"Keep It Low" or "Stand in Water" at Sup

forum for kitesurfers

kiteboarder@pacbell.net
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

"Keep It Low" or "Stand in Water" at Sup

Postby kiteboarder@pacbell.net » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:21 am

We're writing rules for our local side-onshore super-gusty, super-shifty launch site, to prevent banning.

All the old-time locals (except me) think it's safer to require everybody to launch while standing in thigh to waist-deep water & carefully fly through zenith, instead of sanding the kite at the water's edge & keeping it low, avoiding zenith altogether.

They claim that it's a location-specific thing, & they won't even try the "keep it low" method, because they've seen less skillful riders have difficulty with that here.

What do you people think?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:55 am

better wouldbe if the launch help would be in the water and you as well, but the kite has to point to the open sea, so when you fly it up in the zenith you will be pulled in the water.

Greets
Toby

Mr Jo Macdonald
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mr Jo Macdonald » Fri Jul 25, 2003 9:37 am

Hi Mel I have the same problems here because of the short beach of my local launch full of umbrellas and cabins/cement walls. In lighter winds we launch standing on the beach (pretty close to downwind obstacles) with the kite pointing towards the sea, keep it low n go stylee, but standing next to obstacles means you can't make a mistake, especially with the lines or kite flying. When the wind and sea pick up the beach can get even smaller, some people have the kite launched from the water while standing on the beach next to the obstacles, others stand in the water launching the kite from the beach. If I do this it won't be nukin (I'd be at another beach, no way I use this launch in strong winds) and I'll keep the kite low pointing at the beach while i walk back into the sea (you need a kite you can depower a lot to do this), then when I'm say 100m from the shore I'll pass it past zenith real slow bending my knees as it gets near the top rising and walking towards the kite as it gets to zenith to take the tension out of the lines, then I keep the kite low pointing out to sea and walk back to the beach to get my board.
Bigger beaches and launching seawards "keep it low n go" stylee are definately better imo and the only way I'll launch in anything over 15 knots.

mickpilch
Very Frequent Poster

Postby mickpilch » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:04 am

side-onshore super-gusty, super-shifty launch site
find another beach where its not an issue!

Hernan
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hernan » Fri Jul 25, 2003 11:22 am

Some help in gusting conditions is a good thing. We launch feet in the water and helper on land, passing through zenith. Being in water gives you some handicap. Passing the kite slow and well depowered, never cause me any problem. I a gust hit, a controlled feet or body dragg is enough to get the kite to the other (water) side. If is nuking, waist deep and kite to the sea is the way to go.

Every spot is a different story but general rules apply to all.

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:55 pm

I use a massive beach but am equally disturbed by launching in nukin conditions.

if its manageable wind, i.e 10 - 17 knots, then i will launch towards the water from land and keep the kite high at zenith if not 10 degrees from it. Reason for this is that its the kites natural neutral and produces the least pulling.

If its nuclear, i.e 20 - 25 knots, I'm waist deep and launching with kite on land inches from the water and keep it lo so so lo, till my feet are in and away i go.

not annonymous
Very Frequent Poster

Postby not annonymous » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:35 pm

I launched too big of a kite in shallow water and got lofted immediately.

I very quickly flew over shallower water (it was a sandbar because the beach was covered with stones) but could not tell how deep it was and when I landed "blind" I severely sprained my ankle and maybe broke something. The water was between waist and knee deep. I could not walk for a few days and if I hadn't just spent $1500 on a kite I might have been able to afford to see a doctor for some treatment.

My foot still gives me problems a year later.

I was stupid and kooky for launching the way I did and in so much wind,
But the thing with launching in relatively shallow water is if you do get lofted you can not spot your landing well and even if the water is clear the distance to the bottom is decieving. It may be hard to tell if there are any obstructions in the water you might land on. I landed on sand bottom but because I could not spot my landing and brace properly I still hurt myself. It is easy to hurt yourself when things happen fast and you know it is too shallow not to land feet first.

If the less skillful riders are having problems getting their kite in the air and getting off the beach then for sure they should not be tring to launch and ride in gusty conditions.

The advice not to ride at all in such conditions sounds pretty good to me. Didn't you learn your lesson already Mel?

Trent

EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY
Very Frequent Poster

Postby EdDy_DiFfUsIvItY » Fri Jul 25, 2003 3:44 pm

skuse me for jumpin in here trent but if you got lofted immediatly doesnt that mean a error of judgement occured and too larger kite for the wind was put up ?

Regds.

Ron.

ILLIN 1
Rare Poster

Launch with kite towards the water

Postby ILLIN 1 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:31 pm

Mel,

For sure there are risks with both ways....but launching the kite with it pointed (pulling) towards the direction you want to end up is the least risky solution. You might get pulled off your feet and drag a few feet in the sand but you will NOT catch big air unless you want to.

NEVER take it to zenith on (near) land if you don't have to.

Out

fokiten

Re: Launch with kite towards the water

Postby fokiten » Fri Jul 25, 2003 4:52 pm

ILLIN 1 wrote:Mel,

For sure there are risks with both ways....but launching the kite with it pointed (pulling) towards the direction you want to end up is the least risky solution. You might get pulled off your feet and drag a few feet in the sand but you will NOT catch big air unless you want to.

NEVER take it to zenith on (near) land if you don't have to.

Out
Hey did not mean to quote this,,,
Ok I think it is perfectly clear, you guy's insist on launching in a gust onshore site,,THIS IS YOUR BIGGEST PROBLEM,,you live in S-cal,,,you got cars,,so the issue is not which launch method is most likly to kill you the issue is you are too lazy to drive to a better launch,,,
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM,,,
OK fine your nuts,,nothing new in that,,,BUT now you are trying (whining) that your buds are more nuts????
it is the battle of the half-wits,,,
My take,,,if your nuts your already fucked,,
Mel your about safety,,,your pissed about safety,,,your fucking pissed that the athority's are up your assNO,,,,,Wait you are happy,,,now you can see the people you think are nuts go to jail,,,
Do you see where this is going????
you launch iresponsibly,,
you want to see your fellow kiter's hauled to jail,,
you want them to agree that your right for saying they are wrong it is pue fucking ego,,
If you where a safe kiter you would drive to a safer launch,,,but NO<<NO
you want to be recognized as a SAFE KITER,,you just are NOT
that is the Truth,,,Thank GOd the athority's are on to you unsafe lazy knuckle heads
your efforts ARE the REASON for the trouble,,,
You however are blinded by your ego,,
THAT IS WHY you are dinged up and whineing
fokiten

Return to “Kitesurfing”