:39 am

"RickI" wrote:
Guys have broken ribs from hitting only water from bad jump landings.
Been there. Done that. Well, actually only a bad bone bruise on the jump landing, but really cracked getting slammed not even jumping, just loading up for one & hitting the water!! After missing 6 weeks of riding I now will NOT ride without an impact vest or PFD.
As to brain injury, ...I am not aware of many obvious problems, that guys have reported anyway, with impact against water.
I've concussed myself crashing only into the water on a SAILboard, so I imagine it's possible on a kiteboard too.
Last edited by kiteboarder@pacbell.net on Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

redsc1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby redsc1 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 6:54 am

I had an accident about three weeks ago in which I concussed myself and spent several hours in ER at the local hospital. At the time I was wearing a helmet and impact vest and these undoubtedly saved me from either a much worse head injury or breaking any bones.

I know it is personal choice, but from my own experience I would never kite without either my vest or helmet.

Simon

captain pugwash
Medium Poster

Postby captain pugwash » Tue Jul 01, 2003 7:43 am

It could take next to nothing to render you unconscious, even with a helmet : I came down badly last summer from a jump over water, my body curled into a ball and my hand managed to catch one end of the bar, the other end of the bar swung round and clocked me on the chin...my world span for about 30 secs before things got back to normal and I body dragged back in.

Return to “Kitesurfing”