Kiting since: 2003
Style: Surf, freeride & freeslide
Gear: Kites: Powered
Boards: Surf & homegrown paulownia strapless kite surfboards
Brand Affiliation: None

Mastair or TITAN?

Postby Kaito » Tue Jul 22, 2003 3:53 pm

Hello all,
I am looking for a good light wind kite for myself, a 67kg rider.
Of course I still want a good amount of depower for safety and
to have a broader wind range.
The big question I have is this;
Buy an older 'Mastair' NOW as they are less expensive.....
OR
SAVE / wait and buy the a Titan?

Also what sizes would you all reccomend on both Mastair/Titan....(12?)
In 6 to 12 knot winds, I weigh 67kgs.

Thanks!
Looking forward to hearing what you all have to say.
K.

Jurjen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Jurjen » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:57 pm

I would pick the Titan. I got a mastair last year and a warrior 7. I like the warrior, but i think the mastair should have been more stable (and for me faster and more nervous).

I did learn to sail on it though so it's not really bad, but i guess i'm just spoiled.

I would go for a titan 12.5 (perhaps you can get them cheap second hand in a short while).

If you decide to go for a mastair you should try the 9 meter too, it got lots of power (and you'r not that heavy).

Cortex
Frequent Poster

Postby Cortex » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:08 pm

If you have the cash it is a simple question to answer: go for the Titan 15.5 or 18.5. These kites rock!
If you are on a budget I'd actually advise you to save up the money needed and still go for the Titan. :)

If you are planning to really go as low as 6 knots I think you should go for the Titan 18.5, the 15.5 will also work but the 18.5 will give you some more grunt in these low winds. Also both of these kite will take well above the 12 knot limit. The 15.5 you could probably hold to 18-20 knots with a small board.

martyc
Rare Poster

If your going for a used kite go for the warrior

Postby martyc » Tue Jul 22, 2003 5:15 pm

The titan is the new warrior as such(stable and well mannerred etc), however the mastair is the high performance model that is not that easy to handle.You are not really comparing like with like as far as i know.
Marty.

Jurjen
Medium Poster

Postby Jurjen » Tue Jul 22, 2003 6:03 pm

Well i don't find the mastair that hard to handle compared to a warrior. It just not as stable, and possible to fly it trough it's own bridle, that's all.

Kaito
Frequent Poster

Mastair or TITAN?

Postby Kaito » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:27 pm

Thanks for the input!
I will take your advice and hold of till I can find a second hand 12.5 TITAN.
Just hope I find one SOOOON! I'll have to control my desire.....
By the way - What type of wind range are you all getting on the TITANS?
Is there really tons of depower resulting in a HUGE wind range?
I guess I find it hard to believe...My Toro has very little range.... : (
The TITAN will be the first foil for me. : ) & I can't wait to get one!!!
Hope you all are able to ride soon.
Regards,
K.

SkyScrab
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Brand Affiliation: FLYSURFER HQ

Postby SkyScrab » Tue Jul 22, 2003 11:46 pm

I have one and it makes me going upwind (66 Kg 160 Bidi) in 10-11 Knots. Maybe with some practise its possible at 9 or even 8 Knots with my weight.

The depower is really huge, with a loose.it 165 i had no problems at all at 18-20 Knots. And i am still a beginner.

With my LWD 136 i need at least 13 Knots with the Titan to have fun.

Greets
Ferdinand

Mike B
Rare Poster

Postby Mike B » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:00 am

I've got a 15.5 Titan and It's awesome! It's super easy to relauch and water is not a problem for this kite! I've only been out on a small lake by my house and the wind isn't very steady. Just really getting a ride from the gust's, watching the windline come across the water. 18mph, gust would blanket over the lake and it was a dream. I weight 80kg and ride a 147cm, flat piece of 3/4" plywood, 16" wide. I got caught once without my edge in and the kite downwind and went for a super fast deathrun. Just held on and flew the kite back up to 12:00. I'm still pretty much new to the water so my board skills need some work. It seams like it's all starting to come together with this kite.

Super stoked on this kite. What can I say. Fill's up with air fast. Thought I would preinflate it before I layed it on the water to water launch. Drifted downwind in position ready to launch perfect. When I was ready just pull in the depower strap and this kite float's right off the water.
I had a 12m jojo wing and that kite would stall in light winds when I would try to launch it straight up to 12:00. The jojo rage was a nightmare if it sat in the water for over a minute.
My new 15.5m Titan is a dream. It doesn't stall when launching it straight up off the water in light winds. I've already given it the full swim test and it will relaunch if there's wind.

The speed of the kite and the turning abilities of it are amazing. Doing power stokes with the kite is no problem. Light bar pressure but still lot's of feal for the kite. WIthout touching the depower strap the kite fly's slower and doesn't go out of the window that as far. With the depower strap pulled in about half way or full makes the kite fly alot faster. And it will easily get to the edge of the window quick in overpowered situation's.

This is truely a kite that has let me focus more on rideing my board on the water and not worrying about the kite. I see now why there coming out with a 18.5m and a 20 something Titan. The 15.5m flys and turns like its way smaller.

Ohh...yeah.... The topic----uh
Definately get a Titan. Got lofted twice in a row when a big gust hit me and the kite didn't fall out of the sky. I was out on the water and had the kite @ 12:00 and kept it there but pulled the bar all the way in. Any of my older foils would off dropped out of the sky along with me, then sank! lol

I'll review more as I get some steady winds and head for the beach.

Kaito
Frequent Poster

Mastair or TITAN?

Postby Kaito » Wed Jul 23, 2003 4:15 am

AAAARRRRRRgh!
Reading all these great comments about the Titan is killin me! My 'want' is becoming a 'need'...hahaha!
Esp. your in depth scoop on your experiences with yours Mike!
You all are tempting me to sell my LEI to just go Flysurfer all the way!
And I have a feeling I wouldn't regret it... : )
Keep hav'n fun everyone.
K.

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:47 am

Hi Kaito,
I think you might need to get one size bigger Titan, I weigh 75-80 kgs and my 12m mastiar starts to go upwind on a 145 x 45 in 7 knots in 10 + I'll be on my Newwind 143 x 34, from all the reports I've seen and heard the 12m Titan starts a few knots later.
The mastair is a pure lightwind performance kite but stock it has no power/depower just brakes, whereas the Titan is like a slightly tamer/easier psycho imo.
You can modify the mastair to have power/depower with manfred's uds and spider bar which makes it a great kite but might bring you near to the price of a new kite.
At the moment I'm experimentling with a WAC system on mine.
Basically I'd say that if you want what is probably still the most performing lightwind kite out there and are prepared to modify the bridle and spend quite a bit of time getting the trim perfect get a 12m mastair. If you want a kite that's more or less ready to go with a few tweaks get a Titan but maybe one size bigger than the mastair.
Anyway, if you can, try them first because every kite has a wind speed when it starts to get reactive so even if you weigh 67kgs you still want a kite that'll be reactive in the wind speed you want to be kiting in.
I haven't seen any kite that does anything other than slow cruising in less than 7 knots on big boards, maybe the bigger kites will jump a bit earlier but the 12m mastair jumps well in 10-12 and it's a fast small manuoverable kite.
There are kites that are good in lightwind but they can't work miracles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”