forum for kitesurfers

tricky_rik
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

New quiver or not

Postby tricky_rik » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:41 pm

Hi there
Started kiting about 3 months ago and I fly Rhino (2002) 16m and 12m. I got these kites because they were quite reasonable and I didn’t want to spend too much before I really knew what I was getting into
As it turns out I’m totally hooked on the sport and am considering investing for the future.
I weigh 90Kg and use a 150 x 40 twintip. I can edge upwind fine and feel very comfortable when powered up and have just started jumping.
I have a couple of issues with the kites over their wind range.
I need at least 13 knots to get going on the 16m and by 18 knots I feel a bit over powered. With the 12m I need at least 17 knots and get over powered at approx 23 Knots. So with 2 kites I really only have a 10 Knot wind range.
Is this bad technique or am I restricted by the kit. Ideally I want to sail between 10 Knots and 30 Knots.
I was thinking maybe ditch the 16m rhino for a 20m Rhino2 and get another smaller kite. Or should I stick with what I’ve got improve my technique and get cheaper 2003 kites next year and accept that my Rhino 1’s will have a poor resale (obviously money is a factor but I accept I will need to spend at some point).

Thanks in advance for any input

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:31 pm

Pumping a brand new kite is a very nice feeling. If you got the money and you want to, go and buy a new quiver!!!

The Rhinos are not bad for learning. Some of the newer designs will give you more range without doubt. There are some different types of kites. For your first year, a kite with good depower would be easier to control and perform in a variety of conditions.

MadMick
Very Frequent Poster

Postby MadMick » Thu Jul 10, 2003 10:22 pm

Probably lack of experience.

At your weight you should be able to hold the 12 up to 30 knots.( I think)

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1991
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V4, 9/14 Enduro, Zephyr V5, Edge V9 10M Axis 5'7" Kapua, 5'4" New Wave, Patrol 1.48, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" Ride engine carbon elite, rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisBoarding

Re: New quiver or not

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Fri Jul 11, 2003 6:13 am

tricky_rik wrote:Hi there
Started kiting about 3 months ago and I fly Rhino (2002) 16m and 12m. I got these kites because they were quite reasonable and I didn’t want to spend too much before I really knew what I was getting into
As it turns out I’m totally hooked on the sport and am considering investing for the future.
I weigh 90Kg and use a 150 x 40 twintip. I can edge upwind fine and feel very comfortable when powered up and have just started jumping.
I have a couple of issues with the kites over their wind range.
I need at least 13 knots to get going on the 16m and by 18 knots I feel a bit over powered. With the 12m I need at least 17 knots and get over powered at approx 23 Knots. So with 2 kites I really only have a 10 Knot wind range.
Is this bad technique or am I restricted by the kit. Ideally I want to sail between 10 Knots and 30 Knots.
I was thinking maybe ditch the 16m rhino for a 20m Rhino2 and get another smaller kite. Or should I stick with what I’ve got improve my technique and get cheaper 2003 kites next year and accept that my Rhino 1’s will have a poor resale (obviously money is a factor but I accept I will need to spend at some point).

Thanks in advance for any input
Sounds like your kites are not tuned properly, you should be able to get going and stay upwind on that board with a 12.0M R1 in around 13/14knots?
Sounds like the front lines are too short compared to the rears, as you should be comfortable on that kite, even at your level until about 25knots at least? When you say you are overpowered at 23 knots, is that because you are so depowered you cannot steer the kite anymore?

Return to “Kitesurfing”