Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Will Pump Me Up have a nervous breakdown?

forum for kitesurfers

Blashy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Will Pump Me Up have a nervous breakdown?

Postby Blashy » Sat Aug 16, 2003 4:03 pm

The Peter Lynn team riders in Greece have had some excellent competition results in Paros for the first Greece kite surfing event for this year.

The event was held in 21-30 knots with most riders getting out on 8m - 12m kites.

Billy Paraskevopoulos pulled out a few tricks from his own bag to sit
comfortable in 2nd spot after a full knock out round with Yannis Andrianakis slotting in 8th spot - both out riding on the 10m +13m Guerilla with some nice floaty jumps.

Billy Paraskevopoulos also taking out the hang time event in the strong winds at the end of the event. With his winning jump of 4.89sec flying the 10m Guerilla in the final claiming the hang time champion.
Blashy: This can not be, PMU must have a scientific explanation for this :roll:

Billy reports in saying "I could have gone longer if I used the 13m Guerilla"

Also James Hewitt in England put together a fine show at the King of the Air comp in Lowertof. The event was a few knots short for the hang time event, so in replacement the event organiser held the "best trick knock out round" with James riding the 18m Guerilla landing an array of Front Loop board off manoeuvres to claim 4th.

Well done guys, great to have such highly talented riders on the team.

Peter Lynn Kite Boarding.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:42 pm

ATTENTION:

"Joe Bloggs wins the Granny Smith Invitational World Kite Championships on a RAM AIR!

In a tight competition, Joe narrowly pipped Freddy Smith (flying a one line kite with a picture of Daffy Duck on it!) and Janey Smith (flying a one line jumping machine with long streamers from the tail, and some lovely tinkly bells on the trailing edge which made a cute noise when the wind got over 3 knots)."

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:46 pm

Why do ram lovers keep on holding up these obscure little events that nobody has ever heard of as evidence of the superiority of ram airs?

Anybody can win an event riding anything if the field is small enough and the event is obscure enough.

Ram proponents claiming success in these backyard comps actually works in reverse... If rams can't cut it in the major comps with the big boys, it seems a little bit sad for them to claim success in the 3rd or 4th tier comps.

At the start of this year, ram lovers boldly stated that ram airs (like the FS Psycho) would dominate the pro circuit this year. It hasn't happened. NO ram airs are in the top 50 on the PKRA, and for what it's worth, the KPWT. Ram airs can't cut it in the BIG comps because they are aerodynamically inferior to inflatables.

Anybody can win some crackpot backyard comp. The serious comps (National Titles, PKRA, and KPWT) will invariably be won by inflato riders because they are, unquestionably, aerodynamically superior.

Pump me up
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pump me up » Sat Aug 16, 2003 11:49 pm

PS: The above comments are not meant to disparage Billy Paraskevopoulos or James Hewitt.

I'm just trying to say to the ram lovers... "If you believe your kites are good, prove it in the big comps."

Congrat's on your wins Billy and James!

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:47 am

hehehe I get a laugh everytime ARCS are much more then winning competions and $$$$.

Its about hassle free Fun kiting with Equal performance just depends on how you look at it.

PMU WHO ARE YOU? WHAT DO YOU RIDE? ANY PICS? ANY VIDS?

99% of every major comp is LEI if it was 5050 you would see some real competition.

Rod

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:29 am

F12 flyer, do you really mean it when you say hassle-free fun kiting ?? You have no hassle at all with your Arcs ??? Because that is not what I see at the beach. Self launching an ARC is more of a hassle than a LEI with the lines wrapping around the ends.

You only win in not having to pump, but when wind is really light, your kite might not fill enough to fly, I have seen it happen, that Arc-riders could not kite because the wind at the launch site was not enough to fill their kite....

And I have to agree with PMU, trying to prove your point with a win in an obscure event works contra-productive.....

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:05 pm

alf I dont know where you kite or who kites around you. I can launch my arcs mainly F-arcs quicker then ANYONE and I mean that. I never have had a problem I dont kite in 2 knots so I dont know if arcs can fill up. I kite in 12 knots plus and it seems pretty dam quick even then compared to LEI. above 20 knots its less then 30 secs.

Ive dont have problems with launching its far easier to launch an F-arc then a LEI and once in the air its much more harder to Crash.

But hey thats me I know My gear like you know yours. So I guess there just as easy as each other but no matter how you look at it I can setup and launch quicker then you.
:wink:

ROd

F12-Flyer
Frequent Poster

Postby F12-Flyer » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:12 pm

Oh here f12 and what I call a normal launch notice I was launching with one hand and holding the camera in the other.

http://home.iprimus.com.au/reflex82/Arclaunching.zip

Rod

X3_Flyer
Rare Poster

Postby X3_Flyer » Sun Aug 17, 2003 12:28 pm

I would have to agree wit F12_flyer, i have an arc and when its windy u dont even need to pre inflate just a couple of shakes and ur off.....i would say unrollin lines and launching about 3 mins

if an LEI can do it quicker than that ill be very very suprised.

ARCS in RAIN??? dunno. i wreckon they could take a lil drizzle....pooring rain maybe not...but then when do u kitesurf in the rain. :P

SAME!

Alf
Frequent Poster

Postby Alf » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:21 pm

Well the experiences I have seen are with G-Arcs, and people that side-launch them have frequent problems with lines wrapping around the end of the spar.

And about the filling, when your launch site is a little "in the shade wind-wise" you can have much less wind at your site than up in the air.

You are perfectly right that in high winds, you fill up your arc quicker than I inflate my LE, that's right.

I just saw you launching vid, and in that kind of wind its okay, but in higher winds, the downwind tip will flap, and you have the possibility of it getting around the spar. I have seen it happen often enough. And I can launch my inflato with one hand also, I mean if you cannot fly with one hand, you should still be taking lessons... ;)

Return to “Kitesurfing”