Forum for kitesurfers
kenneth t
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Anyone tried the North Dragon S/L?

Postby kenneth t » Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:24 pm

Just wondered if anyone had anything to say about this board...

THE POWER
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dragon boards

Postby THE POWER » Wed Aug 06, 2003 6:19 pm

There are lots of previous reviews of the Small dragon board by Dwight if you do a search you should be able to find them.

I have the large and weigh about 74kg and it is now my only board here is a review I did

This is a review of the large dragon after two full days of sailing, so bear in mind these are still early impressions. Previous board was the Jamie pro 141. First of all visual inspection this board is stunning to look at ,beautiful design, love the green dragon,very very light ( I hope this board holds up). This board is much thinner than the Jamie but still with lovely soft rounded edges. really nice Tarifa fins which have a concave to match the board actually they bend the board a bit when tightened strange. Seems a little bit flatter rocker than the jamie. It has an almost imperceptable 1mm of concave across the boards width, and a very funny subtle turn up at the nose. Its best not to describe as a picture is the only way of appreciating how strange this feature really is. Still a very flexible board but not as flexible as the Jamie. Ok what does this all do My theory is that the very subtle concave together with the tip effect gizmo makes for amazingly soft landings. I just could not beleive how softly this board touches down even from bad landings. My theory is that the shape encourages a layer of air to be pushed through the board via the tips to dampen all the shock. You really can land this board flat. In fact it is probably the best way to land. This board alone has increased my landing success by about 30%.

Secondly the pop you can achieve from this board is way better than the jamie giving you the ability to go for much bigger moves with more rotations if you like. This board has a lot more bite than the Jamie(could just be the fins though) keeping the kite low and digging in your edge will give you more ability to hold your edge than the Jamie.

Thirdly speed. Ok the downside is that this board slaps into chop a bit more than the Jamie although that is to be expected because of the width and that is where the Jamie excelled. So my initial impressions were that is was slower than the Jamie. I have now changed my mind coming in through the swell well powered up the dragon board is amazingly fast. The Jamie would get to a certain speed and over that it became uncontrollable wanting to come out of the water and skittering around. With the Dragon you can place your back foot nearer the centre of the board and because of the boards complete lack of volume and edge holding abilities you are able to keep your speed really high.

This board is a definite improvement over the Jamie and definitely worth investing in pure for its soft landings.

Tom

Return to “Kitesurfing”