Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Takoon mamoot windrange

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Jul 24, 2003 9:42 am

Jan A wrote:
I ride The Mamoot, and if you like your 14.5 you will like it. It,s the same kind of kite. I haven't tried the upper wind limit. 12 knots is max i have tried, and thats no problem at all. I'm 65 Kg on a mutant 150*38. I think the high end wil be high almost 18 knots i guess. But i'll get back when i have tried it
It dosent steer that much worse than your 14.5 on short lines (27 m), but it's a bit heavier. It flies realy fast, and i think you need a fast board to use it in light wind. I use 38 m lines when it's light. I don't know how soon it starts? 6 knots is my guess, i measured 3 knots, one time and could only sail down wind. When our local weatherobservation shows 6 knots or more , i can usually sail. Make small jumps. Some times you fall like a rock, if you don't steer the kite agresively in light winds in the jumps. So the Rhino is propelbly easyier to jump with, but to much power when the wind picks up. I tried the 18 it pulled me sideways in 10 knots, couldn't hold the edge with that beast. So i prefer the Mamoot it seems way easier to control power in.

Hi Jan, could you be a bit more precise about the windrange of this kite please?
You say you think you need a fast board in lightwind and don't know how soon it starts, you guess 6 knots and also guess it can go up to 18 but couldn't hold the Rhino 18 in 10 knots. Then you say with the mamoot you can ride downwind in just 3 knots and can usually sail and jump in 6 knots.
Have you actually done any of this or not because you seem to be contradicting yourself mate?

Can you actually fly the kite in 3 knots or just your broken anemometer?
Can you really jump in 6 knots?
Or are you just interested in selling them?
Maybe if you state an accurate windrange people who buy one will be happy with them, if not they might actually try riding downwind in 3 knots and jumping in 6 and not be too happy if they can't.

It'd also be interesting to hear what Peter has to say about this new kite because aparently he agrees that anyone who sez they can have fun in as much as 10 knots must be lying and you're having fun in less, he flies Takoon too.

So are you guys trying to sell us a great lightwind kite or a load of bullshit?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:07 am

the friend of mine on the Mamooth 19 did start earlier than me on the R2 20. It was about the same, but he weights 10kgs less than me and had a 7cm longer and bout 3cm wider board.

Minimum wind: 10 knts

Thx for pointing this out, Jo. This would be too good to be true.

Greets
Toby

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:12 am

Hmmm, that's quite a difference Toby. So you reckon it doesn't get going in 3 knots and jumping in 6 but more like 10. :cry:
No man it must be true, the big caution kites start in just 3 knots too, bit less than last year when they started in just 1 knot but still a really great performance all things considered.
Truly unbelievable
:wink:

flashboarder
Frequent Poster

mamoot = expensive toy?

Postby flashboarder » Thu Jul 24, 2003 10:55 am

If you need to wait on 9-10 knots to start riding, then I really don't see the point a buying such an expensive toy unless you don't know what to do with your money...

Jan A
Rare Poster

Postby Jan A » Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:31 am

I don't know what to say about the windrange, it was a gues based on lokal observations. The measuring is to unsure with the handheld anemometer, the wind in 30-40 m height is a lot different.
But i have sailed the mamoot when a friend was full powered on a Lift pro 15.5(18 knots according to observations). It fly's extremly well to neutral, this is a problem for me when jumping high. The kite is to advanced for my skills, i prefer my skoop2 17.
In light wind it needs realy stable wind to perform, i think 6 knots (not under at anytime) is when i can start jump it (65 Kg big fast mutant). But its more like i am doing the jumping, not the kite, i fall like a rock, no lift at all it feels like.
So the windrange is much about your board and weight, and how stable the wind is. Some days i can use it when the wind is measured to be 6 knots, other days i can't.

Return to “Kitesurfing”