MIAMI TIPS

forum for kitesurfers

Mandy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

MIAMI TIPS

Postby Mandy » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:08 pm

I m going to a work in Miami for 10 weeks.
Someone knows what are the condition there? kite size? spots? Shops?

Thanks all

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: MIAMI TIPS

Postby RickI » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:16 pm

Mandy wrote:I m going to a work in Miami for 10 weeks.
Someone knows what are the condition there? kite size? spots? Shops?

Thanks all
Checkout the following at the USA Group:

phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=6858

For someone weighing about 175 lbs. kites ranging from 12 to 16 m would likely prove useful although the odd front could toss out winds that could require a smaller kite. So if you could come prepared for winds from less than 15 mph to 30 mph, even higher you should have things well covered. In reality it may be less than 15 mph most of the time, but who knows what the fall will bring THIS year. Winds are up and down and in the fall largely brought on by cold fronts. Lots of access issues in the Miami area so read over the posts at the above link. Water-play.com has the largest store in Miami and there are many other good stores scattered througout the rest of the State.
Last edited by RickI on Tue Aug 19, 2003 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hwenn
Medium Poster

Miami Tips

Postby hwenn » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:03 pm

Bring sizes 20-12, and hope you'll get enough wind to use the 20, the wind ain't too strong here.

Peace

Henrik

Timah
Medium Poster

Postby Timah » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:34 pm

It sux here right now. Rig big!! We had some good wind last week but that has been it for a month or so. Hopefully september will bring some good wind.

Tim R

Mosaic
Medium Poster

Postby Mosaic » Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:58 am

While the wind has not been consistent lately, there have still been some good days. I have been able to ride about 4 days out of the last 2 weeks, including one day were it was about 18-22 all day (well that was probably the exception since a tropical wave was coming in), but you will definitely get some riding in. I probably use my largest kite (20M X2) 80% of the time, and other days a 14. Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions about riding on Miami Beach (mosaic2112@hotmail.com). The winds should start picking up a little in consistency as the summer fades to fall as well.

Enjoy.

Mosaic
Medium Poster

Postby Mosaic » Sun Aug 24, 2003 10:50 am

Bring the biggest kite you have, and don't listen to the wind forecast - there is often more wind then advertised (ikitesurf) - ikitesurf tends to tell you that there is no wind, but there is typically enough to ride - 10 -12- when they say 8-10, which is enough to ride.

Would not recommend waiting for the wind though if there is no forecast - it tends to pick up sporadically if there is no forecast. A couple of us always sit out there waiting for the wind so pick up if there is a forecast for over 10 (8-12 per ikitesurf), so it might be worthwhile to come out. 50/50 that you get out in thr 8-12 forecast,

Return to “Kitesurfing”