Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Problem with my 03 BT 12m.

forum for kitesurfers

Yaron
Rare Poster

Problem with my 03 BT 12m.

Postby Yaron » Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:51 pm

Has any body experienced a similar problem to the one I've experienced?

I have been riding my 12m Cabrinah BT 03 for about an hour. Noticed that the front bladder is not inflated enough. Came back to the beach and inflated it a bit more (nothing excessive - as I usually do). Left it laying on the beach for about 5-10 minutes - an overcast day - no direct sun, white/yellow sand: nothing unusual so far.
As I was rigging the lines up again, the tip of the front bladder exploded. The edge of the front bladder's "sleeve" suddenly opened and the front bladder's tip just exploded and blew off. Very irritating excperience. This kite is brand new. That was the 3rd time I've used it.
I've heard from other kitesurfers at the beach that Cabrinah's 2001-2002 where known to be problematic, but that the 2003 models where improved.
Any similar experiances? Any ideas regarding the liabiliuty of the distributer/manufacturer? :bye:

ralph
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ralph » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:46 pm

I saw the same with a Gaastra GXR 19.5 last week at the beach in Holland. It blew up exactly the same way as you described it. The owner tries to claim it at his shop.

Good luck,

Ralph

kite boardertje
Medium Poster

Postby kite boardertje » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:10 pm

had same problem with mine 12 and 17 just go back to the shop i think it is a waranty issue

or wait till new slingshot 2004 is coming out :evil:

Anatoli
Rare Poster

Postby Anatoli » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:24 pm

My friend had the same problem recently with his 2003 20.0 BT on water and another guy had such problem on the ground with his 9.
It is funny to see all owners of Cabrinha here which are usually busy all days long trying to fix their problems with bladders. Just incredible how could they sell these Chinese toys for such big money. I wouldn't buy Cabrinha even for 300$ although I admit when they fly they fly well.

Anatoli

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:40 pm

deffo sounds like a waartey issue, bring it back to the shop place it on the counter and ask for a replacement. i wouldn't even except a repair, you'd lose to much value if you were to try and sell it second hand. obviously not fit for its purpose.

Anatoli
Rare Poster

Postby Anatoli » Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:21 pm

kitedude, what you are saying is just what I was saying to local Cabrinha dealer who like others has problems with bladers in all his Cabrinha kites. I don't know how it is for real but he claims that his European supplier located in Denmark doesn't give any warranty for bladders. Do you think it is true? And how is it with other brands?

Kitedude
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kitedude » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:24 am

as long as you followed the instructons and did nothing that was not recomended you should be covered under your consumer laws. In our country we are coverd under the 3 R's. if a product breaks the retailer must either repair, replace or refund the product. the contract of sale was between you and the shop. if there is any problem with the distributor thats between him and the shop. you brought of the shop not the distributor.

Cabrinha did have aproblem with their 2001 bladders, it could be the same problem. but your kite should be coverd and any reputible dealer should look after you.

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby experienced1 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 4:07 am

Yaron:
if I understand you correctly, the LE tip which is folded over and secured with velcro came undone and your LE bladder blew at the tip very near the white mark cloth...right? there is no tear in the LE bladder casing? I have seen this once before. Your local dealer/distributor should provide you with a new leading edge bladder...there is nothing wrong with the bladders on the '03 Cabrinha's or the '02s!
It is possible that the LE was not fully secured by the velcro. On the kite I saw, after we installed the warranty bladder we spent about 50cents at a fabric store and purchased some sticky back velcro. We added a strip about the same length as the original (right next to it) and there hasn't been a problem after 2 months of heavy use. For insurance, we added extra velccro on the other end of the LE as well.
And just for the record, I think I have seen kite(s) from every major manufacturer explode on the beach...some LE bladder tip ends, some had the LE horizontal seam spit apart, and some of the seams that create the segments in the LE of exploded.

Jupu
Medium Poster

Postby Jupu » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:42 am

Very simple, open the tips and see to it that the bladder tip locking system is ok. The Tips will explode on any kite if they happen to open up - I´ve been securing them with extra tape, velcro would be even better. The BT tips are wide all the way to the end making it possible for the bladder to pop out if the lock opens. The North Rhino LE bladder tip lock system is total bullshit ( but the LE tips are veru narrow ), they made it very unsecure, it requires special attention and getting it locking the bladder is difficult. I was pumping my Rhino after a repair and I luckily stopped in time when noticing that the bladder tip had again come off the lock and glided one meter inside the LE... having souped up them a little, the locks are much better now. Nothing is perfect.

Return to “Kitesurfing”