Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wipika Appalling

forum for kitesurfers

The Gimp
Rare Poster

Wipika Appalling

Postby The Gimp » Tue Jul 08, 2003 12:10 pm

Wipika, as a rule, have fallen off the pace. They dropped their bundle about 2 years ago, and haven't really picked it up again.

Wipika had problems with mylar leading edges 18 months ago. Their big kites were infamous for exploding along the leading edge seam and for delaminating.

Recent Wipika developments do not inspire confidence. A lot of their kites have black leading edges and struts - this indicates that Wipika don't really think much about the details of their kites - the 1% issues that produce an excellent kite. A black leading edge is prone to huge pressure increases when exposed to sunlight (making it prone to exploding) and also hastens UV deterioration.

Industry-wide is is acknowledged that Wipika have fallen off the pace. Wipika have tried to fight back with a "trendy" campaign of recruiting seemingly well-known kiting identities like Mauricio, Flash, Lucifer. This angle indicates that they have lost their focus a bit. Firstly, spending big $ on kiting "identities" at the cost of R&D is short-sighted and superficial. Secondly, their lack of research and insight is evident in their choice of pro-rider. All these guys are yesterday's heroes; the top guys on tour could smoke their asses any day.

In terms of flight, Wipikas fly ok, but they aren't brilliant. Build quality is very good, but not exceptional.

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Hernan » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:56 pm

The company has go thru many changes, designers, marketing, etc. This was not good for the image of this brand.
In 2001 they have the best kite by far, the Airblast, even a good kite by today standards. When you hit the market with a so succesfull product, everyone is waiting for another "super" product. This is not always possible.
Wipika products has some problems with materials but the custumer service was, overall, good. The latest ABs are very good kites and the AMPs too. I think that the problem is more about marketing than products.

kjelleren
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjelleren » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:06 pm

THe AIrblast is a hard kite to beat for range, massive leaps, and all around performance. I have 01s and 02s. I'm now on 03 Takoons, which have a similar feel and a better low end. To call Wipi apalling is just silly. They have been a leader and were extremely responsible when they had product material issues. I had all my Wipis replaced for free.

Gary

Protos
Frequent Poster

Postby Protos » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:15 pm

Also the fact that their head guy left and formed Takoon is probably a factor in the reported falloff in kite design/quality.

threetreeptr
Medium Poster

Postby threetreeptr » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:46 pm

Gimp, certainly your comments didn't just pop out of nowhere. What is your hidden agenda, why are you so pissed off? That would be a far more interesting read than the color of a kite...

Rick Mazza
Rare Poster

Postby Rick Mazza » Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:28 pm

Gimp.
Your words sounds ridiculous.
Wipika has the best warranty support.
I don´t use wipika, but I recognize their superiority.
It looks like you have something against Wipika kites.
Don´t be so parcial.
Go kite and stop write bullshit.
(and we all have to read this?)

Rick Mazza

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wipika Appalling

Postby windshreder » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:16 am

The Gimp wrote:Wipika, as a rule, have fallen off the pace. They dropped their bundle about 2 years ago, and haven't really picked it up again.
As a rule? what the fuck does that mean? The Amp and Hydro and Airblast are all great kites. In fact the Airblast set the standard for other kite companys to beat for 2 years.
The Gimp wrote:Wipika had problems with mylar leading edges 18 months ago. Their big kites were infamous for exploding along the leading edge seam and for delaminating.
Name a kite company that has not had any production problems?
The Gimp wrote: Industry-wide is is acknowledged that Wipika have fallen off the pace.
Where did you gain this knowledge? Name someone in the "industry" that is dissing Wipika.
The Gimp wrote: Wipika have tried to fight back with a "trendy" campaign of recruiting seemingly well-known kiting identities like Mauricio, Flash, Lucifer. This angle indicates that they have lost their focus a bit. Firstly, spending big $ on kiting "identities" at the cost of R&D is short-sighted and superficial. Secondly, their lack of research and insight is evident in their choice of pro-rider. All these guys are yesterday's heroes; the top guys on tour could smoke their asses any day.
100% of Wipika's customers will never be as good as "yesterdays heroes." How much should they pay to get the "top guys?" Would they be less expensive so they could spend more on R&D? (A very flawed argument.) Dude you need to lay off the weed when you try to put togethere some ideas to post.
The Gimp wrote:In terms of flight, Wipikas fly ok, but they aren't brilliant. Build quality is very good, but not exceptional.
Please post your review of the flying qualities compared to other kites. Also suggest how the build quality could be improved to be "brilliant." Wipika reads this forum and will fix any flaws you can point out.
Wipika stands behind their products and will continue to do so with great after the sale customer service.

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MadMick » Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:29 am

I am sick and tired of irrational,angry responses being posted here,that get really personal,and then finish up with some comment about "get off the weed" or,"lay off the pipe:drugs:hash:etc.

Why bring the weed into it??
Whats wrong with weed man?
It has nothing to do with it!!!
I love the weed!! So do many others!!

If you dont like it,bad luck!! Just give up the lame cheap shots that only mean something to boofhead rednecks!! :jump: :rollgrin: :cool2:

windshreder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby windshreder » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:11 pm

MadMick wrote:I am sick and tired of irrational,angry responses being posted here,that get really personal,and then finish up with some comment about "get off the weed" or,"lay off the pipe:drugs:hash:etc.

Why bring the weed into it??
Whats wrong with weed man?
It has nothing to do with it!!!
I love the weed!! So do many others!!

If you dont like it,bad luck!! Just give up the lame cheap shots that only mean something to boofhead rednecks!! :jump: :rollgrin: :cool2:
Mad Mick,
I dont think my comments are angy :angryfire: or irrational :advise: . Weed does have something to do with rational thought. Do you light up right before you balance your checkbook or right before you go grocery shopping?

I have nothing against the weed. Most of the guys I kite with love the stuff too. I cant do the weed because I cannot do it and keep my job. Dont think I would if I could though.

I didnt mean to offend the all of the stoners on the forum, to them I say light up :cool2: :jump: :cool2: another one and chill out :mosh: and go to the 7-11 for some munchies.

(international translation: 7-11 is a convience store in the USA that sells junk food)

Return to “Kitesurfing”