Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Am I the only one addicted to kitesurfing and windsurfing...

forum for kitesurfers

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None

Am I the only one addicted to kitesurfing and windsurfing...

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:34 pm

Here on the forum, everone tells about how they have sold all their windsurf gear, and are getting addicted to kitesurfing only.

I am 100% addicted to kitesurfing, but also to windsurfing (Freestyle and Waveriding), and to surfriding (shortboards and longboards).

But am I the only one to "not give up windsurfing" ???

I have not gotten rid of any of my wave/freestyle equipment (up to 5.8m2 sails), and still loves to be out blasting around frontside in big waves, or freestyling with friends - especially when the wind is 25 knots or so.

I dont want to hear from all those who have stopped windsurfing, and only kite - but am a bit keen to hear if there are other experienced high level kiters, that windsurf too ?

Here, most are either kitesurfing OR windsurfing.
A lot of intermediate kiters do both, but it seems more like a hobby to those, and not full addiction !

I feel a bit alone !!!

Anyone out there ?

theflyingtinman
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Am I the only one addicted to kitesurfing and windsurfin

Postby theflyingtinman » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:43 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Here on the forum, everone tells about how they have sold all their windsurf gear, and are getting addicted to kitesurfing only.

I am 100% addicted to kitesurfing, but also to windsurfing (Freestyle and Waveriding), and to surfriding (shortboards and longboards).

But am I the only one to "not give up windsurfing" ???

I have not gotten rid of any of my wave/freestyle equipment (up to 5.8m2 sails), and still loves to be out blasting around frontside in big waves, or freestyling with friends - especially when the wind is 25 knots or so.

I dont want to hear from all those who have stopped windsurfing, and only kite - but am a bit keen to hear if there are other experienced high level kiters, that windsurf too ?

Here, most are either kitesurfing OR windsurfing.
A lot of intermediate kiters do both, but it seems more like a hobby to those, and not full addiction !

I feel a bit alone !!!

Anyone out there ?
I only widsurfed for a couple of seasons many years ago so I didn't give it up for kitesurfing. Can't say I've felt any urge to take it up again now that I've started kiting but I was at King of the Bay last weekend and I have to admit I was more impressed by the windsurfer tricks than I was by the kite tricks. Have fun.

Steve T. (putting on my flameproof suit ;) )

kitesurf73
Frequent Poster

Postby kitesurf73 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:52 pm

Moast people cant afford or have the time to do both things..:)

How did it go with your thorns in yore kite...And thanks for recomending kiteshops in denmark nowadays I order al my stuff from denmark ..... :bye:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:53 pm

Thanks Steve - nice to hear a good honest reply !

maui
Medium Poster

Postby maui » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:34 pm

No your not the only one that loves to windsurf and kite. I love wavesailing on my windsurfer here on maui's north shore, and love to kite too. Other people like Alex Aguera and Robby Naish also do both. When the waves are big windsurfing rules and in summer the kite is way more fun.

CC
Very Frequent Poster

Postby CC » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:05 pm

I still have my wave board and 5.3 + 4.5 sails and I will definetely keep it. The problem that I have is that can't do both simultaneously ! So what to do ? During summer with the lighter winds (4-5bf) I prefer Kitesurfing. During winter with gusty and strong winds I prefer Windsurfing. As long as you have fun on the water it doesn't matter what you do!

Sake
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Sake » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:41 pm

Case: Last year I had a complete windsurfset(waveboard+3 sails) ready to be used. In case I wanted to windsurf in strong and gusty winds I kept the windsurfstuff.

Result: Never touched the windsurfstuff.........no better proof then that to sell the windsurfstuff.

NB1: A Hydro5 2002 is very easy to use in force 6-7-8 and gusty( quit a difference to an AMP)
NB2: Most of the time I would not even care to bring "the heavy windsurfstuff" with me.
NB3 Nice waves to windsurf in are pretty rare here. Say max 10 times a year with also decent winds
NB4 With a wife and kids eventually time lacks too
NB5 ONLY 2 reasons to windsurf again instead of kiting would be:
1 kitesurfban
2 No proper launcharea for kitesurfing
NB6 I windsurfed for 15 years. 2 years I even did competitions

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:07 am

Hey Peter,

My response is the same as SAKE.

I used to be even more fanatical about windsurfing. About 12 years ago I moved to the Chicago area and the windsurfing conditions here are terrible most of the time. I then had to travel to the Gorge, San Francisco, Hawaii, etc. to get my ya-yas out. I ended up taking up big boat racing for the last 10 years since I couldnt travel all the time

This is my second sumer of kitesurfing and I LOVE IT. My windsurifng gear is in the attic collecting dust. :cry:

I had this conversation with a friend just yesterday. He asked me the same question: I told him if it was perfect 4.5 conditions and perfect waves and I had a choice I might go windsurfing. Otherwise the kite is so much easier to transport, set up, ride -and have fun- in 10-35 kts, breakdown, packup and go home with an awesome buzz. 8)

I've had some unforgettable days windsurfing over the past 20 years, but the kite has opened up a whole new world for me. And I don't have unlimited time (or money) to enjoy both, so for me I am afraid that "windsurfing has been cancelled" for the most part.

If you can keep enjoying both though. Being on the water and using the wind is the most important thing. :thumb:

cheers
:bye:
Roberto

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:18 am

Only windsurfed once in the last four years (cyclonic conditions with gust of 30 knts variations), although I had been at it for 30 years already.
All I do now is kite when it blows and surf when it doesn't.
Nico

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:50 am

I have sold most of my windsurfing equipment. I have only windsurfed once in the last 3 years. I still have one small board and a few wave sails but I don't seem to ever use them. When the wind blows I always grab my kites.

The problem is that windsurfing is only really fun for me in waves. Kiting is way more fun on flat water. But I have to travel to get to real waves and hauling the windsurf gear around just isn't worth it. So I guess the last of my windsurf gear will probably just gather dust. Nothing against windsurfing.. I spent many happy years at it.

:wink:
Chris Glazier

Return to “Kitesurfing”