Waist-Harness

Forum for kitesurfers
philippinho
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Waist-Harness

Postby philippinho » Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:44 am

I am having the new Waist Harness of Naish but do have some problems that it goes up all the time. What about the Dakine-Harness? Prolimite? Do you have other suggestions?

philipp

Dwight
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Florida
Gear: Any
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Dwight » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:24 am

They are all pretty similar. Some are a little better than others, but nothing radically superior. The best one for staying down so far, I think is the North Styler. It has a huge belly/bar pad that provides a 360 degree body wrap. You feel like the harness grips you a full 360 degrees. More area to grip, means less chance of riding up. It also makes the bar comfortable even when twisted upwards.

R!
Medium Poster

Postby R! » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:42 pm

I've been using the Naish Waist Pro with bar pad for a few weeks now and I must say I like it quite a bit. I thighten it down hard and it stays in place quite nicely.

It is my impression that whether a waist harness works for you or not depends mostly on technique and ...ehhhmm body shape. Ride with your kite low, lean back with with your upper body (hips up, shoulders down), don't drop your butt even a little. If your waist region is too spherical :wink: even good technique might not help. Most local riders prefer a seat harness as it allows you to take some load with your legs and ride more relaxed. I go with a seat in gusty conditions, which can be hell on my back. I also feel a bit better balanced with a lower hook... again a matter of body type and preference.

R!

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:09 am

i ride the dakine thermoform and find it best if i pull the belt up above the spreader this keeps the spreader way low and stops it riding up.

the dakine waist spreader pad does the same thing.

rolltide
Frequent Poster

Postby rolltide » Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:46 am

Dakine Pyro :thumb:

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Fri Jul 04, 2003 3:31 pm

The best thing to keep the waist harness in place is look for a "rubber-rubber" contact between harness and wetsuit. The Dakine Thermoform, for example, have rubber in the inside, not Lycra.
This make a big difference!! So get a rubber finish harness, a good wetsuit with the same finish and forget about the riding up problem!

CaymanWind
Medium Poster

Postby CaymanWind » Sat Jul 05, 2003 4:14 am

I am a new kiter and so spend a great deal of time in the upright position. I use a Dakine Thermoform with the spreader bar pad and don't have a problem. An impact vest also helps with a bit of extra padding.

WANTSOME

Postby WANTSOME » Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:45 am

Just got the Naish Pro + spreader bar pad...after my 3yr old DaKine Nexus gave up the ghost..

Vnice bit of kit....Vcomfy...spreader bar`s staying put....superb....

Would of liked 1 of the new DaKine Kite Thermoforms but they want £170 in the UK!!!!!!

I`ve never had the problem of the waist harness riding up..

Thatspec
Medium Poster

Postby Thatspec » Mon Jul 07, 2003 3:09 am

While I always thought a waist harness was a bad idea, the point was driven home recently during a bad crash. I was nearly pulled in half when I hit the water before the kite and dragged while underwater. I felt my back arched to almost the breaking point and this while wearing a seat harness. Had I been wearing a waist harness... well its hard to say but feel I might have been badly injured. To give you an idea of the speed involved, the kite tore in half on impact right up to the leading edge bladder ( now why wont this thing relaunch?.....ohhhh! )

Needless to say, I've been keeping the experimental stuff a bit closer to the water and will certainly not be switching to a waist harness anytime soon.

in the interest of public safety, MT

eutanator
Frequent Poster

Postby eutanator » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:08 am

till last week I used a waist harness, but I learn to jump and often finish by crashing in the water and need to relaunch the kite. So after a few relaunches it's go up and make the ride very uncomfortable - I had the problems to breath fully and easily.
Than I decide to change it to seat h (dakine fusion). Now it's always on the right position, but often I feel that something is wrong with my balls :o
and also it isn't so comfortable in the back.
So till now I didn't find good enough option. I'm considering dakine pyro, maybe this one for real doesn't go up.

Return to “Kitesurfing”